Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Hi all, away just now in Scotland and feeling some vibration first noticed by hob rattling more than normal. Tyres are 4 years old but seem ok, wheel nuts secure and pressure correct. Can feel roughness in ride though. Does this sound like wheel balance or tyres shot?
Cheers Dave

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
You might have lost a balancing weight off a wheel. It's happened to me (on a car)It usually shows as long you don't wash the wheels by having a cleaner patch where the weight used to be.

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
If it is worse at some speeds than others it is most likely wheel balance, however as it is a Fiat base it could also be wheel bearings, listen to the sound and see if it changes as you take bends.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi Dave
What are the the tyres, premium brand or not? I used to buy no brand tyres for my cars but had trouble with vibration, noise and uneven wearing, even thinking the bearings had gone only to find that a new pair of tyres sorted it, also have your shocks checked out(y)

Feb 1, 2011
Redcar
Funster No
MH
Hymer C. Class
Exp
26 yrs
David and Giny,
Very strange we have a 544 2002 with recent same probs. Took it for its MOT, failed on leak to the
LH Leg and play on the front wheel bearings. Had those replaced, drive's like a dream, so positive. I think I had become used to the faults and not really noticed the slow decline. Our service is done each year by a very good friend who is a top engineer. As he said a lot can happen to a Van in a year. Inspection and correction is his motto. Best Regards Mac

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Thanks to all for the replies and sorry that I did not post a reply but getting on line in the Highlands proved too difficult!

The problem worsened and it turned out to be delamination of the rear tyres! They were a branded tyre about 4 years old so quite why it happened I don't know. Something to watch out for (or listen out for) in the future. As commented by Mac, you don't really notice it coming on gradually but once replaced it shows some difference!

Thanks again, Dave

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: JJ
Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thanks to all for the replies and sorry that I did not post a reply but getting on line in the Highlands proved too difficult!

The problem worsened and it turned out to be delamination of the rear tyres! They were a branded tyre about 4 years old so quite why it happened I don't know.

First suspect has to be under-inflation or van overloading (for the recommended pressure).

If you haven't weighed your van you really should and have a look at this to calculate your "correct" pressures or contact the manufacturer for advice.

Tim

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Thanks Tim, I weighed laden some time ago and it was on the limit. To be honest whilst in Scotland it would have been over because we were wild camping mostly and running with water on board. Dave

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back