Hub Caps and Wheel Trims - what's the point? (1 Viewer)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Love my van but it has stainless wheel trims that rattle - they came with the van but the noise, especially when running against a wall is annoying.
This trip I decided to take them off to discover one had disappeared on the way any way. Now do I spend a hundred quid on a new set and keep the 3 as spares - cos you know I will lose another or just paint the steel wheels.
After taking off the trims, the wheels have rusted a bit but the rears show signs of oil/grease from the hubs - not serious but unseen because of the trims.
And if I buy a new set of stainless trims will they rattle anyway?

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Love my van but it has stainless wheel trims that rattle - they came with the van but the noise, especially when running against a wall is annoying.
This trip I decided to take them off to discover one had disappeared on the way any way. Now do I spend a hundred quid on a new set and keep the 3 as spares - cos you know I will lose another or just paint the steel wheels.
After taking off the trims, the wheels have rusted a bit but the rears show signs of oil/grease from the hubs - not serious but unseen because of the trims.
Buy a new set, you know it makes sense .:unsure:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Get plastic ones, cheaper and dont rattle. Many years ago I put plastic ones on a kontiki, they were plain white with no pretence of being metal and looked quite nice.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Cracking first world problem for my list.....thanks (y)

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
Buy a new set and keep the existing 3 as spares.
Think of them as clothing that hide the not so nice bits!

One of my concerns was that the two rear wheels showed some leakage of grease from the hubs.
All the wheels themselves were rusting and that the wheel nuts and hubs are hidden from view.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Put some Stainless trims on that don’t rattle 👍 look better than alloys and don’t corrode.

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
Shouldn't see any grease from the hub.

Yes - seemed old but I'll get them checked

Isn't that downside of having hubcaps - you don't see the wheelnuts and hubs?

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
One of my concerns was that the two rear wheels showed some leakage of grease from the hubs.
All the wheels themselves were rusting and that the wheel nuts and hubs are hidden from view.
If you took them off & washed & polished the wheels each week you could check on them. (y)

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
You could of course take each wheel off, remove the tyres and get them powder coated. This should look really good afterwards and with no cap to fall off. I have never done it but it sounds plausible.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You could of course take each wheel off, remove the tyres and get them powder coated. This should look really good afterwards and with no cap to fall off. I have never done it but it sounds plausible.
They would just look like powder coated wheels though, can’t beat a bit of bling,

A100E5EC-C79D-4DF2-BB5D-A1351EF68125.jpeg

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back