Free Member
Apr 11, 2013
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
5 years
l seem to have an intermittent problem with the wipers on my 2012 Hymer B544. When using the wipers ( Makes no difference which speed setting or occasional setting they are in), they will suddenly stop mid screen and will not move no matter what I do to the settings on the Wiper operating stalk. The only way to overcome the situation is to stop. Turn the engine off. Park the wipers in the 'Off' position according to the wiper stalk. Then upon restarting the engine, the wipers park themselves. If I then turn the wipers on they seem to work fine for ages days even and then suddenly, usually when it's absolutely pi...ng down, will suddenly stop in the vertical position. I contacted Travelworld and one of their technicians said he believes it to be the wiper motor that needs replacing. After just 3 yrs occasional use ...really? Fitted cost will be £350! Before I get involved in that sort of expense I thought I'd seek advice on here to see if anyone else has had a similar problem.
Best wishes to all....

road,

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Try the supply fuse for the wipers. Is it damaged or dirty? Sounds like it might be a resistance problem, as the weight of water on the screen adds to the load. Then you re-start the engine, the added whumph from the alternator sets them going again.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Talk to Premier they have a good reputation for getting out of warrenty replacements...worth a go

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
I'd also be tempted to check any connections as with the fuse suggestion, a pray with contact cleaner and bit of the wonder WD40, as said a bit of crud or oxidation on contacts causes poor contact and raises resistance. Worth a check before getting the wallet out.
If you can get hold of a schematic wiring diagram it will provide locations of block connectors etc. May be in handbook or available on web.
May also be worth checking the fixtures of the wiper arms and mechanism for tightness, a loose spigot nut or the like could cause intermittent action possibly. I would certainly check all these things out as just as you say, you wouldn't expect the motor to fail after just 3 years, but, any things possible I suppose. Hope you manage to sort it.

Last edited:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Usually, the 'park' contacts tend to wear out after many years of use, so that they don't 'self park', but not seen that since the age of the Morris Marina! It really does sound like an intermittent supply for some reason, and not the motor itself.

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
I had the same problem with our 2012 Hymer, when it was only 18 months old, I called Fiat camper assist, the control box was then blown by in idiot from a well known motoring organisation, the control box is a Hymer part added to the Fiat Loom so, not covered by the Fiat warranty. I ordered a new control box from Hymer and then decided to investigate the fault myself. To check if the cure for your fault is the same as mine, connect a jump lead from the chassis to the wiper motor. The fault being a bad earth somewhere in the steering column I believe. The cure is to run a new earth lead from the spare earth stud on the front subframe to the wiper motor. As a bonus, this also improved the cruise control which was occasionally reluctant to engage. If this doesn't cure the fault, despite advice not to, I found stripping cleaning and re assembling the wiper motor very simple.

Regards

Bob

OP
OP
Valkman

Valkman

Free Member
Apr 11, 2013
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
5 years
Thanks to everyone for the advice. I will definitely be trying them out. I'm clearly no expert but replacement of the wiper motor will certainly be a last resort rather than first response. I tried to get a wiring diagram out of Hymer. They basically said ..No. We don't want you interfering with our wiring. Take it to one of our dealers. ....

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
The wiring is mostly fiat, the fiat loom is connected to a Hymer control box upper left hand side of the engine bay, the wiring from here goes across the top direct to the wiper motor. Your symptoms are exactly the same as mine where so, I would start by adding an earth.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

yes they did in the x250 ..

but the OP is about a Hymer B544 .. an A class.. no water ingress

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The fault with the same symptoms that I linked to is nothing to do with water ingress. The fact that Dave's van is X250 based is irrelevant as his van is A class. X250 does not mean it is automatically a coach built

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Mine has gone wonky too on a new B544. First of all the intermittent bits but now stopped completely, fuse ok etc.
Have contacted dealer who have been in touch with Hymer who say it needs an uprated motor .
What a pain , cant use moho without wipers, wonder how long the wait :crying:

OP
OP
Valkman

Valkman

Free Member
Apr 11, 2013
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
5 years
Larry,
I took mine to an auto electrician who said there was an inherent weakness in the way that the internal earth on the wiper motor is designed. He rewired the earth and added an external earth to the motor as well and it has worked perfectly since. (y)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Larry,
I took mine to an auto electrician who said there was an inherent weakness in the way that the internal earth on the wiper motor is designed. He rewired the earth and added an external earth to the motor as well and it has worked perfectly since. (y)

Its a fault that Hymer are aware of and are sending an uprated motor . Bit of a pain as it looks like this problem has existed for some time and should have been resolved by now.
Glad yours is sorted (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back