Hymer 544 - 1987 Electrics On Hook Up (1 Viewer)

Gingaboots

Free Member
Jun 26, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer b544
Exp
Hi all

Should the internal 12v electrics (lights, pumps etc) work when on hook up and 2nd battery charge as well? 2nd battery is dead but seems it is not charging on hook up and I cannot use taps etc as all powered from 12v source?

Thanks
Chris

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I suspect if your leisure battery is so dead it has nothing in it at all, then maybe all the 12 volts generated by the onboard charging system is taken up trying to charge the dud battery and none left over to power the vans 12 volt system OR in trying to do both a fuse has blown.

Probably someone who really knows will be along soon.

JJ :cool:

CandC

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 22, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Old School :D
Exp
Used to go with the olds! Now I have one of my own :)
I'm not familiar with your particular MH but I do have a couple of suggestions which may help you.

On many motorhomes, the hookup will power two main functions:
1) power any mains sockets, lighting and hard-wired electrical goods
2) power the 12v habitation electrics and charge the leisure battery / starter battery or both (often controlled by a selector switch)

The charging and 12v hab electrics could be done by a combined charger / transformer unit or separate units. Either way, you should have a consumer unit (like the fuse box in your house) with trip switches. There will be a master trip for all mains function and separate trips for (1) and (2). (2) may be 2 trip switches if not a combined unit.

Anyway, the first thing you should check is that all these switches are on ;)

If that doesn't solve it, then some more info might help others to give you something else to look at.

Do the mains sockets work when you're on hookup? What type of control panel do you have etc?

Hopeully we'll get you up and running soon! (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
In addition to what CandC has said check fuse 4 in the fuse board on the left hand side of the dash. It should be 16A and it is the output from the charger. I have a habitation wiring diagram for my 564 which I can scan and email if that will help.

Antonio

Free Member
Aug 8, 2013
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer 660s
Exp
6 months
Check the mains trip switch. Do you have mains power to the 3 pin plugs or fridge? Plug in a light, radio or the likes. If OK check the transformer, should be under one of the seats. This should have a fuse in it. 30 amp IIRC.
If no go look on FB under Classic Hymers. Loads of info and help:)

OP
OP
Gingaboots

Gingaboots

Free Member
Jun 26, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer b544
Exp
240v works (lights and sockets)...

Thanks for the tips, will check fuses etc

C.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Gingaboots

Gingaboots

Free Member
Jun 26, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer b544
Exp
I love electrics!
Checked all fuses, UN plugged the charger and tried it on different supply....nothing.
Plugged charger back into van supply again and bingo - now working! Guessing there is a dodgy connection somewhere (van unused for 6 years) but cannot now get it cut out again. Seems only pump not working is toilet flush.

Now, can anyone tell what this switch is for? It is at the back of the bathroom?
IMAG0295.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back