How were you bitten by the bug?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Digger Driver, Oct 6, 2007.

1. Digger Driver

Digger Driver

Ratings:
    +2
    Motorhoming that is!

For myself, i had a Kiwi flatmate with a 1972 VW combi.
    He said to me one day "How do you fancy a Month around Europe"
    I ended up doing the Aussie/Kiwi van trip around Europe and loved every minit!
    I was hooked ever since!
    Luckily i have an occupation that made it easy for me to buy a camper and work anywhere!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2007
  2. theboadacea

theboadacea

Ratings:
    +1
    Friends of ours did a year long tour of Europe and we flew out to see them twice in Spain and Portugal. Became addicted! When they came home and bought a 5th Wheel to live in we then became even greener with envy at the relaxed way of life and decided to go for it.

Good thing was that I was being made redundant (voluntarily) so we just sold the house and went. ::bigsmile:

Absolutely no regrets and we are now starting our 4th year. We are both working this entire year as we want to upgrade the van to an RV - bummer, but hey ho, we are still in a chilled way of life. ::bigsmile:

EDIT: Incidentally, their tour was in a VW Camper .. was a little cramped with 4 of us in it (we took a tent) but it was so so so relaxing. VW's have that effect on me I think!

3. pilote

pilote

Ratings:
    +0
    How you were you bitten by bug

We got fed up of Hotel,s not taking Dogs & charging the earth if they did,So that was IT,Also being a Truck Driver I liked driving So that as it:Smile:

4. zaskar

zaskar Funster

Ratings:
    +122
    .......inherited from my father.
    Started (my father that is) in 1968 when I was 4 with a Bedford CA Dormobile Romany.
    Ah, the joy of those roof top bunks and waking up with a sopping wet through sleeping bag cos of all the condensation off the canvass lift up roof!

5. Chugalug

Chugalug Deleted User

Ratings:
    +0
    The B&B's and hotel's did it for me!
    Definitions they use :
    The room has a sea-view - only if you stand on a chair and peer through a tiny hole in the wall.

Ensuite - a shower so small you can't bend down to pick up the soap or you cant close the door without amputating something.

Comfortable accomodation - lumpy-bumpy matress and too few pillows.

Gourmet menu - the owner experiments with cooking and it all tastes terrible.

Luxury features - little bottles of dishwashing liquid and funny cream in tiny bottles labelled shampoo, body lotion and shower gel. Don't you hate them?

6. wildcamper

wildcamper

Ratings:
    +3
    Don't know how we got the bug, it's just kinda natural, my parents had a camper when I was younger & Dawns were tuggers, so both been campers since we were in nappies, guess its in the blood but were still learning:Doh: