Hymer b534 leisure battery charging (1 Viewer)

Darren

LIFE MEMBER
May 27, 2014
Canterbury Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Izola
Exp
I recently purchased a b534 , this is my first motorhome. I have noticed that the engine when running is not charging the two leisure batteries. When I plug in to hook up the batteries are charging fine. I have checked this out with a multimeter. How does the engine/alternator charge the leisure battery? I have two fuses next to the leisure battery and these are ok.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Usually via a split charge relay which is usually close to the engine battery.
When the engine is started the alternator current activates a relay and passes some current to the leisure battery.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
What year is your Hymer?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
With that vintage (1995) I think it will be equipped with a Schaudt Elektroblok (EBL). This controls charging both from mains and alternator and there will not be a conventional split-charge relay. There are two 50amp fuses protecting the batteries: one in the engine bay near the starter battery; the other near the leisure battery(ies) in the habitation area (or locker). Both these fuses are in the +ve lines going from the relevant battery to the EBL. Check that the one in the engine bay has not blown. If it has, take care when replacing that there is not an underlying fault that will cause a further fuse failure.

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Darren,

Peter Hambilton of Preston is the Hymer guy you need to speak to if you can't get help any other way.
His tel no is 01772 315078.

Hope this helps.

Norman.

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Hi Darren,
I've a 644 '89 reg so things might be different, I had same prob's when trying to run two leisure batteries + the one under the bonnet; Spoke with an auto electrician who tested alternator output, and we found it wasn't up to keeping three batteries in charge. cut leisure bat down to the one, and have had no probs since. :) (will be fitting solar panel very soon, so maybe's fit it back). do you have the battery charger fitted so you can charge when on mains hook up ?

OP
OP
Darren

Darren

LIFE MEMBER
May 27, 2014
Canterbury Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Izola
Exp
Hi Darren,
I've a 644 '89 reg so things might be different, I had same prob's when trying to run two leisure batteries + the one under the bonnet; Spoke with an auto electrician who tested alternator output, and we found it wasn't up to keeping three batteries in charge. cut leisure bat down to the one, and have had no probs since. :) (will be fitting solar panel very soon, so maybe's fit it back). do you have the battery charger fitted so you can charge when on mains hook up ?

The batteries will charge ok when on mains hook up.

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Sounds like alternator isn't beefy enough to charge all 3 batteries, although I'm no expert.
Might be worth getting alternator output checked

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back