Hudl GPS (1 Viewer)

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
I know the topic of using a tablet for satnav has been discussed exhaustively elsewhere. However, there is a side issue which may be worth raising. Like other people we have bought a Hudl (reduced to £99 and then double up Tesco vouchers) as a cheap option to run Co-Pilot. Co-Pilot seems fine BUT I have a major issue with GPS on the Hudl. Compared to a dedicated satnav or Navfree on a Galaxy Note, the Hudl is very,very slow to lock on to satellites. Also, it seems to drop the connection pretty regularly and struggles to reconnect. On phoning Tesco Tech Support they pretty quickly admitted that GPS on the Hudl was not really up to the job for satnav.
I have loaded an android GPS test app on to the Hudl and my 10.1 Note and the speed with which a lock is established and the number of satellites detected is very significantly different.
The Hudl is going back to Tesco tomorrow.

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
2013 version for £250

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
tony_g
Aug 29, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
er yes... I've got a Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition but I wanted a cheap fix for a broken and frankly disappointing Snooper satnav.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Strange that.

Sygic works faultlessly on our Hudl.

It get us where we want to go, home and abroad.

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
er yes... I've got a Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition but I wanted a cheap fix for a broken and frankly disappointing Snooper satnav.
Im afraid there is non apart from a dedicated sat nav
mobiles & tablets will have a tendancy to get overloaded & crash & so does a sat nav.

OP
OP
tony_g
Aug 29, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
Strange that.

Sygic works faultlessly on our Hudl.

It get us where we want to go, home and abroad.

It's not the software. Co-Pilot works fine when the Hudl is connected to GPS. It is the reliability of the GPS connection which is the issue and the Tesco Tech Support admit the Hudl is not really up to spec.

OP
OP
tony_g
Aug 29, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
Im afraid there is non apart from a dedicated sat nav
mobiles & tablets will have a tendancy to get overloaded & crash & so does a sat nav.

Can't really agree. Navfree took us round Morocco and New Zealand faultlessly on an original Galaxy Note v.1.0

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
Hudl as gps works fine for me. Big issue is getting lock on satellites to begin with. I have loaded program called "GPS Test " by Chartcross. Using this program gets lock on satellites, I then open the navigation program OsmAnd which then works fine, if I dont use GPS test first its difficult to get lock on the satellites. OsmAnd is free if you want to try it, but you can only download a few maps. Paid for version is less than a fiver ( i think) and you can download as much as you like. So to sum up Hudl works for me.

OP
OP
tony_g
Aug 29, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
Have already tried GPS Test. Has no effect on the Hudl locking on. As far as I can see, the app simply detects what the devices gps is 'seeing'. As a comparison, GPS Test shows my MkI Galaxy Note detecting 8-15 satellites within moments and first lock on achieved within 6-12 seconds. My 10.1 Galaxy Note tablet very similar. The Hudl might detect 3-5 satellites in a couple of minutes and might achieve lock on or not.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
In fairness the Hudl GPS is really only for location purposes for the various Android apps, for which mine runs fine. That said I've experimented with different satnav apps and think the problem is more to do with the app than the GPS. Don't think any of the freebies are much use compared to a "proper" satnav, but the Hudl is ok as a backup.
Still prefer AutoRoute on a notebook/laptop though.

OP
OP
tony_g
Aug 29, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
In fairness the Hudl GPS is really only for location purposes for the various Android apps, for which mine runs fine. That said I've experimented with different satnav apps and think the problem is more to do with the app than the GPS. Don't think any of the freebies are much use compared to a "proper" satnav, but the Hudl is ok as a backup.
Still prefer AutoRoute on a notebook/laptop though.

I think you are right about the gps capability of the Hudl. In fact, Tesco Tech Support implied as much when I gave them a call. However, I don't think you can blame the app (which is not a freebie btw). Co-Pilot is well regarded and works well on other tablets. Fwiw, Navfree (yes it is free) worked faultlessly on my Samsung phone and tablet in NZ and Morocco. As for 'proper' satnav, you've obviously never had a Snooper! Mind you, even our old Garmin had its moments. :):):)

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I'll admit to being a bit of a fuddy-duddy when it comes to new-fangled gizmos. I'm a dedicated microsoft man (waits for brickbats;)) and only started on Android with the Hudl. I'm not into the nuts and bolts of different systems and all I want is for the machine to do what I want so dealing with something unfamiliar means I rapidly lose the will etc. So I suppose it is probably me rather than the apps. I've got Navfree and do play about with it when we're out and about but as I'm usually driving toh won't bother with it.

As for "proper" satnavs, I've been using a Garmin nuvi 200 since they came out, and it's never let me down (yet!).

Give me good old paper maps any day!(y)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The Hudl is going back to Tesco tomorrow.

I run co-pilot on my Motorola phone on the bike and an Acer 7" tablet, cheap off Argos. Both function perfectly.

The tablet was mounted just in front of the radio and worked a treat even with the Luton overhang.

As a matter of interest, Maps With Me works with the GPS just to give you a position fix. Was useful on a push bike in Morocco where there is no co-pilot maps.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Give me good old paper maps any day!(y)

They never run out of battery !

But on a bike or the last few miles in a city, that's where really GPS scores. Co-pilot got us to a hotel in the middle of Bruges that we'd never have found any other way.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back