Apr 11, 2010
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hymer C642 CL
Exp
June 2010
Hi Everyone

Is it just me or are the Hymer MH's 'B' class snapped up and very very popular? If so what is so special about them ? Am trying to keep an open mind when looking to buy an older model MH but quite like the Hymer 'B' class for the layout for us but nearly every one I have looked at on the internet is sold be it from a private sale or a dealer.
Also is it true that the double skin floor was only introduced in the 2001 models and above? Read an article today but don't know if its true.

Thanks in advance for any replies :Smile:
Shell

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
double floor

yes, it is correct double floor came in since 2001 I just acquired mine a month ago after almost 1year searching and is very impressed with the build quality of mine explains why they hold their value well compare with some other makes

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Yes, as mentioned, the double floor came in about 10 years ago. It is formed by an Alko chassis bolted to a Fiat Ducato front end. Earlier Fiat/Alko versions had single floors. Whilst the double floor is very good for insulation and provides useful storage space, don't dismiss Hymers with single floors. Firstly, the double floored versions appear to me to provide less ground clearance and this could be important to you. Secondly, it is wrong to assume that only the double-floored versions are properly winterised. Pretty much any Hymer B Class will withstand low temperatures.
Any Mercedes based Hymer will have a single floor as the Alko conversion is only fitted to front wheel drive Fiat chassis. The Mercs are rear wheel drive and this may matter to you: they tend to offer better traction on wet grass.
Ours is Merc-based and has a single floor, but the fresh water tank is inside and the waste water tank is outside, but insulated and heated by the blown air from the Truma heater. We have been away in sub-zero temperatures with no problem.

Philip

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bubble

Free Member
Sep 4, 2009
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper
Exp
Returning after break
Hi just read your last reply and now I am totally confused,sorry to highjack your thread but we have just agreed to purchase a 2005 hymer 655 starline merc, I thought this had a double skinned floor, you say that its not a problem,we need advice as we are newbies to motorhomes, but have been tugging for 17 years, we camp all year round and this is a big buy for us, so do you rate the hymer starline or do we need to be careful, thanks

johnnerontheroad

Free Member
Dec 11, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi just read your last reply and now I am totally confused,sorry to highjack your thread but we have just agreed to purchase a 2005 hymer 655 starline merc, I thought this had a double skinned floor, you say that its not a problem,we need advice as we are newbies to motorhomes, but have been tugging for 17 years, we camp all year round and this is a big buy for us, so do you rate the hymer starline or do we need to be careful, thanks

Have a look at this link in German but you should understand you need from page 54 onwards. It may help you to see how you new M/H is built.

Link Removed

Dave

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
Hi
We looked long & hard Before buying our B584 and love it to bits
Perfect size for us 2
Ours is a 2003 model and has the double floor, this gives loads of storeage space for all your kit
We went to loads of MH shows and whenever we saw a Hymer or other MH we liked the look of, we asked the owners 'What do you think of them and how long have you owned it ?'
We met some Hymer owners that had had them for 5,10 years or more both from new and 2nd hand
Remember, the layout that suites others may not suit you, think about what you are going to do with it and were you want to take it
Whatever Hymer you choose, double or single floor, you will get a quality built MH especialy in my opinion, some of the earlier models, which is why they are hard to find
Wishing you the best of luck
Happy Daze ::bigsmile:
Chrisboyo

bubble

Free Member
Sep 4, 2009
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper
Exp
Returning after break
Hi we have a hymer camp 55 1993 at the moment so we love love hymer quality, and want similar, we are seling only because we have be left some money and was told to use it to buy a motorhome to last several years. Our hymer is in excellent condition for its age so the new one needs to live up to quite alot. We have used the old one every weekend or just for days out since we got it and its given us a new meaning to camping. Going just for the day was not an option with the caravan. This choice is important for us so advice is important but highjacking this thread is not what i meant to do , sorry, but thanks for your replies.::bigsmile:

takeaflight

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
Stratford-upon-Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Hi bubble don't worry the Merc is rear wheel drive, hence no double floor it's only the Fiat based that as the double floor. We have a B700 Merc you will be as warm as toast and for me I prefer the rear wheel drive.

Roy

bubble

Free Member
Sep 4, 2009
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper
Exp
Returning after break
Thanks for that, getting worried as we are spending alot of money and want to make the right choice::bigsmile:

Madmike

Free Member
Apr 12, 2010
Pickering
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 yrs
For what its worth we have a Frankia on a Merc chassis and it has the double floor enableing the tanks both fresh and waste to be in between the two floors as well as shed loads of storage. Also plated to 5 ton so lots more payload than I can use.
Regards,
Mad Mike

bubble

Free Member
Sep 4, 2009
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper
Exp
Returning after break
I understand each persons likes are different but we need a garage to take a mobility scooter and the 655 has the added bonus of a fixed bed and seperate shower, plus the one we have gone for has many many extras that make motorhoming a dream.::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back