Free Member
Aug 28, 2011
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hello everyone. Not sure whether this is the right place to start this thread but here goes: We've been looking at vans for the past couple of months and have finally settled on the fact that we fancy a Hymer. Rejected the Hymer 46 after having a couple of looks and decided we want something a bit more roomy inside. We have found a Hymer B544 2.5 peugot diesel 1991 H reg 106000 miles on the clock. It's quite a journey from where we live to view it so we've asked for lots of pics and asked lots of questions. We've had so many bad experiences of travelling miles for vans in 'fantastic condition' only to find a heap of rubbish at the other end! This van looks very tidy from the pics and the seller has been very helpful. We are new to this and just wonder if anyone can give some advice about what to look out for. we've been told to look out for damp and cracks in seals etc. Should we be concerned about the mileage. Eventually after trying out here we would like to go to France & Spain. Another concern is spares, whether there might be a problem finding spares for a 20 year old van. Or are we being too ambitious thinking of taking an old van like that on a long trip? Would be v grateful for any help, advice or tips. Thanks

Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.
Hilary and I have run a 1992 Hymer 694 (584 with U shaped rear lounge 'tagged' on - 3 axles, 6 wheels), same engine and gearbox as you are thinking about, since 2001. We have done 60K kilometres and the vehicle has now done 145K. Other than brake parts, a replacement cam belt last year, battery and exhaust tail pipe it has run like sewing machine, returned 24 MPG and been a joy to own. New parts are available from Hymer in Preston but are not cheap, FIAT parts from usual sources. If it is dry and the layout that suits you I think Hymer are one of the best MHs around. When I mention layout - this is very important! You only have to look in the dealers at the MHs for sale that are only a year old to realise that many people buy the wrong one - very expensive mistake::bigsmile:.

Good luck,

Phil

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
The older Hymers are some of the best around and if you get a good one I am sure you will have many miles of happy traveling ahead of you. good luck with it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Olliekuma

Free Member
Jul 16, 2011
Poole, Dorset
Funster No
MH
Motorhome A Class
Exp
Since1990
Hymer B544 Oldie

I have recently bought a 1991 B544 with 64000 on the clock. If you look carefully you can see if somebody who doesn't know what they are doing has been messing about. Don't be put off by a few blemishes these can soon be put right. The Hymer is very forgiving and it is a getatable vehicle.
A pair of overalls and a torch are handy and have a list of pertinent questions to ask the owner. The engines are excellent and so are the gearboxes. My only comment I would make is that the handbrake goes down along way and it is a stretch to put it on. There is a solution available that enables the driver to reach the handbrake easily. This is available on E Bay but don't buy the cheap plastic one, there is one where the handle hinges away. Worth buying.
A very comfortable vehicle and a bed that is second to none. I have replaced all of the loo seals in mine as they were old and past their sell by date, an easy job.
I hope you find what you are after. I was lucky and found one a few miles away in Swanage.
Good Luck
Tony

OP
OP
D

Demelza

Free Member
Aug 28, 2011
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
I have recently bought a 1991 B544 with 64000 on the clock. If you look carefully you can see if somebody who doesn't know what they are doing has been messing about. Don't be put off by a few blemishes these can soon be put right. The Hymer is very forgiving and it is a getatable vehicle.
A pair of overalls and a torch are handy and have a list of pertinent questions to ask the owner. The engines are excellent and so are the gearboxes. My only comment I would make is that the handbrake goes down along way and it is a stretch to put it on. There is a solution available that enables the driver to reach the handbrake easily. This is available on E Bay but don't buy the cheap plastic one, there is one where the handle hinges away. Worth buying.
A very comfortable vehicle and a bed that is second to none. I have replaced all of the loo seals in mine as they were old and past their sell by date, an easy job.
I hope you find what you are after. I was lucky and found one a few miles away in Swanage.
Good Luck
Tony

Thanks for your response. Lucky you for finding the Hymer that you wanted. We are still on the hunt. I noticed that you are in Poole. We have had contact in the last couple of days with a dealer in Ringwood Road Parkstone - B Miller & Son. We live in Cornwall but have a son in Bournemouth so we are thinking about going up to stay with him and have a look at a Burstner that Miller's have for sale. Just wondered if you know anything about this dealer. One reason for asking he said if we do the deal with him and pay a deposit then he'll do habitation check, which means that we can't see anything working until we pay a deposit. Bit hesitant to do that and as he hasn't replied to our last email asking if we could see everything working, he may have lost interest in us or, of course, he may have sold the van. For future reference though, just wondering if you know these dealers. Thanks

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back