Hymer B544sl Advice (1 Viewer)

IandJ

Free Member
Oct 6, 2017
Funster No
After much searching we have decided that the Hymer B544sl 2007 - 2010 model is the motorhome for us.
Is their anything specific that we should look out for in viewing / test driving this particular model.
I also see that it is available on the light or maxi chassis, apart from the higher weight limit & 16" wheels, does the maxi benefit from anything else compared to the light.
Thank you all for any help.
Ian

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I would go for one on the Maxi chassis you can never have enough payload and the 16" wheels well worth it for the extra ground clearance, only downside is a much harsher ride. With those years they were still using a wooden floor, there have been a few instances of rotting floor behind the rear wheels more so in much older models, particularly if there are no rear mudflaps generally not serious and easy to fix.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
It wouldn't affect our decision to buy, be it light or heavy chassis. Ours (2014) is on a light chassis with 15inch wheels. We are having air assist and wider tyres fitted to the rear and this will give us 2240kg (from 2000kg) rear axle and 2000kg front axle, (we already have Goldscmitt springs, Standard is 1850kg)
When we are loaded and ready to go we are at 1970 kg rear and 1650 kg front, with twin batteries, spare wheel, awning, 25% water, the two of us and the dog and two 11kg gas tanks.
Our overall weight will be limited to 3850kg, though SVTech say 3950kg may be possible. I think this more than enough for a B544.
Our current plating is 3700kg

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
We looked at a couple, 2006/7 models. But we decided as we were buying to keep long term we would go as new as we could afford, so ended up with 62 plate B544. No choice of SL version (was it available at all ??) and at the time only two (11 and 62 plate) around for choice.

We love ours and the space inside is very useable even with George (the pointer) in there. The only drawback is the surfboard table, I've mad a nice table from Beech kitchen 38mm worktop, and now seem to have more room to lounge about although the tables fixed.

We got 4250kg with Goldshmidt springs, on Maxi chassis with 16" wheels. Ride is a bit harsh on rough roads but on smoother roads it floats along lovely. I've no idea about payload as we haven't managed to have it weighed yet.

Prices have dropped a bit since we bought ours, so you may be able to pick up a bargain, have you seen Bundesvans B544SL ? we bought ours from them,remember though, the sale will be as a private sale, so sold as seen.

OP
OP
I

IandJ

Free Member
Oct 6, 2017
Funster No
Thank you all for your helpful advice. As I look at more Motorhomes it is becoming increasingly clear that it's all about condition. The price advertised for them does not seem to reflect this, mileage is no guide as some have obviously been used intensively even though they have very low mileage. Surprising how many have had brake problems shown up on MOT history likely through lack of use, but have well worn interiors.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Thank you all for your helpful advice. As I look at more Motorhomes it is becoming increasingly clear that it's all about condition. The price advertised for them does not seem to reflect this, mileage is no guide as some have obviously been used intensively even though they have very low mileage. Surprising how many have had brake problems shown up on MOT history likely through lack of use, but have well worn interiors.
Pleased to see you are not getting blinded by low mileage as some do, often more problematical than high mileage vans.

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
I suspect most owners, like us, unscrew the massive table and replace it with a smaller one. The original is great if you have 10 people round for drinks perhaps but our smaller one provides room to get dressed at each end of the table now, rather than blocking the corridor.

Having said that I still haven't seen a better internal layout, for 2 people, that the B544.

We have a 2008 SL with the 3.0L 6 speed engine. It's got as much torque as you ever need and, because it chugs along effortlessly at 2,000rpm on the motorway, it seems as economical as smaller engined motorhomes.

Note. Uprating to >3500Kg gets you cheaper (yes cheaper) VED as you become a HGV.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back