Hymer damp advice please! (1 Viewer)

Hughieboy

Free Member
Jul 30, 2017
Funster No
Good Morning!

This is my first post, just joined up yesterday. Hope someone can help.

I'm going to look at a 1994 Merc based Hymer (last of the Classic shape), it all looks in good condition and is available at a really good price. I've seen lots of photos and it looks in really good nick although it has done a lot of miles (270,000 km). It has the so-called Million Mile 5 cylinder Diesel engine so I'm not overly worried about that as it comes with history.

But I'm trying to get a balanced view on damp readings. It had a hab check in March which showed approx 12% readings nearly everywhere apart from along the lower back which would be where the sink, fridge and bathroom are. There are two readings, one of 40% and one of 60%. Now I have a good quality damp meter I use for assessing damp in buildings but I don't really know how to translate what I find with it in a motorhome. In buildings, you take into account metal work that may be behind where you are testing which always gives a high reading. I'd like to gauge what is a problem and what is not. I'm a practical bloke and mechanically minded with a garage full of tools so a bit of stripping and drying out doesn't faze me but beyond checking for obvious signs of mould, softness or damp smells how would I best approach it? I don't want to miss out on a good deal but equally don't want to buy a money pit.

Hope someone can enlighten me!

Many Thanks :)

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Unusual for a hymer to have damp.
The reading seems high.
Most would probably say walk away, could be a very expensive repair.
You could get it professionally check to try and find out where damp coming in.

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Hughieboy

Welcome to FUN, 12% would be absolutely normal(y) 40% and 60% suggests you should be having a look at this area, is there any marking/staining on the internal wall in this area where the readings are high, were the readings taken with a prong or contactless meter (I don't know how the latter work) if you can't find any rot or soft areas I would just buy the thing and have a good check over all the seams when you get it home, its an "old Hymer" on a "old Merc" so not much can go wrong, I believe I know of the van you are talking about and think it has been well maintained through it use.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Can't advise you but
animated WelcomeGroupSmiley.gif

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

Hughieboy

Free Member
Jul 30, 2017
Funster No
Hi Hughieboy

Welcome to FUN, 12% would be absolutely normal(y) 40% and 60% suggests you should be having a look at this area, is there any marking/staining on the internal wall in this area where the readings are high, were the readings taken with a prong or contactless meter (I don't know how the latter work) if you can't find any rot or soft areas I would just buy the thing and have a good check over all the seams when you get it home, its an "old Hymer" on a "old Merc" so not much can go wrong, I believe I know of the van you are talking about and think it has been well maintained through it use.

Martin

Hi Martin,

You know the van?

Yes, I believe it has been well maintained and is an ex hire van. Funnily enough, the hire centre it used to belong to is just down the road from me. Just concerned because the owner after them kept it for less than a year and the person who has it for sale now can't have had it for more than a couple of months. We have a limited budget, it appears to be a good deal and I'm inclined to agree with you about it being an old Hymer so just get in with it, but I just wonder why it's changing hands so often and feel suspicious about inheriting a problem.

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Martin,

You know the van?

Yes, I believe it has been well maintained and is an ex hire van. Funnily enough, the hire centre it used to belong to is just down the road from me. Just concerned because the owner after them kept it for less than a year and the person who has it for sale now can't have had it for more than a couple of months. We have a limited budget, it appears to be a good deal and I'm inclined to agree with you about it being an old Hymer so just get in with it, but I just wonder why it's changing hands so often and feel suspicious about inheriting a problem.

OOPs sorry different van:LOL: there is an old Hymer for sale on FUN that has been well used and well looked after, unless it's gone now of course, I would have a look for it if I were you.

Martin

EDIT you would not be able to search this site as not a full member so try this,

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/1992-mercedes-hymermobil-s700.154999/#post-2438915

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back