How's your awning held on? (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I am about to fit a solar panel, and one of the mounting options I did consider was to a roof rack, but as I have a Fiamma awning I assumed they had used the special clamps that they make for the Ducato van, these use the existing roof rack mounting points fitted by Ducato, this then means you need to use the Fiamma roof rack which fits to the Fiamma awning mounts (Ā£500+:eek:). So I decided to simply glue the panel to the roof but after a roof inspection this morning they haven't, they have just glued it, they may have screwed into the roof as well but I can't see under the awning to ascertain this. It seems well secure and a check on the glue I can see it looks ok so I will assume its fine.

So I can now fit a more sensibly priced roof rack but seeing as I have bought all the mounts, glue ect. I think I will just glue it. I have 3D printed a double cable gland that sits on top of the roof corrugations without overhanging the sides, just waiting on Amazon to deliver some S/S screws.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I'd never rely on glue alone, lots of people do I know, but a small amount come off. Put a couple of fixings in each side and you know it's going nowhere. šŸ‘Œ

Just my opinion šŸ˜Š

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Neither would I but thats old school, it was fitted by the dealers so a risky assumption is, they knew what they were doing. :unsure:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 9, 2019
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 632
Exp
Since Sept 2019
I used sikaflex to glue our three solar panels to the roof, I cleaned the roof thoroughly first with a solvent based cleaner. Not had any problems, they are still stuck to the roof like S**t to blankets!!

Cheers,

Russ

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
Have I read that right that your Fiamma awning is just glued to your roof?

On my ducato pvc I picked up another set of awning mounts and made a mount for my solar panel between the mounts on either side of the roof

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Just had a better look up the ladder from the awning side and I can see 2 screws in each bracket, so they have screwed it into the roof, so no worries about coming off, but why didn't they use the Ducato roof rack mounting points?

Mar 1, 2021
Bury st edmunds , suffolk
Funster No
MH
N+b arto
Exp
Ive just bought an air awning for my arto 3.9mtrs long very good quality cost Ā£1400

Here we go i have a fammia old awning was going to replace it but the cost of awning and sides was very expensive. And I do like the idea of drive away so I can pop to the shop

Very happy 1 issue I fed the top thought the fammia fron slot it was very tight and straight away new I was not driving away . All not lost I also has 3 straps that can go over the van and peg down other side that is a easy drive away system

Comments very please made right choice .only faults I can say is for the price the tent pegs are rubbish so had to get on to amazon . Quality is amazing thick hard wearing materials good quality air values why oh why did they let themselves down with pegs
You blow it up and you love it .it looks and feel a top job the on your knees first peg it definitely a wtf moment great idea will photo I morning perched from Norwich caravan and leasure air struts are covered in two layers of hard wearing material but can be opened and repaired with bike puncher kit .that was something I check as I didn't want to loose all that money if I got a puncher .

Griff097

LIFE MEMBER
May 19, 2021
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
I doubt a Fiamma wind out canopy is just glued on, they are very heavy, I would expect there to be bolts through the wall or roof and the sealant/silcaflex is there to prevent water ingress.

Jun 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 500
I am about to fit a solar panel, and one of the mounting options I did consider was to a roof rack, but as I have a Fiamma awning I assumed they had used the special clamps that they make for the Ducato van, these use the existing roof rack mounting points fitted by Ducato, this then means you need to use the Fiamma roof rack which fits to the Fiamma awning mounts (Ā£500+:eek:). So I decided to simply glue the panel to the roof but after a roof inspection this morning they haven't, they have just glued it, they may have screwed into the roof as well but I can't see under the awning to ascertain this. It seems well secure and a check on the glue I can see it looks ok so I will assume its fine.

So I can now fit a more sensibly priced roof rack but seeing as I have bought all the mounts, glue ect. I think I will just glue it. I have 3D printed a double cable gland that sits on top of the roof corrugations without overhanging the sides, just waiting on Amazon to deliver some S/S screws.
This is what I want to do, assuming the whole thing doesn't collapse when I take the damp stuff off haha

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Just had a better look up the ladder from the awning side and I can see 2 screws in each bracket, so they have screwed it into the roof, so no worries about coming off, but why didn't they use the Ducato roof rack mounting points?

That's bad practice. Should have used the correct Fiamma brackets that bolt to the Ducato roof rack mounting points. No need to drill holes in the roof panel. (n)

Jun 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 500
IMG_20210604_113407.jpg
i have three if these holding mine up. Here's hoping it was done right. I'm assuming you should have similar brackets on yours

Attachments

• IMG_20210604_113417.jpg
    IMG_20210604_113417.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 6

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
i have three if these holding mine up. Here's hoping it was done right. I'm assuming you should have similar brackets on yours

Those are the standard brackets that come with the awnings. For slab sides.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back