Hymer b544 Ducato 2.8jtd ECU problems due to damp/wet (1 Viewer)

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
As I posted on an earlier thread, after leaving our service dealers in Newark I had the red engine management light flashing and the throttle all over the place with the biggest problem of high revs which initially caught me out approaching a round-a-bout :eek:.

Thinking it had to be an issue with the service, I managed to get back to the dealer who run a diagnosis which appeared to show a faulty throttle sender unit. Initially they ordered one in £182 plus VAT but then found one in their own stores. On fitting the problem remained so they carried on looking.

It turned out to be corrosion and damp on the ECU terminals. It has now been cleaned up, white greased and all is as it should be.

Concerned at how this could have happened the mechanic that sorted it showed me under the hood at the ECU/wiring etc. There is no sign of any water getting in from running down the body or through a gap anywhere. The only conclusion is that fine spray from a power wash or the kind you get when following another vehicle on a wet road could make it's way in. Well I don't use a power wash so I don't think it's that one! I may look at ways of trying to further enclose it, but I thought I would just pass on the events so others will be aware. You can clearly see the dirty/corroded terminals on the photo they took.

Although this is on a Fiat/Hymer I would think it could occur on just about any vehicle.

File.jpg

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
thanks for the info.. may prove useful

roughly, where is this plug located..?

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun