Hydrodiabolical legs for motorhomes. (1 Viewer)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I was at the show and notoed the number of levelling kits fitted to various of the Funster vans. Ah I thought have a look for the prices online and asked at the show as well.
Are they really worth £5000 or thereabouts just for a set of powered jacks and making it easier to level?????
The amount of actual hydraulic equipment is not that great for any of the makes, but it seems they must think if you want a set then you must have too much money in you pocket. I even asked a Dutch fitter how much and the reply was even dearer than the UK ones, but it seems they are very popular on the continent, but dearer than good old Treasure Island?????????
I also asked Travelworld but they will come back in a few days time so they will probably counting how many 0000' s they can add up. I am not expecting them to be be any different from the S&P ones.
Looks like I will need to keep on using the ramps. although being jacked up in the garden for security looks like a good idea if they are disabled once up in the air.
Does anybody think they ARE worth the money?

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I was at the show and notoed the number of levelling kits fitted to various of the Funster vans. Ah I thought have a look for the prices online and asked at the show as well.
Are they really worth £5000 or thereabouts just for a set of powered jacks and making it easier to level?????
The amount of actual hydraulic equipment is not that great for any of the makes, but it seems they must think if you want a set then you must have too much money in you pocket. I even asked a Dutch fitter how much and the reply was even dearer than the UK ones, but it seems they are very popular on the continent, but dearer than good old Treasure Island?????????
I also asked Travelworld but they will come back in a few days time so they will probably counting how many 0000' s they can add up. I am not expecting them to be be any different from the S&P ones.
Looks like I will need to keep on using the ramps. although being jacked up in the garden for security looks like a good idea if they are disabled once up in the air.
Does anybody think they ARE worth the money?
No! Don’t let @icantremember convince you that I think otherwise :whistle2:

£40 set of big ramps does the same job..... but smartphone controlled levelling is very “shiney”

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I don't think I have heard anybody say they wouldn't have them fitted again so that must be a resounding YES, I agree they are silly money but that's motorhoming for you;)

Martin

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
well the pumps are about £180 , double acting rams about £120 each some hoses say £250 and a 4 way valve body £125 so someone is making a lot of money and thats buying at retail .. Admittedly it would be a fully manual system but making it full electronic does not cost that much more . You would be better off fitting full air suspension and leveling that way . I have both on the RV but mostly just use the air.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Worth it? Not if you can't afford it.
Much better than blocks. Rock solid, not bouncing around on the suspension.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
well the pumps are about £180 , double acting rams about £120 each some hoses say £250 and a 4 way valve body £125 so someone is making a lot of money and thats buying at retail .. Admittedly it would be a fully manual system but making it full electronic does not cost that much more .
Plus a few brackets, some electronics and of course the design and TUV approval, then the manufacturer makes a profit and the importer in the UK followed by fitting costs more profit and VAT.

It's surprising how it all adds up.

Martin

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Great deal of money, yes, but we are very happy with them after months of going through the do we need them? No is the answer to that but would we like them, Yes.
We decided to bite the bullet and we are really glad we did now.
No ramps to carry, no need for a jack any more, perfectly level every time and no hint of movement when moving about inside or when windy.
We decided on the HPC system from AS in Warrington because it’s lighter, has less bits to fit and has phone app control.
It’s a matter of personal choice in the end if it’s worth it to you. No regrets here.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
I can honestly say I’ve never needed them in 25 or more years, and also that I’ve only ever used ramps maybe 10 times in all that time, but also I wish to flipping fudging fork I had them in France last year when I got a bit bogged down in sand on a site on the Ile d’Oleron, as digging lying on my belly with an 18” spade to get slip mats under, was not really that difficult, but the pain in my back for the next six months was excruciating and it would have been well worth the expense to jack up the van at the push of a button to get the mats under the tyres! My next van is getting them, end of!:eek:

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
They are some thing I would never have considered, but were on the Burstner when we bought it and having them on there is so nice. Easy to level, no rocking inside and makes emptying the grey easier by just jacking up the front. (y)

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Never used ramps and don't have levellers
Yet my shower drains fine my fridge works and I don't fall over walking round the van.

And I park everywhere and anywhere.

Don't see the point myself but hey ho lol
You’ve just copied the post you made about campsite ;)(y)

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I love hydraulic levelling jacks:love:

The camper wobbles a bit with one slide out, and a lot with both slide outs, out:sick:

And worse of all the waste disposal unit doesn’t work unless the van is level:eek:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Ooh look at that and I just parked

20180427_084225.jpg

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Just out of interest why do you carry a spirit level if you never bother using ramps or levelling.

Martin
I also have 2 full toolboxes including saws drills Sanders routers , all my mechanical tools , a washing machine and everything else I own in the world in my van.

I don't use half of it :)

I can tell if I'm level or near enough just by looking at it ..... if I needed to use the spirit level to actually check if I was level I'd be seriously worried

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I could see the advantages of levelling jacks. Who ever is in charge of the remote can tilt the van so that the other person falls out of bed in the morning to make the tea. Haha

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I can see the need for them with some vans but I do think it's just another expensive gimmick on a van .....but if you can afford them and you want them it is each to their own. But it's like the levelling ramps I see folk pulling on to wild spots and they are out for ages messing around trying to get the van perfectly level which just seems a load of hassle to me.
I don't think having it perfectly level is that important. .if I can get it near enough then great ....if not I move to another spot where I can lol.

I also like to be able to do a quick getaway if I need to without going outside so I don't use ramps or external screens etc .....and the drivers seat is always back in driving position before I go to bed

But 5k is a lot of money for what they are ain't it

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I hope this doesn't sound too weird but I do quite like using the ramps. I have even been known to select a wonky pitch so that I can test my levelling skills.

They cost me 50-quid and I get a whole load of fun out of using them.

Some people talk about the popularity of automated systems but I've not seen any evidence of that on my UK travels. I saw one large Frankia equipped with an auto-levelling system in 2016 but nothing else in 2-years.

Still, everyone to their own.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I had never had them. I thought the same as the OP,why would I spend all that money on a gimick? A good set of leveling blocks would suffice.

Then I got Paul's Palace which came with them fitted at less than a year old. In a van like mine it's never level, with the E&P system it makes life so easy, every time I pull up I press a button and job done. Want to empty the waste? press another button for a nice sideways tilt and goodbye waste water.

Other benefits?
When at home I use them and it takes the pressure off the tires,
They also work as a good theft deterant,
Amazing for changing wheels quickly or if one of your wheels falls off in a busy high street,
And of course finally there is the "pose factor" we just like these things don't we.

So it's about convenience really.

Would I have them on another van? well, depends on the van tbh. If it was a nose down van like I have then yes.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I had never had them. I thought the same as the OP,why would I spend all that money on a gimick? A good set of leveling blocks would suffice.

Then I got Paul's Palace which came with them fitted at less than a year old. In a van like mine it's never level, with the E&P system it makes life so easy, every time I pull up I press a button and job done. Want to empty the waste? press another button for a nice sideways tilt and goodbye waste water.

Other benefits?
When at home I use them and it takes the pressure off the tires,
They also work as a good theft deterant,
Amazing for changing wheels quickly or if one of your wheels falls off in a busy high street,
And of course finally there is the "pose factor" we just like these things don't we.

So it's about convenience really.

Would I have them on another van? well, depends on the van tbh. If it was a nose down van like I have then yes.
I'm surprised with those wheels your not fitting hydraulics like the puerta Ricans that bounces and drops it in the grass when you stop

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
So the people who have forked out a fortune on a levelling system say they have no regrets. Well, in the words of the late Mandy Rice Davies "well they would say that would't they". Ramps work just fine for us and they also do not reduce our payload,

The Tincas

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back