Huisinis beach (1 Viewer)

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
When we were up on the Western Isles we were lucky to get a spot at Huisinis beach on the beautiful isle of Harris .
It's down a single track with passing places , just over 12 miles long. Through a large country estate manor.
There's just a loo and somewhere to get water. But when we were there the sun was shining and it was red hot . Of course we weren't prepared for heat , just midges , cold and rain. Which miraculously we didn't get the whole time we were away!
The link below will take you to a lot more little gems too.
http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/harris/huisinis/
This is the view from the first approach in to Huisinis.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
The sea was crystal clear and the sand almost white. Making the water turquoise. Beautiful.
image.jpg
The rusty buoys in the meadow with the beach and our Motorhome behind.
image.jpg
This is where we camped. The loo is the little shed. It was very clean. You can't camp where it says on the link anymore( the pier) That doesn't exist it's collapsed . So where we are and a bout 4 spots on the front. Beach side of the track.
image.jpg
Lazy afternoon , we just wished we'd brought our cozzies. Though even though it was hot , the water was freezing
image.jpg

From the far end of the beach where it was rocky.

Wild camping at it's best !
We shall return........

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 24
OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
The kayak was another of the " we won't need that up there" things we didn't take.
You can guarantee, if we go again it will be more Scottish like weather.
Our new avatar selfie , is in the Hebrides not my 50th birthday Maldives trip. You can't really tell it from the pic.
It's a fantastic place to visit with the Motorhome.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
As long as it's not blowing a hoolie and you are competent there is usually good paddling in the Hebrides but please please please please please take local advice as the tide races can be fast and furious. The coastguard in Stornoway used to be brilliant and many of them are (famous) paddlers. I haven't been for four years so don't know who is there now. Daughter was at Uni at Lewes Castle and we paddled with the club as their guests.

Daughter's university question list:
Do they do the course I want?
What's the paddling like?

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Just had a like on this thread. Thanks irnbru !
It brought back lovely memories. Can't wait to go back to the Outer Hebridean islands again. Beautiful place. Though I doubt we will get wall to wall sunshine and midge free . Someone must have been looking down on us. I know Ralph could do with a nice peaceful break. Won't be long now.

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
We got back a couple of weeks ago , from another trip to the Outer Hebredise . We didn't have wall to wall sunshine this time. But it only rained at night. Plus there were no midges again. This time we went in "Pug" .
So much easier.
Here's a few pictures.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Apr 9, 2015
🇵🇹
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Every day a schoolday
Thank you again - it looks so beautiful I'm going to have to include it in our plans for next year. We were going to head up to Durness via the east coast but I think we might go via Lewis and Harris now :) Our trip is planned for June so will take cozzies and midge repellant ..... and waterproofs just in case :)

Deleted User
Wow, added to our places to go now, the pics from 2014, could be the Caribbean

Lin :)

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
This time we drove up to Aviemore then started the island trip on Lewis visiting the most northerly part ( But of Lewis) where the light house on the picture is . Then we went to Harris , Bernaray, North Uist , South Uist, ending up on Barra before the mainland Oban stopping off at a campsite below Glasgow that we can't remember then Moffat then Arkengarthdale , then Hawes then home ! During our trip we only stayed on a site for 4 nights ( two in Moffat , one below Glasgow ! ) The rest of the time we wild camped.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Next time you are passing Glasgow you are welcome stop on my drive.
I really need to get there especially now that the ferry fares have been reduced. Lovely photos.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Nice pics Bev brings back happy memories, can't wait to get our van seems like ages.

The campsite just below Glasgow wasn't Strathclyde park by any chance.

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
@lorger It was called Balgair Castle holiday park Ralph says.

It wasn't our sort of site really. It was alright if you like that sort of thing it had all the facilities pool , plus a bar and a bistro. There were statics on site too.
But I wanted to wash and condition my hair. This sort of place usually have good clean facilities. And it did.
I can do this in Pug, of course, but as I only do the deed weekly and it's really thick and quite long, I'd rather have a big cubicle and continuous hot water. We did have some pretty good haggis neeps and tatties in the bistro.
It was a lovely sunny weekend and full of grandparents and grandkids ! :Eeek: We got there tea time and left at 11am.
image.jpeg

You won't regret getting a PVC. We love ours. Ralph's finished everything now. We just need to sort the cab carpet out .
He will be doing a final post and costings list on his build thread very soon. http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/rb-panel-van-conversion-begins.100614/
Our next trip is out with the funsters to Whitby Goth. Next weekend.
Very much looking forward to that. Practice makeup day tomorrow. And getting all the clothes together from the attic !

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Oops that's me posting wrong . It's above not below.
We called In to see Ralph's uncle in Kirkintilloch . We haven't seen him for 22 years! Last time I was pregnant with our eldest .
We just knocked on the door to surprise them. He was on his way out to a meeting , but we had half hour with him .
It's weird they are so much alike. Except Bobby is in his late 70's and Ralph is 49!
His aunty was having her hair cut by his cousin and her hubby and kids were there too. So it was lovely to catch up. Eat cake and biscuits ....
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2011
Worcester
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Ralph and his uncle look very much alike like you say, thanks for all the posting you do really like them all. john

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back