Hymer 544.......what's wrong about that? (2 Viewers)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Hymer 544.......are they any good??

I notice that many people refer to (own) the Hymer B544. I just wonder if anyone who has had one of these could let me know their thoughts please?

We want a 'van for two most of the time with the capacity for four now and then. We intended to tour UK and Europe for 8/9 months a year upon stopping (just can't quite say retire!).

I am attracted to the build and price but are they any good? How reliable are they and are they nice to drive? what about MPG etc? And what about storage (no garage)?

Sorry for so many questions but I am not sure where to start....

Many thanks

Chox

Last edited by a moderator:

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Hi. Well, we have a Dethleffs Globetrotter. (Dethleffs is part of the Hymer company and mechanically and interior-wise they are identical). Ours is 1991, 2.5TD, 5 berth, based on Fiat Ducato. Just the 2 of us live in her fulltime and we use the drop-down overcab bed. When we have company there is a double made out of the dinette, plus a single berth. Good sized washroom (shower,basin,wc). Hymers are available in various sizes, and with varying interior layouts - one to suit everyone. And are based on Fiat, Peugeot or Citroen chassis. (Yes, some of the older ones are based on the Mercedes chassis - and there are still some Bedford-based ones about (rare) and Ford (slightly less rare)...
Several friends of ours have Hymers, of various ages, and none are keen on changing... :Smile:

We find 'Delyth' very frugal indeed. When we could be bothered to measure the mpg accurately, we were getting over 30mpg. The performance is excellent whether on m'ways, lanes, hills (in Derbyshire at the mo) - never found wanting.

The storage is great for us, obviously may not be for others. One huge locker under the single settee berth, about 6'6" x 2' x 18" , and 2 under each dinette seat, about 4' x 2' x 18"... high lockers all round + shelves. Full-width 'boot', about 3' but only about 9" high - but it takes LOADS of gear... We've got a roof-box but found we didn't really need it so it's languishing in son's garden for the time being.

For us the best thing about our Dethleffs is that she's 21 years old and everything works as it should.

Reliability could be better: we had to have a new drive-shaft gaiter fitted a couple of months ago for the mot (£3.99)... and the same one replaced last week, after it split, with the proper one (£8.95). Tut tut!

Last edited:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
To be honest I don't think there is any thing wrong with that, the 544 is a very popular van, indeed Jim our leader has one himself.

We have the 584 very similar to the 544 but a 3 berth, both are a nice size 6 meters, ours is a 2000 and we find it very economical getting over 30 mpg on motorways and about 27/28 pottering around.

The build quality is very good, we have had ours 7 years now and would not think of changing it for anything else.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
Van choice

I have 534 with Fiat 2.5 TD only difference being a rear lounge. excellent choice of van this being my second one same layout, each to their own choice in preferences. always someone around on this site to point you in right direction if you have any queries. as you say good for 2 people but option for 4 plus small child if needed. good luck in your search, you will spot the right one when it comes along.

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Hi chox,

I have a 2007 B544SL. Which I have had from new. Personally I think the model is great, is the most popular layout apparently, Hymer stopped making them for a while but reintroduced them due to demand.

They will comfortably sleep 3 adults, 2 on the drop down bed and one on the side settee which pulls out to make a wide single. It would br perfectly possible for a small adult/child to use the opposite seat. In fact I am off to France for a little while soon with son, grandson 16 and younger grandson 9, and we don't anticipate any sleeping problems.

Excellent quality vehicles, I have had two and not experienced any build problems with either.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Hymer B544

If you are thinking of getting one, make sure that you get up and down the drop down bed, and try it together, especially if you tend to get up in the middle of the night.

Some have found this not as easy as they anticpated, and have changed their mind from a drop down to a pemanant bed.

Good luck and enjoy whatever you decide ::bigsmile:

S

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back