Hymer controller thinks EHU connected when not (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Here’s an odd one

does anybody know what signal tells the Hymer controller that we are hooked up to mains or not

intermittently our controller has beeped to say we are hooked up as we start up to move. Although I did once drive off while connected not done that for ages and know for sure we are not

turning controller off and on again doesn’t sort it, even turning off it continues to bleep with alarm 🤔

usually it goes off after a few minutes, but last time out after 10 miles and 15 mins I had to stop and turn off the whole control system to stop it

I did think it might be a D+ relay issue, but the fridge swaps over to battery and the E&P works so not that

only other thought is, our solar couldn’t be run through the controller, it seems to be worse when sunny and I wondered if a high battery voltage might cause it

anybody else had the same 🤔

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Congrats on your 1st fault of the year David, pretty good for you over 4 months without a fault. :rofl:

Not much help because you have a Reich distribution unit but I suspect its similar. On the EBL's the mains connected light on the panel comes on when mains is connected to the distribution/charger unit. So I suspect the fault is likely to be in the Reich box.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Thanks Lenny

Congrats on your 1st fault of the year David, pretty good for you over 4 months without a fault. :rofl:

I don’t publish everything these days for fear of ridicule 😁

thanks for reminding me it’s a Reich unit, when we had solar added the fitters brought connections for a ‘standard’ Hymer 🤔🤣

just turned the MH round ready for off at lunchtime, had same issue, but it stopped itself after a couple of minutes 🤔

got to love an intermittent fault , at least we can still use it 👍

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
We have a similar problem, the mains indicator led does not illuminate on our Shaudt control panel. All other functions are working on the panel and we do have 240v electricity in the motorhome. I believe it to be a fault with the EBL and consequently will not be able to charge batteries while on hook up.

Pete

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
We have a similar problem, the mains indicator led does not illuminate on our Shaudt control panel. All other functions are working on the panel and we do have 240v electricity in the motorhome. I believe it to be a fault with the EBL and consequently will not be able to charge batteries while on hook up.

Pete
Just because the light is not coming on doesn't mean the chargers not working.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Hi David
I seem to remember having a very similar conversation with you some years ago about this,
One quick thing you can try disconnect the solar input before start up, this will stop your unit from sensing a higher voltage ie from solar

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
Just because the light is not coming on doesn't mean the chargers not working.

No but with mains on and no LED apparently is a common indicator that the battery charger has failed, which means removing the EBL to be sent away for testing and repair and that's a right pain in the a*se.

Pete

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hi David
I seem to remember having a very similar conversation with you some years ago about this

you are right Steve, I recall a conversation at Misterton I think about running a wire and connecting in a relay 😳

I was flattered that you thought I could, but the idea of doing anything electrical, other than change a bulb fills me with fear 🤔👍

I will though look to see if the solar can be disconnected easily and give that a go , it might at least rule that out as possible cause 👍

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Your solar may have a fuse just before the regulator if so just remove it then try starting, when you said it happens more when the sun is strong points in that direction.
The relay would be a normally closed with a trigger from the ignition that would mean the solar is disconnected when the ignition is turned on👍

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
No but with mains on and no LED apparently is a common indicator that the battery charger has failed, which means removing the EBL to be sent away for testing and repair and that's a right pain in the a*se.
On a Schaudt Electroblock EBL the mains indicator signal comes from the inbuilt charger. If the charger fails, there is no mains indicator. You can use any suitable charger connected to the Auxiliary Charger input (2-way) (labelled Zusatz Ladegerat), and you have to insert the fuse in the Zusats Ladegerat fuse slot. Unfortunately the mains indicator still doesn't work, you have to live with that.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I think my original theory about high battery voltage via solar is still the key

but just found a get round which has worked three times in a row, so there is hope 👍

unplug, check display , still shows connected 🤔 Hab battery shows nearly 14V cab just over 13V

switch on everything 12V , hab battery drops to 13V hooked up symbol shows crossed through for unhooked 👍

start up no alarm 👍

I can though confirm door open and step out do still work :whistle2: :doh:

hoping the same will work if we get similar alert just off solar input when we haven’t even used hook up, I will monitor the display to see if it thinks we are hooked up when we aren’t while on site 👍

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
I think my original theory about high battery voltage via solar is still the key
I think your right David, you could check the groupings on the control panel and turn them all off and on, won’t make any difference I would think but it’ll give you something to do! ;) As an aside, would the inverter being on or off or the condition of the inverter circuit make any difference. The only other thing I can think of is if the 240v feed socket is damaged in some way!:unsure:

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hi David,

The guys at Apuljack Engineering

http://www.apuljackengineering.co.uk/

do work on Reich controllers may be worth asking them what the trigger is for the mains alarm.

Anthony

pretty sure it is just high battery volts

unhooked today on site, hab batt showed 13.9V after disconnected but showed as Connected , turned on lots of 12V lighting plus the inverter, when volts dropped to 13.6 V hooked up symbol changed to disconnected

I am now worried the solar panels are allowing too much voltage to the batteries, in full sun we regularly get 14.3V on controller display for hab batteries

at least I now have a get round for the annoying still hooked up alarm though 👍

Will do some investigation at the solar controller to see what readings I get there 👍

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I am now worried the solar panels are allowing too much voltage to the batteries, in full sun we regularly get 14.3V on controller display for hab batteries
Voltage should rise to 14.2-14.4v then depending on the type of regulator, a single stage regulator like the Shaudt LR1218 will stay at 14.2v, a two stage charger after reaching 14.2 will drop to 13.8, a multi-stage will stay at 14.2v for a few hours before dropping to 13.8.

Mechantech

Free Member
Sep 26, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
Since 1990
O

unhooked today on site, hab batt showed 13.9V after disconnected but showed as Connected , turned on lots of 12V lighting plus the inverter, when volts dropped to 13.6 V hooked up symbol changed to disconnected

Will do some investigation at the solar controller to see what readings I get there 👍

David your a star, we’ve had this problem for a few months now and tried everything.
Just tried your method and it’s worked a treat on our Hymer S830, the message 240v disconnected appeared at 13.8v after turning all the lights on.
Cheers Andy n Shaz

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back