Hymer B544 wiper motor problem (1 Viewer)

JamesHymer

Free Member
Apr 24, 2016
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
New
Hello,

First time post - trying to fix the wipers on a friend's 1993 Hymer B544. The motor doesn't work at all so I have removed it and the associated relays (see photo). I've tried to get the motor running on the bench to test it but no luck (I've read another posting about water ingress - could the winding be all rusted up?).

Can anyone confirm how I should be powering the motor (is direct ok?). Nothing happens whatever pins I put power to but there's a spark when I put power across the red and green wires.

The best replacement I've found is here () which I think should be suitable for the Fiat Ducato 2.5 Diesel the Hymer is based upon. My problem is that this item appears to have three wires going into it, and the original has five, so it's not clear how to wire it.

Hope this all makes sense, grateful for any advice.

James

Attachments

• 20160424_175942.jpg
    20160424_175942.jpg
    423.5 KB · Views: 64
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Hymer replace the Fiat motor with a heavier one to drive the three wipers. I'm not familiar with the internal circuitry but it will incorporate a parking contact. Why not simply dismantle the unit (photograph the steps if you're not confident) and find the fault? I would be very surprised if you couldn't fix it.

OP
OP
J

JamesHymer

Free Member
Apr 24, 2016
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
New
I have dismantled it to check the wiring is still connected to the tabs inside. Everything looks wired ok but I can't get it to work. Can you say more about the parking contact - could that be stuck in a way that stops the motor from working?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The parking contact(s) may in fact be a flat slip-ring and brushes. It is possible for the parking circuitry to prevent the motor from running. The best test is to isolate the two motor wires from the parking circuitry then simply power the motor. Are the motor brushes OK? Is the motor free to rotate? By the way - be careful. The motor is surprisingly powerful and fingers trapped by the rotating arm will hurt. A lot :).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back