Free Member
Apr 23, 2014
Brighton
Funster No
MH
A class motorhome
Exp
New
Have had real trouble with my Hymer citreon 1991. After having the engine rebuilt as it had seized, picked it up from the garage, all seemed fine, then went away for weekend, all fine, then drive 120 miles today, all fine, got home, tried to move it to a different parking space and the starting motor went.
Is this just really really bad luck or is my garage messing me about.
Plus, there is a small oil leak underneath :( Help.
Has anyone else had similar trouble and should I cut my losses with this particular vehicle? Once unreliable, always unreliable??

Last edited:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Starter motor should not be a big deal, might even be a looseconnection, as to oil leak get onto garage about that, might need some bolts tightening up and they could check the starter motor at same time

Might not be their fault but they would have taken it all apart on rebuild

Peter

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Aye Mya

Free Member
Apr 23, 2014
Brighton
Funster No
MH
A class motorhome
Exp
New
Starter motor should not be a big deal, might even be a looseconnection, as to oil leak get onto garage about that, might need some bolts tightening up and they could check the starter motor at same time

Might not be their fault but they would have taken it all apart on rebuild

Peter

You probably know them, Berwick Service Station.
Can you recommend anything to help me? Supposed to be renting this van out to people but know I've lost confidence. Are all old vans like this?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

dougw

Free Member
Jul 9, 2014
Funster No
MH
Hymer 635
Exp
1 Month
You probably know them, Berwick Service Station.
Can you recommend anything to help me? Supposed to be renting this van out to people but know I've lost confidence. Are all old vans like this?

New to motorhomes but have a fair amount of mechanical experience ( Ive rebuilt a fair few engines, re-chassied old cars , own a few twenty odd year old motorbikes and used do all my own servicing and repairs, now have to get major jobs done on the 1995 Hymer by a local mechanic as I haven't got the time or space to work on it) and unfortunately would not be surprised to have "problems" with any 23 year old motor vehicle, regardless of how it is serviced or treated. All you can do is find someone who is capable and conscientious to service and repair your van ( Sorry can`t help there not local too you).

Hopefully engine should be good for many miles now, starter motors can fail at any time and age, though admittedly modern cars are much more reliable in this respect.
Flipside to maintenance costs on old vehicles is very little depreciation if looked after.

Upvote 0

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Have had real trouble with my Hymer citreon 1991. After having the engine rebuilt as it had seized, picked it up from the garage, all seemed fine, then went away for weekend, all fine, then drive 120 miles today, all fine, got home, tried to move it to a different parking space and the starting motor went.
Has anyone else had similar trouble and should I cut my losses with this particular vehicle? Once unreliable, always unreliable??

Yes, my starter didn't work properly after a replacement engine. Ended up having to design some shims and get them made up on a laser machine to get the alignment right. It was clearly wrong before, though, as they'd just added an additional engine battery so that there would be enough amps to push the misaligned starter round. It was worse after the swap, though.

You'll get there in the end. Often 10 years of neglect takes a bit of TLC to restore the vehicle to normal.

Upvote 0

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.

Did it seize on you originally, or was it seized when you got it? reason I ask, if it had seized because of no use after a number of years, then yes, you can expect associated parts to follow the way of the engine.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back