HPI Mileage discrepancy ? (1 Viewer)

Jul 8, 2021
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
IH Oregon
Exp
1yr
Picking up my van on Wednesday, very excited, only deposit paid so did a HPI Check, its a well respected dealer so hadn't done so before now.

Its all good with the one alert of "possible mileage discrepancy", now Ive been through the MOT history and other than every low milage everything seems to go up each year as one would expect and no obvious errors etc.

The only thing I can assume is for the last 4-5yrs the annual milage has been 100-200 miles ONLY !? Now its a motorhome, that I'm told was owned by an older gent that's now got health issues and thus sold.

Should I be concerned, the clock shows 33k for a 2005, and like I say for the last few years it appears to have hardly moved much!? Is the alert just due to the low miles used? Or something else?

TIA

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
I looked up some history on a car recently for a friend and MOT was recorded suddenly in KM rather than Miles - and back to Miles. Genuine garage mistake? Went to Ireland for one owner? Who knows?

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I think they look at averages year on year.
I bought a high mileage vehicle a few years back.

The original owner was a Scottish laird, who I think had only put about 5k miles on it in 2 years.
The next owner put on 20K per year for 5 years.
I then got it and typically put on 5-7k per year for 12 years.

I also replaced the engine and speedo (as it had stopped working),
The new 2nd hand speedo had a mileage that was slightly higher, but it meant officially MOT to MOT it only did about 500 miles that year.

Bottom line is by the time I sold it after 12 years of ownership the mileage was about right for a vehicle of it's age.
However when you look at the MOT history on line, it would appear year on year the miles were 'wrong' and it looks like it's been 'clocked' several times.

I suspect some of the 'clocking' incidents are simply that the person typing in the miles on the MOT got a figure wrong as the following year the figures are where they should be

I also think that in some cases they selected the 'KM' field to fill in and not the 'miles' field.
Hence the mileage jumps up and down in some years.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

RM_Marine

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2021
Poole, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Since 2021
Picking up my van on Wednesday, very excited, only deposit paid so did a HPI Check, its a well respected dealer so hadn't done so before now.

Its all good with the one alert of "possible mileage discrepancy", now Ive been through the MOT history and other than every low milage everything seems to go up each year as one would expect and no obvious errors etc.

The only thing I can assume is for the last 4-5yrs the annual milage has been 100-200 miles ONLY !? Now its a motorhome, that I'm told was owned by an older gent that's now got health issues and thus sold.

Should I be concerned, the clock shows 33k for a 2005, and like I say for the last few years it appears to have hardly moved much!? Is the alert just due to the low miles used? Or something else?

TIA
My 2014 autotrail apache 700 had only done 140 miles in three years and 6980miles in 7 years

The wife's husband had died during this and the van had been sat on the drive except to move for a service and MOT

I've put more miles on in 6 months than they did in 5years

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Check the age of the tyres ‘cos they’ve been stood still for a long time. There’s loads of threads on here on how to check the age 👍

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
My neighbour's van wasn't used at all for the whole of last year, except to go for its MOT. They're both elderly and he has been poorly. And of course lockdowns.... It was only used for a couple of trips the year before, I believe, and he said they'd been thinking of selling it, but they've owned it from new and hadn't quite reached the psychological point of letting it go at that stage I think.

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
On most post OBD2 ECUs can be interrogated and checked for mileage corrections and speedo replacements.

Ask the dealer to download the information contained and verify the speedo reading is correct.

Although personally I am not happy to buy low mileage commercial vehicles, unless stored in good dry conditions and appropriately serviced not merely and MOT and oil change.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back