Hymer ambient lighting too bright (1 Viewer)

Apr 26, 2019
Lightwater, Surrey
Funster No
MH
Hymer B674 SL
Exp
Since 2013
My Hymer B-Class has ambient lighting strips and spotlights all through the vehicle - very smart looking, but, way too bright for me!

There are seemingly no dimmers on any lights, which I find surprising for a premium van like this. I was testing the van in 'evening TV' mode last night, and the best ambience was achieved by turning off all the living room lights and just having reading lights on in the bedroom! This is a real shame as the LED strips and spots in the living room would look great if they could be dimmed a bit.

I see some people here have fitted inline dimmers on awning lights - I wonder if this would be possible in the habitation lighting circuits?

Any other options?

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Some lights dim by holding your finger the on off button, not your conventional turn a dial type.
Worth a try. Only found out my autotrail had it after 4 years !!!
My burstner also took me over a year before I saw someone post a thread about it, :doh:

OP
OP
D
Apr 26, 2019
Lightwater, Surrey
Funster No
MH
Hymer B674 SL
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks - yes, I also saw those threads when I was searching. :smiley:

Unfortunately, none of my lights seem to dim in this way. I have variously poked and prodded all the switches and they're all the plain on/off variety. What's most surprising is the spotlights, which are posh touch sensitive fittings that you tap to turn on/off. These are crying out for a dimming function where you can tap for progressive dimming. :unsure:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
D
Apr 26, 2019
Lightwater, Surrey
Funster No
MH
Hymer B674 SL
Exp
Since 2013
Update - turns out the bedroom spots are dimmable by holding the button :giggle:

Touch-sensitive living room ceiling lights can also be easily changed for dimmable versions, it seems, so looks like that will be my next project after fitting a roof fan.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
My last Hymer I fitted a dimmer to the lights around the skylight. Current van has the LED strips all around the cupboards & under the dropdown bed. Yes they are a bit bright. I bought a dimmer but it needs to be wired in series with both neg & positive feed, I've not been able to find the start of the Neg feed to be honest not tried that hard been busy with other things.

OP
OP
D
Apr 26, 2019
Lightwater, Surrey
Funster No
MH
Hymer B674 SL
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks Lenny - I think if I could get the main strips in the living room and bedroom to dim that would make things perfect. I I'll have a look at the wiring and see if I can work out where to install it. Presumably there will be a driver unit of some kind for the LED strips, and the dimmer would need to go inline after that.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Thanks Lenny - I think if I could get the main strips in the living room and bedroom to dim that would make things perfect. I I'll have a look at the wiring and see if I can work out where to install it. Presumably there will be a driver unit of some kind for the LED strips, and the dimmer would need to go inline after that.
I don't think there is any driver just 12v strips, the wiring goes all over the place a nightmare to follow, I might have another go.

OP
OP
D
Apr 26, 2019
Lightwater, Surrey
Funster No
MH
Hymer B674 SL
Exp
Since 2013
In that case should be able to place the small inline dimmer near the switch? Or would it be some kind of ring circuit?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
In that case should be able to place the small inline dimmer near the switch? Or would it be some kind of ring circuit?
That's what I thought but no sign of the neg near the switch. Mine has the LED's around the bed, above the top lockers, under the worktop edge and another couple of strips on the other side of the van above the TV mounting & the cubby hole below it.

OP
OP
D
Apr 26, 2019
Lightwater, Surrey
Funster No
MH
Hymer B674 SL
Exp
Since 2013
That's what I thought but no sign of the neg near the switch. Mine has the LED's around the bed, above the top lockers, under the worktop edge and another couple of strips on the other side of the van above the TV mounting & the cubby hole below it.

Sounds much the same as mine....I've ordered an inline dimmer so will have a poke around and report back if I have any success.

Deleted User
As already said if you have spotlights with a blue button just hold your finger against button without pressing and the lamp should dim, works for us. đź‘Ť

OP
OP
D
Apr 26, 2019
Lightwater, Surrey
Funster No
MH
Hymer B674 SL
Exp
Since 2013
As already said if you have spotlights with a blue button just hold your finger against button without pressing and the lamp should dim, works for us. đź‘Ť

Yep this works on the two reading spots in the bedroom, but not on any other light - curiously, not on the reading lights in the headliner at the front, which also have blue lights on them. I will attempt to replace with dimming versions.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Yep this works on the two reading spots in the bedroom, but not on any other light - curiously, not on the reading lights in the headliner at the front, which also have blue lights on them. I will attempt to replace with dimming versions.
All 3 of them work in our van but one doesn't remember the setting and always comes on at full brightness.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back