Hymer B644 engine noise and driving experience? (1 Viewer)

Eddiex

Free Member
Sep 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Hi

I'm new to this forum but am slowly gaining some insight into what kind of MH I would like.

I only have a budget of about £20,000 but it seems that I might be able to afford a B644 style van.

One of my concerns relates to engine noise and in particular how much noise intrudes into the cab area whilst driving. As I understand the only thing between the driver and the top of the engine is the wooden dashboard on these models?

I am coming from a 1971 VW T2 camper van so I am used poor baking, handling, buffeting, slow acceleration, going backwards on steep hills and very little overtaking! I would like, however, to improve my driving experience and it would be nice to 'bob along' at 60 mph on faster roads and maybe arrive at my destination without being momentarily deaf! Is 60mph a reasonable expectation?

Once allowed, I do plan to hire a couple of MH's to try them out, but I guess once I start viewing vans it's going to be difficult to assess how they drive in the real world as I can't reasonably take the van away for anything more than a short drive?

Can anyone give me an insight into how they drive - also for that matter, any other models from other manufacturers that may enable me to travel long distance and arrive relatively fresh from the experience? Like most on here I dream of packing up and traveling 'south' and not only enjoy the destination but be able to have a more 'modern driving experience' on the way there!

Many thanks

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
I sold my previous van, a 2006 B584 last year after having owned it for about six years, the previous van was also a 584 about 15 years old.
My present van is also an 'A' class although a Pilote, more noise from each unit compared to my car but I accept that as being part of the journey. Being slightly deaf my partner has to raise her voice a little at times so that I can hear her, she understands being also slightly deaf herself.
Wether a superduper Gin Palace van has any significant noise reduction is something I will never know but I am happy to have what I have.
I hope this non techy reply is of some use to you, enjoy the search as it is part of the FUN. (y)
Edit, my first and only new van was an Autotrail Apache, I can't remember the noise levels but I can remember the FUN.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I have a 2003 B544 A class with the 2.8 jtd so I'd guess similar to what your looking at ?
It is a good dependable engine with not a lot to go wrong, no fancy bolt on emission reducing gizmos that seem to give so much trouble on later engines.
The cab is not especially noisey but it does bang rather over pothole or poor road surfaces.
It'll cruise all day long at 60-65mph without any feeling of labouring.
At first I thought my turbo might not be working as it does slow on inclines but I think that was just down to being used to a car. Select the right gear and lane 1 with the trucks on long inclines and there's no problem.
I had new front shocks, springs and legs fitted this year and that seems to improve the ride as well as lifting the front by 60mm. Saggy front end is a common feature of the A class.
You'll have no problem on long journeys, I've been down to Croatia twice in mine and it never missed a beat. Only drama was blowing a headlight dipped beam bulb !
Thoroughly recommend 👍🏻

Edit : check timing belt for replacement when looking. Need doing at every 50k miles or five years

OP
OP
E

Eddiex

Free Member
Sep 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Thanks for the replies! That's what I was hoping to hear - I do fancy an A class but the potential noise and 'labouring engine' stress was putting me off a bit so it's good to know.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Coach built ones can be noisy as well, in 2006 we bought a new Autosleeper on a Peugeot base and that was very noisy and you could see and hear the cab doors moving about. Fast forward a few years and the 2012 Peugeot Boxer based van is surprisingly quiet especially with the Ford Puma engine that it has. Don’t expect any van to be as quiet as a car though.

Deleted User
Thanks for the replies! That's what I was hoping to hear - I do fancy an A class but the potential noise and 'labouring engine' stress was putting me off a bit so it's good to know.
I bought a new 1972 T2 bay screen VW and found it fairly quiet being petrol and engine in the back. Biggest problem was cross winds and and any hill over 10%. Useless heater.
Spongy

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
How do A class compare to coachbuilt Vs PVC in terms of noise.

I have a transit which is noisy when idling, cold or working hard other than that it's quiet.

Cheers James

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
How do A class compare to coachbuilt Vs PVC in terms of noise.

I have a transit which is noisy when idling, cold or working hard other than that it's quiet.

Cheers James
Normally quieter, better insulation and no metal panels to drum.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Imo a class so much better with higher seating position for very good vision around and above most cars in traffic, larger available cab space and certainly a quiet ride for size of vehicle.

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
Our first Hymer a 1996 Mercedes sprinter base was both sluggish and noisy. I took the carpets out and stuck good quality insulation material to the cab floor and inner bulkhead it made a big difference to the noise levels. Now we have a 2003 Mercedes base and it is so much quieter.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back