Apr 23, 2010
Isle Of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
Hi Funsters,
Just about had a bellyful of Sky:Angry:and the attitude of there people,anybody would think they are doing me a service for which I should be eternally grateful!!!
Am considering buying the Humax Foxsat Reciever,has anybody any experience of there capabilities across Europe or in U.K.

Would then just replace one box for the other and say good riddance to Sky.
Regards Steve.
Red Dragon

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Welcome to the revolution
Nothing but good came from my change over, very happy with the Humax:thumb:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I logged on to start a similar thread! We have acquired a Sky Pace minibox, which works fine but I think to get the most out of it you need to be a person that uses Sky anyway, and we have never had satellite TV at home either. I was looking at the Maxview and Comag boxes for Freetoair whatever Tv. So any replies to Red Dragon and I will obviously be doubly appreciated ::bigsmile: Jane

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Can anyone recommend for a 12v (nice and small, not all of us are in RVs) one that works in 'Europe' (that not only powers on but picks up free channels) I just want the sort of thing that I would get if I had the white card from Sky but without divulging my existence to them :roflmto: Many thanks, Jane :Smile:

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Can anyone recommend for a 12v (nice and small, not all of us are in RVs) one that works in 'Europe' (that not only powers on but picks up free channels) I just want the sort of thing that I would get if I had the white card from Sky but without divulging my existence to them :roflmto: Many thanks, Jane :Smile:

We bought, an we are in an RV:ROFLMAO:, a sat in a box set up from Maplin, name is escaping me, and the freesat box is very small.12 volt or 240 via a 12 volt adaptor and is easy to setup. Once pointing at the sat a couple of button presses and all good. From what other say it's not the box but the dish affects what and where you'll get signal, mind you we've only used it twice and only in the UK.

I'm sure I saw it for sale separate in Maplin and not dear.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
buy the one with the recorder, fantastic bit of kit, humax do deals on their website direct.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
just done the same ourselves, SKY goes at the end of this month (£60 a month saved :drink: ) but you can still use the box for freesat for as long as you want - or at least until sky change the cards again and they will probably charge then:Angry:

But - we have the big switchover here in a couple of months so may well punt SKY completely ::bigsmile:

any views ('scuse the pun) on freesat versus freeview?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
There were a couple of stations i missed on freeview so I bought a freeview recorder as well,
Sorted:thumb: now got over 800gig of hdd and can record or watch any combination of at least 4 channels at once:thumb:
I Just use the old sky box in the motor home, and a small philips freeview box about 200+ chanels but no recording features (Yet):winky:

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We have the Humax Freesat box, it is the best bit of TV kit you can buy.

Rgds
Bill

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Am considering buying the Humax Foxsat Reciever,has anybody any experience of there capabilities across Europe or in U.K.
Red Dragon

It worked for us.

Only downside is no DVD so you can't archive your recordings.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
There were a couple of stations i missed on freeview so I bought a freeview recorder as well,
Sorted:thumb: now got over 800gig of hdd and can record or watch any combination of at least 4 channels at once:thumb:
I Just use the old sky box in the motor home, and a small philips freeview box about 200+ chanels but no recording features (Yet):winky:

yep I got that too, cant miss DAVE, my freeview is a panasonic, now if I can hook up the humax via a fully wired scart output into the panasonic input, Im quids in for backing up stuff I want to keep,

Theres also a usb output on the humax to backup stuff to another hard drive but Ive never tried it.

OP
OP
Red Dragon
Apr 23, 2010
Isle Of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
Thanks everybody for that input so its the Humax for me.:thumb:::bigsmile:
Also thanks (Sebthegecko)I too have a panasonic Dvr so as you suggested scart the two together and then archive onto DVD's

Brilliant thanks one and all.
Regards, Steve
Red Dragon.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
It's very easy to archive stuff using a USB stick.

Rgds
Bill

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
By coincidence, I fitted a Humax receiver in my M/H today. Having already got the Humax PVR (recorderable) one in the house I had no hesitation in picking Humax again. One consideration for M/h users it is only 240v, doesn't bother me I always use sites with EHU.

OP
OP
Red Dragon
Apr 23, 2010
Isle Of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
Hi

Hi Gooney
Yeah have decided thats the way to go,:Smile:not bothered about the 240v as the sky box is the same,I just run it through a 150 inverter when not on ehu.

Thanks
Red Dragon:thumb:

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
We have 2 Humax Freesat Boxes and are very pleased with them both.

One is used on our main TV at home with the redundant Sky Dish and the other is either used in the bedroom or in the camper when we are away. Have a small sat dish and tripod which is quite easy to set up.

As we use the Freesat box at home it is already tuned in to our Home Post Code so when we get a picture it is on the local channel for local news etc.

Have used the full system in Holland, Italy and France without any problems. When we are abroad and see an article on our Local BBC channel we text our friends and comment, they are amazed we can get Local channels when abroad.

Nov 12, 2010
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
5 Years
Humax Freesat Boxes Rule

Hi Funsters,
Just about had a bellyful of Sky:Angry:and the attitude of there people,anybody would think they are doing me a service for which I should be eternally grateful!!!

Regards Steve.
Red Dragon

Got two of these boxes, one on my narrowboat and one in my house in Spain, they knock spots of the Sky box for performance when the signal is a bit weak and that is the usual case in Spain.
Highly recommended.:thumb::thumb:
and no i don't have any connection to Humax or Freesat

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Hi Funsters,

Regards Steve.
Red Dragon

That`s exactly what we did the humax box is excellent so easy to use and from what we were told by a installer the Humax box is one good bit of kit.:thumb:

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
But remember that using a Sky box with a Sky card (a freesatfromsky card) will allow you to receive ITV1, C4 and Five, in areas of Spain where the Freesat box will not be able to (unless you have a "big dish").

Freesat uses only "Free to air" non sky card from the "weaker" astra 2 satellite, yet ITV1, C4 and Five are available "Free to view" using other regions on the "stronger" Astra 2a/b satellites.

Last edited:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Got two of these boxes, one on my narrowboat and one in my house in Spain, they knock spots of the Sky box for performance when the signal is a bit weak and that is the usual case in Spain.
Highly recommended.:thumb::thumb:
and no i don't have any connection to Humax or Freesat

Hi oldfozzie......what dish size are you using in Spain, and how far down in Spain is your house,:thumb:

Mel:winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back