Huh.....what was that. (1 Viewer)

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
If you replace this lovely dog with Georgie girl it just about sums up what she was like...….
Grd dog.jpg

20180323_232154 (1).jpg
20180312_163214.jpg

@ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
You are burning logs. Isn't that illegal now, are you trying to kill us all.

Illegal? Not to our knowledge & I'm not quite sure what you mean about "kill us all", please enlighten me?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Ha ha, our dog goes mad at the doorbell, even if on TV. Ignores dogs on TV though.

Log burner thing is probably a (humorous) reference to recent press reports on limiting use of log burners in built up areas due to particulates. Wouldn’t worry in Ayrshire.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Illegal? Not to our knowledge & I'm not quite sure what you mean about "kill us all", please enlighten me?

It was on FUN in the last week or so, so it must be true, some law being framed to ban log burners because they cause 10,000 times more particulates than a cross channel ferry.

Broken Link Removed

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
It was on FUN in the last week or so, so it must be true, some law being framed to ban log burners because they cause 10,000 times more particulates than a cross channel ferry.

Only issue I could see is if we lived in a smokeless zone, which we don't, we are in the conservation area of our village but, log burners are perfectly legal. :smiley:

As for the particulates I cant pretend to give a toss, smokers have polluted the lungs of innocent bystanders for centuries & if its good enough for those social pyuria's then tis good enough for me. :imoutahere:

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Our cats are like that.
Oblivious to everything ,except the foil on Chicky biscuits which they go loopy chasing a screwed up ball of it .
And opening the cupboard where their food is.
Is like the TV add for cat treats:)

OP
OP
Mrsambulancekidd
May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
Our cats are like that.
Oblivious to everything ,except the foil on Chicky biscuits which they go loopy chasing a screwed up ball of it .
And opening the cupboard where their food is.
Is like the TV add for cat treats:)
Our cat is a master of mugging us for a treat, in fact he often leads the charge ahead of the dogs at treat time...:giggler:

Robmac

Free Member
Jun 13, 2012
Wyboston, Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Renault Master self build
Exp
On second van now since 2012
Our Boxer, Ruby would dearly love to kill the postman, well any visitors really but especially the postman.

She is 9 now though and showing her age, sadly she has just developed ulcers in both eyes (Boxers are prone to this) and it is making her very miserable.

We are visiting Applecross in a couple of weeks, she absolutely loves Sand Bay in the winter when she can have the whole beach to herself. I fear that this may be her last visit though.

OP
OP
Mrsambulancekidd
May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
Our Boxer, Ruby would dearly love to kill the postman, well any visitors really but especially the postman.

She is 9 now though and showing her age, sadly she has just developed ulcers in both eyes (Boxers are prone to this) and it is making her very miserable.

We are visiting Applecross in a couple of weeks, she absolutely loves Sand Bay in the winter when she can have the whole beach to herself. I fear that this may be her last visit though.
When you can see a count down it is so hard, but she has been a lucky girl sharing her life with you......Gemma was allowed to eat chocolate on her last trip to our vets, she was full to the brim with treats.
We are lucky because our pets are not afraid of the vet we use now.

Robmac

Free Member
Jun 13, 2012
Wyboston, Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
When you can see a count down it is so hard, but she has been a lucky girl sharing her life with you......Gemma was allowed to eat chocolate on her last trip to our vets, she was full to the brim with treats.
We are lucky because our pets are not afraid of the vet we use now.

Thank you.

It's really hard because she still likes to go on a short walk and gets excited when her lead is brought out, and she still loves eating. When she is not distracted though, the pain sets in and she just sits with her head bowed all day and it's heartbreaking. We will continue with the treatment though and hopefully she will improve, but the vet said it can be a very long job with Boxers, and at her age....

If and when the time comes though, we plan to do the same, chocolate, biscuits or whatever else she enjoys that is deemed bad for her - no limits.

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012

Just thought I'd let you know that Lady our first Boxer went on till she was thirteen and a half even though she had a stroke at nine.
Bruce our male boxer, who we got when Lady was ten, had to be put down at twelve and a half as he developed a brain tumour.
Not sure what the record age is for a boxer but our two did very well.

Robmac

Free Member
Jun 13, 2012
Wyboston, Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Just thought I'd let you know that Lady our first Boxer went on till she was thirteen and a half even though she had a stroke at nine.
Bruce our male boxer, who we got when Lady was ten, had to be put down at twelve and a half as he developed a brain tumour.
Not sure what the record age is for a boxer but our two did very well.

Thanks for that.

I think officially they live to between 10 and 12 years usually. She has had other health issues though so we just don't know with Ruby. If the pain and distress gets any worse though we will have to make the dreaded decision.

Our last dog Sapphy (Weimaraner who expect a similar lifespan to a Boxer), lived to be 14 so you just never know.

Robmac

Free Member
Jun 13, 2012
Wyboston, Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp

Quick update on this....

We have had to cancel our trip to Applecross as we considered Ruby too ill to travel up there and getting sand in her eyes on the beach would be too big a risk.

However, the vet had asked us to bathe her eyes in a weak solution of salt water daily (we had been doing this anyway), he also mentioned that another Boxer he had been treating with the same condition for 6 months, had gone into the sea on holiday and the water seemed to have caused a lot of improvement.

This in mind, we looked up how much salt we would have to add to match the sea water and have been using this (much stronger) solution for the past week. The effect has been dramatic. One of her eyes is now bright red (she looks like a devil dog) but the vets says this is a good sign of healing. More importantly, her whole demeanour has now changed. Instead of sitting with her head bowed all day long, she is pretty much back to normal, bounding around, rolling and generally showing off. She is just like her old self again and we couldn't be happier.

Of course it could be the eye drops and antibiotics which have caused the change, but the vet was very surprised at the improvement and he too believes it was the brine.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
I have suffered with eye ulcers for many years and I can assure you they are very, very painful so I am not at all surprised that your dog has been sitting with her head bowed.
Treatment usually involves aciclovir ointment (anti-virus) and steroid drops. I would assume the vet has prescribed something similar.
When the ulcer heals it leaves scar tissue on the cornea which can cause vision issues. My right eye has had so many ulcers that the cornea surface is very uneven and the vision in that eye is totally blurred - its like looking through a bathroom window. Your poor dog may suffer something similar.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.

Broken Link Removed
Won’t it be difficult to get a cross Chanel ferry in that logburner?(n)

Robmac

Free Member
Jun 13, 2012
Wyboston, Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
I have suffered with eye ulcers for many years and I can assure you they are very, very painful so I am not at all surprised that your dog has been sitting with her head bowed.
Treatment usually involves aciclovir ointment (anti-virus) and steroid drops. I would assume the vet has prescribed something similar.
When the ulcer heals it leaves scar tissue on the cornea which can cause vision issues. My right eye has had so many ulcers that the cornea surface is very uneven and the vision in that eye is totally blurred - its like looking through a bathroom window. Your poor dog may suffer something similar.

Yes the vet did say that it was very painful. He is going to review the situation next monday and may prescribe the steroids then.

So good to see her cheered up though.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
there should be a tailing off of the medication rather than stop suddenly. It goes something like 4 times/day for 2 weeks, then 3 times/day for a week, then 2 then 1. You get the idea.
Its a few years now since I had an ulcer as I take Aciclovir tablets every day to stop them recurring. Fingers crossed its worked so far.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
image.jpg
It doesn’t matter how quietly (even resorting to a scalpel) my husband opens a packet of crisps, little Hattie hears it and quickly slinks off to watch! Hopefully!m

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I have to go to work everyday just so I can enjoy a sandwich for my lunch without having to share it (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back