Humberto the 2008 Hymer B544 SL (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Go Humberto!

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
I'm currently working my way through the photos and videos of our July trip to France.

Catch the updates here >>> Go Humberto! <<<

Videos will take a bit longer and will be here >>> Go Humberto! Videos <<<

Don't forget to subscribe to the Youtube channel if you enjoy the videos. Cheers.

20180704 IMG_2559 sunset 1920.jpg

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
No, we don't have a spare wheel. This does worry me, not so much in the UK, but going abroad.

It's very easy to lose traction on wet grass, even on the slightest of slopes, in the B544. Since this is our first MH I don't know if it's any better or worse than similar ones. Many MHs seem to have huge overhangs at the rear. Going to have 2 Michelin Agilas Camping tyres fitted next week (front) to match the rear. These have better tread than the budget ones we got with it.

I should really visit a weighbridge. We are rated at 3850Kg with 2000Kg rating at the rear.

What's your opinion on the uprated front springs? I don't mind spending money if there's a perceivable improvement.

The only fault we had with our 2012 B544 was the weight towards the rear - light on the steering and wet grass was a real issue maybe as we had aircon and sat dish both fitted towards the back.
However fitted all weather tyres and the difference was amazing - well worth it. The wear was better and no additional sound from the road.
Also had semi air as the rear which made for a much better ride. Ours came with uprated springs at the front as built on a maxi chassis - I thought all 3 litre versions had uprated springs?
like your blog, travels and photography well done. We miss our B544 and the 3 litre engine - ho and the large living space!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Just been looking at your great blogs again.
We only live 20 miles from Newhaven so nearly always use that crossing only ever had millpond crossings. This trip paid £150 for a return Dover would have been £130 + extra £100 in fuel. In March paid £89 return.
Always liked Dropped but now they have jacked the price of the Aire up tend to stay further out or at the port.

Not very impressed with Hayling Island probably because we live 200yds from a nicer beach. Was going to stay a night last year but put off by the price including day parking £25.
They have now banned Motorhomes from overnighting, health and safety was the excuse because they can't police how far apart the vans park.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Seeing the weight comments on this thread our last Hymer (2014 Exsis A class) front axle was coming in at 1630 kg & rear at 2000 kg I fitted all season tyres. The front wheels would spin on hills in the wet particularly in Greece where the tarmac is not that good in the wet.
Current Hymer is over 2000 kg on the front and 2000 - 2100 kg on the rear so hopefully will be better in the same situation. First Hymer was 1750 on the front never had any problems with that.
Can't comment on Goldsmitt springs as all 3 vans have had them as standard. Main reason for changing to them is to bring the front ride height up by 50mm.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Go Humberto!

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
Just been looking at your great blogs again.
We only live 20 miles from Newhaven so nearly always use that crossing only ever had millpond crossings. This trip paid £150 for a return Dover would have been £130 + extra £100 in fuel. In March paid £89 return.
Always liked Dropped but now they have jacked the price of the Aire up tend to stay further out or at the port.

Not very impressed with Hayling Island probably because we live 200yds from a nicer beach. Was going to stay a night last year but put off by the price including day parking £25.
They have now banned Motorhomes from overnighting, health and safety was the excuse because they can't police how far apart the vans park.

Yes, Hayling is now a no-go. Clearly any council officials worried by the gaps between vehicles never stayed in the Aire at Honfleur.

Our new front tyres (Michelin Agilis Camping) have improved the ride a lot. I assume they will help with grip although I'm loathe to test it.
The only downside with Newhaven is the extremely aggressive "Sleeping Policemen" on the exit back into Newhaven. They are high and steep. We rumbled our exhaust over it but a MoHo in front, a new Carthargo, seemed to completely mangle his entry-door Steps on one (He was out of his vehicle, trying to sort them out on the Newhaven road as we drove out.

The tops of the speed-bumps are worryingly grooved. Crazy. Beware owners of low-slung vehicles (Like new Baileys).

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Our new front tyres (Michelin Agilis Camping) have improved the ride a lot. I assume they will help with grip although I'm loathe to test it.
Just gone right off Michelin Agilis Camping, my van is 18 months old just clocked up 12000 miles thought the tread on the front tyres was looking low. Measured them front 5mm rear 5.5 mm. On a heavy vehicle I like to replace them at 4mm and if you want to go through Germany in the winter 3mm is the legal minimum anyway.
Looks like I'll be replacing all four by 20,000 miles.
Conti's on my first Hymer still had 4mm on the front and 6 mm on the rear at 30,000.
Last van had similar wear but I changed them for uprated tyres so don't really know.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
, Hayling is now a no-go. Clearly any council officials worried by the gaps between vehicles never stayed in the Aire at Honfleur.

In the UK, caravan sites owners, including LAs , have to conform to fire regulations for spacing for caravans.. that is the law.. nothing to do with worried councillors.

.. what the French do has no bearing on it.

For the purposes of the law, a motorhome is regarded as a caravan..

LAs may have their own rules but they cannot fall below the Minimum Requirements, as detailed below

1. Density, spacing parking and protection from vehicles

1. 1.1 No caravan or combustible structure shall be placed within 3 metres of the boundary of the site.

2. 1.2 Every caravan shall be spaced at a distance of no less than 6 metres (the separation distance) from any other caravan which is occupied. The separation distance can be reduced provided adequate control measures are introduced to prevent the spread of fire.

3. 1.3 No caravan shall be stationed within 2 metres of any road or communal car park within the site or more than 50 metres from such a road within the site.

OP
OP
Go Humberto!

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
It's a shame that the only solution they could think of was to ban the whole concept of Motorhomes using the beach location overnight. It's a very British solution to the problem.

If they are going to pay someone to enforce the ban then they may as well have paid the same person to enforce a 3m "firewall" rule and charge money to cover their wages.
Now they are simply paying someone to enforce the ban but not getting any revenue.

There are acres and acres of unused (overnight) car parking spaces at Hayling. from the funfair down to the golf course. Motorhomes were only crammed together because they were forced to use a small section of the total available space.

I wonder if it's affected the local trade at all (The Inn on the Beach won't be getting any of my money any more).

OP
OP
Go Humberto!

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
For those interested I've added a few posts to the Blog, including my 2 year update video on my GAS-IT permanent LPG conversion.

2 years has given me time for enough refills to make a valid judgement on the economics, and convenience, of converting to a permanent LPG system.

>> HERE <<

OP
OP
Go Humberto!

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
We are currently plodding our way across Normandy and into Brittany.
You can follow our plod >> Here <<

I'll try, WiFi permitting, to update every few days.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
At Colbosc The electric is only on in the summer, turns of in October and yes we had to buy a big water adapter from brico down the road.
Nice walk around the Chateau.
Nicely laid out Aire.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Go Humberto!

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
I had one of my Dometic Oven Door Hinges fail, which resulted in the door sagging and unable to close properly.
I bought replacements (OUCH!!)

Here's a video of me replacing them, just in case you want to DIY. It's simple when you know how.

>> VIDEO <<

OP
OP
Go Humberto!

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
Here's a speedy trip from Le Havre to the Aire de Camping Car in Honfleur. Surely one of the best reasons to own a Motorhome is the ability to park in Honfleur for about £10 a night!!

>> VIDEO <<

OP
OP
Go Humberto!

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
Subject - Gas Struts for drop-down bed.

We'd noticed that the bed was hard to lift back into place, especially with bedding/duvet left on. The bed was hanging on the safety strap. It was clear that it had deteriorated over time so that we didn't notice it happening but it was definitely time to replace them.

- Problem. It's practically impossible to access the struts when they are uncompressed. The bed is fully up and covering the struts. When the bed is down the struts are very easy to access but loaded at 2400Nm (which is basically a bomb). I don't have a strut compressor.

I decided to stump up several hundred quid and have Erwin Hymer (of Telford) do it for me since they have a strut compressor and the correct parts.

All is good now, the bed snaps back into the roof with very little assistance but I thought I'd post details of the struts they replaced (They were fine when we bought it, although Humberto was 8 years old when we bought him (now 10 years old)).

The receipt for the new ones says - H1763794 103620/BED STRUT (Are STABILUS struts the original part?)
I'll contact Hymer and ask if this is a quotable part number at some point.
20190512_165215-01.jpeg
20190512_165416-01.jpeg
20190512_165619-02.jpeg

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
On my Hymer B544, I had the same issue with the bed, I called this company, gave them the numbers that were on the original struts, next day I got new struts. With the help of @Sheriff we fitted them in about 40 curses and 6 Erwin Hymer death threats (y)

OP
OP
Go Humberto!

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
On my Hymer B544, I had the same issue with the bed, I called this company, gave them the numbers that were on the original struts, next day I got new struts. With the help of @Sheriff we fitted them in about 40 curses and 6 Erwin Hymer death threats (y)

Yes I'm aware of SGS but I didn't have a compressor for the struts and (hopefully) it won't be such a regular occurrence that I need to buy one. Every 10 year will be OK.

We're 2 weeks from going full-time (our house is sold) so I just needed it done ASAP. In future I may get a mate to fabricate a compressor for me.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Yes I'm aware of SGS but I didn't have a compressor for the struts and (hopefully) it won't be such a regular occurrence that I need to buy one. Every 10 year will be OK.

We're 2 weeks from going full-time (our house is sold) so I just needed it done ASAP. In future I may get a mate to fabricate a compressor for me.

We fitted them without a compressor through the windows, great fun, I say we. @Sheriff did most if the work while I did the worrying.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back