Hydraulic Leveling (1 Viewer)

Mar 3, 2019
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I'm a newbie here but not to life
Hi
I have read many post on the forum regarding hydraulic leveling system. What I gleam is that in general people think they are over priced but once they do purchase a system they would not be without it for all the benefits it brings.
I also read that like with all things in life a number of peaople are not happy with the company that installed there system or the service was not to there liking and I accept that this will always be the situation. Not everyone will be happy all of the time.

Having looked at the the various systems I am favouring the MA-VE system as a well priced reasonably low weight solution with enough programability for my needs.
My question is forget the installation forget the service have any members had any mechanical failures with there system. Like leaks, not operating properly fron the control pad, valve/pump issues. These are the thing that worry me I can deal with the poor instal/service myself. I just want to know if the mechanical bits have a good reputation/reliability or not.

Steve

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Steve can i ask what has made you think off opting for the MA-VE system over the very popular E&p system which seems tried and tested.

I cant help you with the MA-VE system and i dont know anything about itand i am not condemning it in any way but i have had my E&P on my last 2 mh now for 4 years and it has been 100% faultless and i use it every time i stop even for a 20 minute cuppa on my journey

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
When you say forget install / service, I would say let the professionals do it. They are a lot more complicated than you think. Thats why I used SAP at Doncaster, Mick knows everything you need to know about levelling and suspension. Sometimes its worth paying a bit more for a proper job.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
I had the Ma-Ve system fitted and had it removed, it simply did not work properly. They may well have sorted it out by now but I went for E&P (owned by ALKO now) and have no regrets. I had a hydraulic unit leak, I was able to retract it ok. My supplier replaced the unit and no problems since. I got the impression the unit failing was a very rare occurrence. The E&P comes with a remote control which is better than faffing around with Bluetooth on an App on your phone. Incidentally Ma-Ve never got that to work properly on my Samsung phone or tablet.

Upvote 0
Apr 2, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
We looked at both systems, and opted for E&P on the basis that they are well established, and at the time Ma-Ve was newish to the market and a bit of an unknown quantity. We've experience no mechanical, electrical or hydraulic problems with it. Our was installed at Bardsea Leisure in Ulverston, was the actual instal was done by E&P engineers, who travelled, as part of training the Bardsea engineers. E&P was supposedly more expensive, but we got a price match with Ma-Ve. Before we got it, I thought the systems were expensive and overpriced. Now we've got it, wouldn't be without it. Buy something that makes my life easier, or leave it to the kids? Hmm - let me think about that for a moment!!

Upvote 1

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
How much does a levelling system weigh?

The E&P system fitted to ours weighed in at 54kg, but some of that weight was offset by not now having to carrying the two sets of levelling ramps at 11.5Kg and the jack at 6.5Kg, so 17Kg knocked of the E&P weight.

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Ours was a tad over £5000 2 years ago at SAP.

Takes about a day and a half to fit. You can stay the night for free in their secure compound with EHU and use their courtesy car if you want a ride out or use their free tea and coffee in their waiting room if you prefer.

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
You don't always get what you pay for, and certainly not in proportion to the cost, but there is probably a reason for the cheapest on the market being in that position. It may be wiser to go for a mid-priced solution.

GlideRite electronics were poor and their legs would drop slowly under gravity. All could be overcome by manual intervention but, for a few quid more, you could have a system that works as it should.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S
Mar 3, 2019
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Two

You have an interesting point.
If you are new to the market it make sense to sell at a lower price to built a reputation and encourage people to buy.
If you are already in the market you will have a reputation and possible a captive market. in which case you can as the americans say charge what the market will bear.
The reasoning behind my post was to guage if the coponents of the MA-VE system have a reliable/unreliable reputation and only that.

Upvote 0

BigDean

Free Member
Mar 31, 2018
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Since 2017
Hi Steve

On my last MoHo I had Ma:ve installed. It was “okay”. App was useless. Connection problems made me stop using it.

Went for E&P on new one, fitted last week at SAP. As someone said, controller is far superior to messing about with an app, and it just works.

Had an issue with one of the legs not being 100% straight. Called Rick in the office, straight back in the following day. Mick fabricated a couple of cross members and fitted same day. Now perfect. Can’t fault the customer service unlike previous company with Ma:ve.

SAP are just on another level (like Vanbitz are for security). They also fitted the VB semi air suspension for me which is also better than the Dunlop on previous MoHo.

Worth the extra few pounds any day of the week.

All the best
Dean

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S
Mar 3, 2019
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Thank’s Dean
I have heard nothing good about the app. That said what is the advantage of an app In the first place bluetooth has limited range So you have to be by the Moho and the system has it’s own controller any way. I am having difficulty in understanding why an app even exists. The cynic in me thinks the app is just a hook marketing tool as everyone now seems to enjoy the world on there phone, even if the reason for the app is questionable. so app aside what does e&p do or give you which makes the difference. I have already said service is probably not an issue for me.

Upvote 0

BigDean

Free Member
Mar 31, 2018
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Since 2017
Hi Steve

The app is more important for Ma:ve as their panel is a wired panel, so you can’t move it anyway. The E&P is wireless so negates the need for an app!

You say service isn’t an issue, but when you are stuck on site and you can’t use the system, or worse, it is stuck in place, you want to know there is someone to talk to..... but that could be just me. I am a software guy, so proper engineering is not my bag!

I just feel, bearing in mind I have only had the E&P a week, it feels more substantial. It also allows for a larger incline for the auto mode.

My decision was mainly based on the control panel and the installer. I think this whole industry is shocking for quality and service, so finding a solution and company that I felt offered a better overall package than others swung it for me.

SAP start with an answer of yes, whereas so many UK companies start with no and work up from there.

Give Rick a call and see for yourself.

Good luck.
Dean.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S
Mar 3, 2019
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
hi Dean

So I am mechanical with a little software. The MA-VE has a mechanical override and manual pump so a completely stuck situation should not exist and phone calls should only be required when at home (unless your are touring). The companyI have spoken to for installation say they install the unit underneath, which in my opinion is bonkers. If a failure/problem exists you have to crawl under the Moho, as agile as I am at my age that is just nuts. I plan to have it fitted in my garage where I can get at it.

Many years in industry tells me that if you have a spare or have made allowances for problems they generally they do not happen. Sods laws says that if you have no spare and it is difficult to get to it will go wrong. I am however still not getting this mobility with control idea, tell the system to level and it will. Your point that the e&p system will level on a larger gradient is valid, but how often do you find yourself on a slope that bad? This is just the percentage game and for an additional £750 the sums do not add up in my mind. Clearly it does add up in others.

We can all agree the all of the system are expensive, I cannot calculate as an engineer how the cost is arrived at. I have looked at European install and the equipment prices seem to match UK prices. In general installation appears to be cheaper In Europe. Back to an earlier point all the time people pay the price, no business will question its sales price hence the current costing.

As a thought and if it were possible to organise bulk purchase from a group this always forces prices down. Buying an individuals is the worst situation to get prices down. You can be assured that an Moho manufacture fitting a system as standard will not be paying anything near the cost you and I have to pay.

Upvote 0

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Steve Wilson not sure on how the ma-ve system works, can you overide the auto levelling and do it manually. You said earlier how often are you on a slope that is too great for it to auto level well my answer is A LOT

What i do in this sutuation is put wooden blocks under the rams and switch to manual leveling then i can get level most the time when the auto level will not work due to the gradient being too steep.

I also use blocks under the front rams if they are going to be at full stretch as this stops the rams from using all of the 2nd stroke which is thinner.

If i dont use the blocks and rams are at full limis it can be a bit wobbly on the front end as the rams are not wide enough apart on the fiat chassis

Upvote 0

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
Thank’s Dean
I have heard nothing good about the app. That said what is the advantage of an app In the first place bluetooth has limited range So you have to be by the Moho and the system has it’s own controller any way. I am having difficulty in understanding why an app even exists. The cynic in me thinks the app is just a hook marketing tool as everyone now seems to enjoy the world on there phone, even if the reason for the app is questionable. so app aside what does e&p do or give you which makes the difference. I have already said service is probably not an issue for me.
I have Ma-Ve fitted by a motorhome garage in Kent about a year ago. Fantastic job and my app works perfectly. I picked Ma-Ve because the garage fitting it was the nearest to where I live. The price was on par with other makes but they have a 3 year European warranty.

Upvote 0

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
Steve Wilson not sure on how the ma-ve system works, can you overide the auto levelling and do it manually. You said earlier how often are you on a slope that is too great for it to auto level well my answer is A LOT

What i do in this sutuation is put wooden blocks under the rams and switch to manual leveling then i can get level most the time when the auto level will not work due to the gradient being too steep.

I also use blocks under the front rams if they are going to be at full stretch as this stops the rams from using all of the 2nd stroke which is thinner.

If i dont use the blocks and rams are at full limis it can be a bit wobbly on the front end as the rams are not wide enough apart on the fiat chassis
You can overide which allows you jack up in any combination you want i.e. I jack up one side when I want to fully empty the tanks etc.

Upvote 0

cjthespringer

Free Member
Aug 7, 2013
wiltshire
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
i'm a newbie
Hi
I have read many post on the forum regarding hydraulic leveling system. What I gleam is that in general people think they are over priced but once they do purchase a system they would not be without it for all the benefits it brings.
I also read that like with all things in life a number of peaople are not happy with the company that installed there system or the service was not to there liking and I accept that this will always be the situation. Not everyone will be happy all of the time.

Having looked at the the various systems I am favouring the MA-VE system as a well priced reasonably low weight solution with enough programability for my needs.
My question is forget the installation forget the service have any members had any mechanical failures with there system. Like leaks, not operating properly fron the control pad, valve/pump issues. These are the thing that worry me I can deal with the poor instal/service myself. I just want to know if the mechanical bits have a good reputation/reliability or not.

Steve

Upvote 0

Markco

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2019
Redcar
Funster No
MH
Autotrail apache 700
Exp
Since june 2019
Hi steve in my opinion I would go for the EP system and get Mick at SAP to do it done my 2 month's ago all pipe work and electrics in conduit and then undersealed he knows his stuff and any problems he is there any time to ring top guy wouldn't be without mine now
Hi

Steve
My opinion

Upvote 0

cjthespringer

Free Member
Aug 7, 2013
wiltshire
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
i'm a newbie
We had a Ma Ve system fitted a couple of years ago, used it a lot in all sorts of conditions and so far no problems at all. Does require a bit of manual 'tweeking' to get it dead level but I suspect that's more to do with setting it up on a dead flat surface in the first place rather than the system. Ron

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
We had a Ma Ve system fitted a couple of years ago, used it a lot in all sorts of conditions and so far no problems at all. Does require a bit of manual 'tweeking' to get it dead level but I suspect that's more to do with setting it up on a dead flat surface in the first place rather than the system. Ron

You say not problems at all with the Ma Ve system and then go on to say that you have to manually tweek it to get it level. :doh:

No "tweeking" with the E&P system, it just does what it supposed to do.

Upvote 0

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
We now have HPC system with app installed by LNB Bristol to AlKO chassis. Works like a dream. Big investment, but hopefully last motorhome, we have everything we need on it. Shower just drains properly, fridge appears more efficient., no rock n roll when sleeping at night (unless we want it!!!!!)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back