Hymer B640 Starline - Advice for beginners please (1 Viewer)

Sweenjb

Free Member
Mar 6, 2018
Funster No
Please can anyone offer any advice. We are new to this and are looking for a Hymer. We were wanting a 544 and to pay approximately £20k but have now seen a 2001 B640 Starline Mercedes, automatic and low mileage 57k. Does this seem a reasonable price or does it seem a little on the cheap side. It is from a dealer with full service history. Most others I have seen are in the region of £25k.

Don’t want to pay over the odds but also a little wary when it seems a low price.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thankyou

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi and welcome to Fun cant help you with that van, i can give you some advice though and that would be pay the £15 to join as it could save you thousands

Upvote 0

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
We sold our 1999 B640 (RHD, Manual, 6 seat belts, underslung refillable gas tank, no satellite or solar) for £17.5k. It was in exceptional condition, and about the same mileage. We'd had ours for almost ten years and loved it - still miss some aspects of it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Welcome firstly and hello.
Some things to check but by no means exclusive, there is a buying guide on here to look at.
Personally I wouldn't touch it if it is the sprint shift version auto due reliability problems and potential big repair bills. If its the full auto then much better in my opinion. I avoided sprint shift like the plague when I was looking although appreciate some people like it. Mercedes soon stopped making them with the sprint shift. Manual is OK.
Is it a 2.7 engine or 2.2?
Service history is good and mileage good at 51000, check MOT history on government website.
Which dealer is it? There are some knowledgeable folk on here who will know them. Check in review section for members experiences.
Is 3500,3800 or 4600kg, has it got twin rear wheels?
Check age of tyres, there is a date code on them, ie, 3408 would tell you they were made in the 34th week of 2008 so are coming up to 10 years old and need replacing. This date code will be within a small circle.
Check the shower tray carefully, the whole toilet floor/shower tray is a one piece plastic affair and is prone to cracking, its a big job replacing it although some people speed coat over it. A new GRP floor is less than £300 from GRP leisure(DerekJustice), but a big job to put in. Derek has got the mould for the 640 Hymer so he can have a new one to you in a few days.
Check the underfloor from the outside especially from the rear wheels backwards, Hymer used timber and they are very prone to rot. Another big job depending on the extent of the rot, small areas can be repaired easily. I have put my fingers straight through some floors they have been that bad.
Check bodywork carefully, look for corrosion on the skirts.
Check windscreen for cracks.
A good solid van but condition is everything.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
welcome animated smiley3.gif

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Sweenjb

Free Member
Mar 6, 2018
Funster No
Thanks for your replies and I will subscribe!! It seems a bit of a minefield but all advice helps.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Please can anyone offer any advice. We are new to this and are looking for a Hymer. We were wanting a 544 and to pay approximately £20k but have now seen a 2001 B640 Starline Mercedes, automatic and low mileage 57k. Does this seem a reasonable price or does it seem a little on the cheap side. It is from a dealer with full service history. Most others I have seen are in the region of £25k.

Don’t want to pay over the odds but also a little wary when it seems a low price.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thankyou

hi.. maybe I'm not reading it correctly .. what is the price of the 2001 B640 Starline Mercedes

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Sweenjb

Free Member
Mar 6, 2018
Funster No
Sorry for not being clear. The price is £19,500. 2001B640 Starline Mercedes. Automatic with £57k miles

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I have seen the one you mean I think?

Its a car dealer that is selling so that would be a big worry, they probably havn't a clue about motorhomes and won't know what requires repair/sorting out before sale etc.
Also warranty, would you be happy taking it back to them?
Only 1 photograph on the advert on ebay?

It could be ok but tread carefully and check all the things above I mentioned.

Have you actually seen it in person yet?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Sweenjb

Free Member
Mar 6, 2018
Funster No
Yes you’re right that’s the one. I agree with what you are thinking but maybe that is also reflected in the price? No we haven’t seen it. A fairly long journey would be required so was waiting for more pictures to appear on the site first.

It is all new to us so we are treading carefully. Campbell’s caravans near to us are getting a 2003 Hymer B544 in at the weekend so will go and see that one but the price is £23999 which is a little more than our budget. Thanks very much for your help and advice. Appreciated.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back