Free Member
Sep 14, 2015
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 740
Exp
1 year (getting a bit experienced now)
Hi all a stupid question from a newbie planning a trip to France in April regarding mifi. We currently have a Huawei E5332 (3G) unlocked mifi device with a mag mount external aerial. Have used it in UK and all works well, very pleased with it using '3' pre paid data sims. We just switch it on, connect up and away we go all very easy.

My daft questions are when we are in France:
1. Will it work the same as UK or will I need to make any changes to the mifi settings when I switch on.
2. Will the three pre paid data SIM's be using the 'feel at home' rates or is that just for phone SIMS.
(y)

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
My Huawei mifi works on the same settings in UK and France. I believe that you must use a mobile data SIM in a mifi and not a phone SIM. However, a '3' phone SIM will continue to work in your phone on 'feel at home' whilst in France.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi Tweedie,
Yes I use mine no problem in France, but I think that you can't start a new data sim when over there , I think they need to be started in UK but could be wrong, as I usually only need 1gb of data & only go over there for 3 weeks at a time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Your MIFI will only work in France if you have turned on Data Roaming turned on
The easiest way to do this is using the Huwei app on a smartphone
Once turned on, your Three Sim Card will operate the same as it does in the UK .

OP
OP
Tweedie

Tweedie

Free Member
Sep 14, 2015
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 740
Exp
1 year (getting a bit experienced now)
Thanks for that Robert I did wonder if you would need to turn on data roaming on a mifi as you would do with a mobile phone.(y)

p.s. We enjoy reading about your travels, very inspiring for our future trips (we were parked next to you at Vanbitz last September and shared a lift into town)

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
As for topping up in France, sometimes you can, sometimes you can't! I had a problem trying to activate an "Add on" I had already purchased (top up) last July, it just wouldn't have it, by the the time it activated I didn't need it as I was back in UK.

Complained to Three and the reinstated me with an unexpiring top up but also informed me to trying going to:-

www.three.co.uk/topup And click on new web top up

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back