Hymer Awning Light .. help (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Does anyone know how to remove the cover .. ?

I've tried gently prising around the edge with a small screwdriver while pressing up.. but it's not moving and don't want to break it.. knowing Hymer prices it probably costs two arms and two legs

It has two small slotted holes under the bottom edge which I've tried inserting small screwdrivers into.. no effect .. solid

IMG_0358.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I found this info on Facts.. anyone confirm ?

The anti drip channel is held on with Sikaflex.I have read that you have to heat this channel up with a hair dryer and slowly pull it off.
Its a bit messy but can be done with care and lots of Rags.

I have had a bulb dead in my awning light for some time. Today I bit the bullet and carefully removed the rain channel above the light. Cleaned up all the paintwork and then simply unclipped the light cover. To replace the rain channel, I first cleaned all the existing sticky off, made sure all was clean and tidy then used silicone that one would seal around the sink with. After a few minutes it was well fastened. I made sure that the rain channel was refitted about half an inch above its original position. No more problems to change bulbs in the future.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
the drip rail on mine is screwed on, i had to remove some of the screws so i could move it to give clearance to remove the light cover, if i remember correctly the holes in the bottom are tabs you push up and then pullout at the bottom and it unclips off the top. i replaced mine due to the halogen bulbs discolouring the lens, bought new one from Brownhills eBay, think they're about £16 and then i fitted 23mm round side pin LED bulbs, i used the cool white ones and they give abetter light than the halogens.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
the banana shaped plastic bit definitely comes off, done mine a few times (long story)

just been out to mine to remove and photograph, but mine now seems stuck fast, decided this is daft breaking mine to show you how to do it o_O

I am sure you push up the bottom to release the plastics catches, then it just pops off (y)

edit, I am now presuming you mean the light cover not the drip rail?

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
@Manic beat me to it, but I did mine without adjusting the drip rail

also bought a new cover I think via Brownhills for about that much (y)

my tale

Tried to change awning light to LED's, made the mistake of buying cheap and blew a fuse or 2, then at a meet @Steve and a couple of others helped me to fit better new LEDs and sort out the blowing fuse

However, I had it booked into Edgehill 'experts' in Hymer the week after and mentioned the blowing fuse on the awning light, it was in for other work mainly, when collected I had a comment about incorrect bulbs fitted in awning light, they had changed them back to halogen, which were in turn a few watts too big and melted the brand new cover I had just fitted due to discolouration :mad::mad:

Now refitted the same LED's that I had fitted and another new cover, agree that the daylight white LEDs give so much more useful light than the halogens, but they are visible through the cover which is a shame

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
Thanks chaps just looked at van and all makes sense . @Manic found the 2 screws holding moulding over light on. Great info (y)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
or 'upgrade' to a grey surround, looks posher and even cheaper (y)

tempted to get myself another (just in case) :)

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Light cover now removed..

As mentioned, two self tappers at the top, not visible when standing below..

Judicious use of a scraper and the rain channel came off.. no need to heat although that MAY have helped.. or MAY have made it messy..

Lens prised off from the bottom .. ( with a bit of persuasion )

Cleaned off residual adhesive with a plastic scarper and white spirit..

Glad I ordered a new lens.. the old one is discoloured badly and almost opaque ..

have ordered 2 x LED G4 tower LEDs from Aten..http://www.atenlighting.co.uk/27-led-tower-g4.html

IMG_0359.jpg IMG_0360.jpg IMG_0361.jpg IMG_0362.jpg IMG_0364.jpg

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back