Free Member
Sep 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
new
Hello to you all,
i'm a new member on here looking to buy my first motor home. A bit about me, i'm a single male ,55, fit and healthy and have been looking/saving for the past 3ish years towards a small motor home to go mainly wild camping - Scotland and Ireland and maybe take in the odd Motogp round in Europe. I like the look of the Hymer 314 van, Burstner Travel van and the Knaus van Ti. The Hymer would have to be new but it does seem to do everything i would like. Can anyone offer any advice as i would like to buy right first time - if possible!

Thanks, Rob

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Just my opinion Rob, .. but for a single male and mainly for wild camping , I'd be looking for a PVC (panel van conversion) the models you are looking at are all coachbuilt..

PVCs are less 'obvious' and more suited to finding these wild lonely places at the end of dirt roads.. being narrower they are less likely to be damaged by hedges etc ..

my choice would be a Globecar / Possl van conversion, made in Germany

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Hello Rob. Welcome we have a Hobby van and love it . It's 6metres long but has a big garage and transverse bed . All the makes you are looking at are similar! Good luck

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Hi and welcome to FUN, I'm Jim on this one, don't write off PVCs until you've looked at a few, good luck in your search. (y)

pops

Free Member
May 1, 2012
south glos
Funster No
MH
Pilote panel van
Exp
since1997
Yes you definitely want to look at the PVC's that are on the market. Plenty of good offers around at the present moment.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi Rob , 314 looks a nice van ideal for 1 person, only 2 burner cooker & very small fridge, no oven or grill not a lot of storage for pots & pans etc otherwise very nice.

OP
OP

2buy4rob

Free Member
Sep 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
new
Thanks for replies so far! I have looked at PVCs ( Hobby Vantana, Knaus Boxlife, Westfalia Amundsen and Adria Twin are the ones i have seen so far and i did like them ) Take your point about stealth capability of PVCs. Forgot to mention i was thinking of maybe taking my motorbike on a carrier with me too. How well insulated are they in real world use, does anything annoy owners about the layouts how comfy are the rear beds? Will have a look at the Globecar/Possl.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
How well insulated are they in real world use, does anything annoy owners about the layouts how comfy are the rear beds? Will have a look at the Globecar/Possl.

There are three owners that I know of on here , @MinxyGirl @chockswahay @Judgemental (believe his is for sale, check the Fun classifieds ) ..maybe more, all speak highly of the Globecar/Possl vans. there is a time lapse video on Youtube of the construction .. quit impressive.

We were going to buy one but decided against as there are still three of us.. perhaps in the future..

Not forgetting Murvi.. also well screwed together

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thanks for replies so far! I have looked at PVCs ( Hobby Vantana, Knaus Boxlife, Westfalia Amundsen and Adria Twin are the ones i have seen so far and i did like them ) Take your point about stealth capability of PVCs. Forgot to mention i was thinking of maybe taking my motorbike on a carrier with me too. How well insulated are they in real world use, does anything annoy owners about the layouts how comfy are the rear beds? Will have a look at the Globecar/Possl.
Have a look at the British made Murvi as well. Excellent build quality and very light and airy inside.

I've just been on a Murvi owners club rally and I can vouch for most of the owners being quite normal! If normal includes taking your vehicle to Iceland which three folk did this year. However, I wouldn't recommend it for say winter skiing although that has been done but only by draining out all the water. The Posl is very good on insulation but has a very cramped sitting area compared to Murvis. I can only suggest look around and check layout, quality and comfort. The latter is important as many MHs have for example short, vertical seat backs which are fine if you like being reminded of going to church!
OI000017~2.jpg

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

Welcome...panel vans far less troublesome and easier to live with, no damp issues in comparison and more secure....

My Globecar/Possl for sale in classified section..great van. Sale due to health

Eddie

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/2013-globecar-possl-636-fr-french-bed-model.114486/

Last edited:

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
If you want winterised I'd have a look at the Le Strada Nova in classified as well as the Judges - both class vans

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
As a Globecar owner I do indeed have a bias :love:

We are very happy with ours, it does suit 'wild camping' and would have all the room you need. If I were you I would have a look at the shorter (5.6 mtr) Roadscout due to tighter turning circle, however the fridge is all electric so you would need a stack of solar panels for more than 2 nights off grid :eek:

Broken Link Removed They can be had for much less (y)

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
If you do decide that a PVC is right for you then you could do worse than have one fitted to your own specification. Ralph of Ralph and Bev did one this year and it was truly amazing. A Funster member Terry does this also. I have a PVC and I think it is great but would love to commission one to my own specification.

OP
OP

2buy4rob

Free Member
Sep 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
new
Judgementals PVC looks great but a bit too long for me, was looking at 6m max as i would like to keep it on my drive. Signature in Preston is not too far away so will try and have a look there. Building your own sounds good but i think you need to of had one to know what you would like.

Reactions: DBK

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Building your own sounds good but i think you need to of had one to know what you would like.

yes.. but the same applies for buying 'off the shelf' .. it's rare for someone to buy the 'perfect' van first time...

the most important and basic question when deciding .. do you want a fixed bed.. or prefer a U shaped lounge ?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Judgementals PVC looks great but a bit too long for me, was looking at 6m max as i would like to keep it on my drive. Signature in Preston is not too far away so will try and have a look there. Building your own sounds good but i think you need to of had one to know what you would like.

its 14 inches 0r 36 mm longer then a 6 metre van..But that makes a hell of a difference inside as you end up with a much better layout:)

We previously had a 6 m Adria there is no comparison for traveling

Eddie

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
take in the odd Motogp round in Europe.
Thanks, Rob

Tricky one this. Stay at circuit and get no sleep at all. Stay outside circuit and you have to be able to get there. Forestboy has best of all worlds with his Versys in the garage, though not an option in a smaller van.

pops

Free Member
May 1, 2012
south glos
Funster No
MH
Pilote panel van
Exp
since1997
Have you looked at the Pilote F60 at Lancaster Caravans in Bolton Le Sands ( on eBay). Had nothing to do with seller but have a 2013 Pilote f630 which we have been very pleased with. Also Hayes Leisure have new ones in stock.

Apr 12, 2011
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Burstner ixeo t 590
Exp
4yrs
Try one of the independant's as they will alter things around for you where as the big company's won't. Ours is a wildax the one to go for would be the Ih but you'll have to win the lottery for that

OP
OP

2buy4rob

Free Member
Sep 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
new
Hmm, Pilote looks good too, will try and get up to see it. Was pretty much set on a PVC originally then saw small narrow coachbuilts, now back looking at PVC's... oh dear!

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie

The small extra length that comes with the longer PVC is something you will not feel from the drivers seat . But the benefit will be felt when it comes to day to day living...
We have the more usual PVC at 6 metres. I wish we had gone for the extra long one now but it's too late.

Do we concentrate on what we can get on the drive or the sheer usability of the vehicle when we are away ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back