Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
2004 Starline 680, noticed that main beam on RHS headlight was out. Connection plug had come adrift and I suspect may have grounded and possibly blown a fuse as multimeter shows no power at the connection. Other side is fine and getting a reading. I’d be surprised if individually fused? but everything else appears working ok.

Anyone have any thoughts or know if fused and where I might find it? Have located fuses but all in German not really helping!

Cheers Dave

PS
Is there also some technique to remove the bulb? Or do those three screws need to come out?

IMG_5223.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
I should have thought of Google translate!

Fuse 2...Fernlicht recht...highbeam right!

Would still like to know about bulb removal though please :)

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
PS
Is there also some technique to remove the bulb? Or do those three screws need to come out?

It looks as it's a bayonet fitting - you need to twist the bulb holder to line up with the slots.
It looks as if it's designed so it has to fitted correctly.
They may be separate fuses because the Head light is quite a big load.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Makes safety sense too. If you have one headlight fail at night, taking the fuse with it, you don’t want to be plunged into darkness by having them both go out together.

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
It looks as it's a bayonet fitting - you need to twist the bulb holder to line up with the slots.
It looks as if it's designed so it has to fitted correctly.
They may be separate fuses because the Head light is quite a big load.

The four slots you can see are where the cap with connecting leads fit. That pushes in and twists. I’m still tending to think the three screws need to come out but as it’s pouring with rain here in Spain it will have to wait. The other worry is that the fuse is ok so not sure why no reading on my multimeter. Could be user error though :unsure:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
The other worry is that the fuse is ok so not sure why no reading on my multimeter. Could be user error though :unsure:

maybe wrong polarity mate? ;):LOL:

sorry.. couldn't resist and can't help with locating fuses

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Do you have a wiring diagram? What vehicle?
No wiring diagram, Hymer Starline 680 2004, will try a few things tomorrow in the light of a new day :)
maybe wrong polarity mate? ;):LOL:

sorry.. couldn't resist and can't help with locating fuses

Yes very amusing, your a lot of blooming help ;)

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
On my old Starline, the three screws were the ones to loosen in order to twist the light fittings between LHD and RHD modes. I seem to remember the bulb comes out straight - ie it only slots in in one orientation. However, as I remember it was a real gynaecological job to get to those screws, and as you’ve managed to get a good photo, maybe our set-ups aren’t exactly alike?
Isn’t there a relay or two in the headlight curcuit?
By the way, we are now at CC 48495 at Aguilas and have just experienced probably the same thunderstorm you suffered! Hope you get it sorted.

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
On my old Starline, the three screws were the ones to loosen in order to twist the light fittings between LHD and RHD modes. I seem to remember the bulb comes out straight - ie it only slots in in one orientation. However, as I remember it was a real gynaecological job to get to those screws, and as you’ve managed to get a good photo, maybe our set-ups aren’t exactly alike?
Isn’t there a relay or two in the headlight curcuit?
By the way, we are now at CC 48495 at Aguilas and have just experienced probably the same thunderstorm you suffered! Hope you get it sorted.

Thanks for that, weather permitting I’ll have a play tomorrow. The screws are reasonably easy to get at so I’ll try slackening off and see what happens. I wouldn’t be surprised if relays are in the circuit as well. I now know the bulbs are xenon so quite high power. All quiet here now weather wise but quit nippy :)

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
It would seem that I have HID lights on the main beam (High Intensity Discharge). That would explain why they are so bright on main beam. They use a ballast resistor (which I believe I can see in the wiring just below the lamps) to fire them up to a higher voltage apparently which could explain why I didn't get a reading on my multimeter? (had that set to 20 volts). Main fuses all appear to be OK but there could be additional due to this appearing to be a mod. With the connector that goes directly onto the bulb coming off it could have shorted out and also damaged the ballast resistor I suppose. I can see the lamps available on Halfords, but quite where I'd look for them here in Spain goodness knows. Not intending any night driving so not too much of a worry unless I got a roadside check on way back up through France.

d2s_8000.jpg

This looks exactly the same connector that I have. It could be the lamp that has failed that I assume I should still be able to check with a multimeter? @scotjimland Jim, any thoughts?

Dave

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
This looks exactly the same connector that I have. It could be the lamp that has failed that I assume I should still be able to check with a multimeter? @scotjimland Jim, any thoughts?

Hi Dave.. sorry, no experience of these HID lights , or how to check them.. have to pass on this one.. :(

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Go to you tube and search HID they need careful handling for your safety. Sorry I can't remember the details. You tube has videos and
Google has downloadable instructions.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
OK but there could be additional due to this appearing to be a mod.
Dave[/QUOTE]

You may need to be careful about this because I think after market hid headlight mods are supposed to be an mot failure issue as of this month.

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Cheers both @joka250 and @Pausim.

Lots on tube which I've been looking at. Best diagnosis seems to be swapping lamps left to right to begin with, followed by switching the ballast resistor.

Yes, also read about some of the issues surrounding these mods. It appears to be a 'proper' job all well installed and for some time I would guess. The lenses have also been replaced and are of the projection type.

Probably will be limping home with only the one working...but it won't hurt to have a play around...with the lights turned off!

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I think the mot now requires that hid headlights have automatic self levelling and washers to reduce glare to oncoming vehicles.

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
mot now requires that hid headlights have automatic self levelling and washers to reduce glare to oncoming vehicles.

This!

As mentioned above, HID replacement can be hazardous, and OEM Ballasts horrendously expensive. Looks like you have an aftermarket HID system fitted - I wonder whether there’s such a thing as a generic ballast? (assuming it’s the ballast at fault)
Also, as I understand it, the “ballast” is not just a resistor, it’s a complex bit of kit.

Good luck!

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
Also: my knowledge does not extend to these systems, but beware - there may be residual high voltages present even after switch-off?

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Went through a process of elimination this morning starting by swapping the left and right bulbs over. That showed that the bulb was fine. Tested the incoming supply to the ballast resistor and that was also fine. All four front lights are HID. Removed the suspect ballast resister which is a Hella Unit but nothing obviously untoward. Cleaned all the contacts up as best I could, refitted and hey presto it burst into life.

Much thanks for the help and putting me in the right direction...very illuminating :rolleyes:.

They have Clearly been fitted for sometime...maybe even original spec as all looks well fitted and the four projector lamps appear to be the correct type and not just an amateur diy job. It could have been imported like that. There is a mod on the dip lamps that allows adjustment from UK to European travel.

Not sure what the MOT will turn up in July. The light burn white with no hint of blue and I have never been flashed on dip beam. I may well go and have the lights beams checked out though before I present it for MOT.

On main beam they are exceptional...for an older Hymer. On Dip they are pretty much like any other vehicle I have driven.

A few pics of what I found.

IMG_5228.jpg IMG_5229.jpg IMG_5230.jpg

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
The MoT takes no interest in main beam other than to check that it works.
Not sure that will be the case from this month. There have been bits in the press about the new mot, including aftermarket hid headlights becoming fail items.

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Not sure that will be the case from this month. There have been bits in the press about the new mot, including aftermarket hid headlights becoming fail items.

Have contacted previous owners, they didn't have them fitted so It's looking likely that they were fitted by Hymer. They look as 'aged' as he rest of the vehicle. Will know soon enough as MOT is due in July.

100brian

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
isle of man
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
since 1990
Have contacted previous owners, they didn't have them fitted so It's looking likely that they were fitted by Hymer. They look as 'aged' as he rest of the vehicle. Will know soon enough as MOT is due in July.
Does it have headlight washers fitted.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I still doubt that main beams will be affected. Most MoT testers will only look for something blatant. They aren't allowed to remove (or move) anything during an MoT check and in the interest of good customer relations will ignore HID main beams if they can. There has never been a test of any aspect of main beam aim, wattage, or type, in the past & the only change now is about the type of bulb.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Yes, on the dipped beam but not on the main beam. Is that particularly relevant?

Xenon headlight must have a headlight leveller & or washers fitted by law. The presence of washers might signify that your headlights are a factory fit.

Mind you, I've been wrong before lol.

100brian

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
isle of man
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
since 1990
Xenon headlight must have a headlight leveller & or washers fitted by law. The presence of washers might signify that your headlights are a factory fit.

Mind you, I've been wrong before lol.
You should have no trouble at mot time.
You have Factory fitted xenons.

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Thanks for all the help and info on these lights. Learnt quite a bit about them. I will probably still need an auto electrician when I get home though. In all the fiddling and testing I’ve discovered that on headlamp flasher I only get one main beam light come on! Possibly been like it for a while as not something you’d generally notice.

Always something :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back