Hymer can I just put a lithium in for a leisure battery (1 Viewer)

Monty don

Free Member
Oct 15, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Since 2000
I have a 2020 Hymer B690 with one agm 95 amp hour leisure battery

Im thinking about swapping out that for a new 110 lithium

So if I do that can I just leave the factory charging system as is?

Will it pump out enough amps to charge the lithium?

Thanks
Graham

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
I just changed my 2 AGM out for a 200A lithium and all seems OK so far, will test it properly in a couple of weeks but solar has charged it up each day, tested on EHU and running engine.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
They are expensive things to break.

The charger on Gel setting will be okay but the solar and the alternator charging need looking at.

If they already have lithium profiles then yes, fill your boots. If not, it needs a bit more thought.

It can for instance, knacker the alternator without a B2B charger fitted as a lithium battery will take the max that can be produced by the alternator and cause it to overheat.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You van should have a B2B, need to check it has a Lithium setting, same if you have solar.
The EBL will work but it's not ideal, if you use mains charging a lot better to fit a suitable mains charger.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Do vanbitz make Oaktree batteries?
I thought that:

a) Oaktree are a Motorhome dealer not a battery manufacturer
b) Dropping a lithium in to an existing set up can be risky unless people doing so have a lot of knowledge which is why it is always talking to an expert. In this case Vanbitz

There are a lot of potential issues around the amount of charge a lithium battery will take, smart alternators, charger capacity etc

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
I thought that:

a) Oaktree are a Motorhome dealer not a battery manufacturer
b) Dropping a lithium in to an existing set up can be risky unless people doing so have a lot of knowledge which is why it is always talking to an expert. In this case Vanbitz

There are a lot of potential issues around the amount of charge a lithium battery will take, smart alternators, charger capacity etc
I think he meant eco tree not oak tree probably spell check 😀

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Do vanbitz make Oaktree batteries?
Do Oaktree make motorhomes ?

I'd suggest getting it checked by a reputable auto electrical company, such as Van bitz, others are available.

We all know of stories of people replacing traditional batteries with Lithium and not making any changes to the input/output and then shortening the life of the lithium battery to be the same as a traditional battery, which can be an expensive mistake

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012

I'd suggest getting it checked by a reputable auto electrical company, such as Van bitz, others are available.

We all know of stories of people replacing traditional batteries with Lithium and not making any changes to the input/output and then shortening the life of the lithium battery to be the same as a traditional battery, which can be an expensive mistake
Actually I don't think I have read anything about that especially ones that are "drop in replacements" do you have any links please as I would like to read?

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016

Lots of people on here dropped in lithium without changing anything other than charging profile of SP & charger can you point to examples please?

We bought a KS energy battery and they have said no need to change anything and give a 10 year guarantee so if anything does shorten the life so long as they are still in business we can claim but hoping all OK.

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
If it's a 2020 van, it will almost certainly have a smart alternator. If so you will need a B2B with a lithium setting.

Jun 24, 2019
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer 504i A Class
Exp
Since 2016 & 20+ shed dragger
I've just booked in with Vanbitz for solar and lithium and I have to say that they are super knowledgeable and happy to answer all my questions (dumb ones as well!). Cost wise it will be a lot more than just dropping in a lithium and changing the setting on the standard charger but knowing that I will not mess with the life of the lithium battery are break the super expensive alternator are worth it for me. Plus as we go away for extended periods abroad, the thought of having to get it fixed there or having to come back early, justifies paying for B2B and all the correctly sizes wiring.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Lots of people on here dropped in lithium without changing anything other than charging profile of SP & charger can you point to examples please?

We bought a KS energy battery and they have said no need to change anything and give a 10 year guarantee so if anything does shorten the life so long as they are still in business we can claim but hoping all OK.

I think you have answered your own question!

"..... changing anything other than charging profile of SP & charger"
which by definition is not simply a drop in swap.

Also see posts #4 #6 #9 #15 #16
All of which are saying you need to ensure the profile is set up for lithium

My 2018 van came with a conventional gel battery.
I was warned by both the dealer and Van Bitz that if I wanted to upgrade to Lithium then it's not a straight 'like for like' swap.
Once the price of Lithium comes down, I'll be upgrading, as from what I hear a lithium battery will last 20+ years, so it will be a case of you keep it when you sell the van, a bit like the car radio's of yesteryear.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
But what is the cost to “upgrade” to lith? Not including the batteries, and how much will it reduce their life if just dropped in? The people fitting them will tell you you need all the bells and whistles as that’s what they want to sell you.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
But what is the cost to “upgrade” to lith? Not including the batteries, and how much will it reduce their life if just dropped in? The people fitting them will tell you you need all the bells and whistles as that’s what they want to sell you.
As I and others said above KS Energy are selling them as drop in with no additional gear and will fit them as well so nothing extra. ECO Tree also state the same and Roadpro now selling one that will just drop in (I am sure others available) so who is right?

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
As I and others said above KS Energy are selling them as drop in with no additional gear and will fit them as well so nothing extra. ECO Tree also state the same and Roadpro now selling one that will just drop in (I am sure others available) so who is right?
Agree. 👍🏻👍🏻

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Oak Tree are principally motorhome dealers but they do supply and fit American made Eco Tree Lithium batteries. I recently had a comprehensive quote from VanBitz for a lithium set up which came out at £4k plus. The quote from Oak Tree using their Eco Tree batteries and less other equipment was £2k. In the end I will probably simply replace my current gels with gels again. The first set has so far lasted nearly seven years as we are careful with them. I'm told (instructed) that the £4k will go towards a new kitchen ;) and a quiet life.

Oct 14, 2018
Nantwich, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G781C Emotion
Exp
Caravanning over 30 years, Motorhoming 16 months
I have a 2020 Hymer B690 with one agm 95 amp hour leisure battery

Im thinking about swapping out that for a new 110 lithium

So if I do that can I just leave the factory charging system as is?

Will it pump out enough amps to charge the lithium?

Thanks
Graham
The mains charger and the solar regulator MUST have a lithium profile which MUST be selected. It will ruin the battery if not and you risk a catestrophic fire. Most lithium batteries have an electronic circuit to protect them and balance the cells, but whilst they will accept a high charging current, they will not accept a high charging voltage.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
The mains charger and the solar regulator MUST have a lithium profile which MUST be selected. It will ruin the battery if not and you risk a catestrophic fire. Most lithium batteries have an electronic circuit to protect them and balance the cells, but whilst they will accept a high charging current, they will not accept a high charging voltage.
That's not what the battery manufacturers say! They have a BMS which will protect them from overcharge etc.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
I have put my van on EHU today and monitoring battery, got up to 14.4 v then on standby so all seems to be working as planned.
Screenshot_20211015-142946_KS Energy 20.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back