How Was It For You?! NEC Show (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Frantic busy day at NEC - so many people! No Funsters with badges :( Not as good as last year so far but more to see today - trying to negotiate Funster discounts!

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
We were caught on the payload issue as previously written. Eventually had to get it uprated from 3650 to 3850 so that we could actually travel and not worry about what we put in. It was either that or leave Mrs Deluxe at home........

T

Tackle man

Deleted User
Another moan!

Why can't we buy a continental low profile WITHOUT a bloody pull down over lounge double???

I got fed up of hitting my head on the damn things!
You can!
I ordered my Hymer Exsis I 688 and had the option of front lockers instead if a bed. Works for us very well. (y)
image.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Another moan!

Why can't we buy a continental low profile WITHOUT a bloody pull down over lounge double???

I got fed up of hitting my head on the damn things!
Nearly all the low profiles seemed to have pull down beds & higher prices this year! Did find one without it though - Benimar currently exclusive to Marquis. Benimar built in Spain are now part of Trigano group so very like popular Chaussons of last year (although more expensive) but aimed at the UK market with door on UK side, microwave, oven, hob with 2 gas & 1 electric, spare wheel & lots of other nice touches - Broken Link Removed. Liked the Benimar Mileo 201 as similiar to our Chausson Best Of 04 with a transverse bed over a large garage. Didn't like the white/cream worktops & tables on these & lots of others this year though as likely to stain easily so not very practical. Like the option above of extra lockers instead of the pull down - great idea :)

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Benimar does have higher hp engine options at extra cost but everything should be negotiable with dealer :) Didn't have time to look in detail at Benimar so don't know how good its spec is overall or what Marquis are like as a dealer but good to know that there is another manufacturer now available to the UK market giving more choice. Think it was the only coachbuilt with door on the UK side too which some might prefer. The transverse bed over large garage in a compact 5.99m motorhome was very popular last year by Chausson & sold out at the show so for those looking for this layout it might be another one to consider.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
As I started this thread & over 4000 views thought I'd better give some feedback too!
Most interesting:
E & P Hydraulics
slide outs - UK company importing US slide out mechanisms, trying to improve on their seal design & market them to European manufacturers. Hopefully got some of the trade visitors to the show thinking... E & P are best known for their levelling systems fitted to Explorer Bucanneer caravans & some high end motorhomes. Currently only IH van conversion & Moto Trek coachbuilt have slide outs but hopefully more might be on the way.
MCEA - independent well qualified mobile caravan & motorhome engineers that undertake warranty work for manufacturers & cover most of UK. May be a good contact to have when away as they cover most of the UK or as an option for servicing & repairs - will post a seperate thread to see how Funsters rate them.
Benimar - exclusive to Marquis & part of Trigano group with interior similiar to Chausson so European style coachbuilt but with UK specification including hab door on UK side, oven etc previously mentioned in posts above.
Mirror Guard - got to compare their patented design, one from Milenco & Active Design Solutions & Mirror Guard won hands down for product quality.
Trip Buddy - cute bespoke futuristic small caravan but no opening windows & security issues although good to see innovation.
Campereve - exclusive to Highbridge Caravans & offers an extra option in the van conversion market especially 6m & under. Don't let the name put you off as Highbridge now stock a good range of new motorhomes from Chausson, Hymer, Rapido, Swift & more plus used motorhomes too.
Rapido - van conversions were well priced with quality feel & clever wardrobe in the shower design in V55 model that swings out into the bedroom area.
Burstner - clever moving sink wall/shower design making a small bathroom much more useable & impressed by their well though out practical layouts, design & build quality.
Disappointing:
Itineo - cheaper A Class range by Rapido & lacked expected quality feel reinforcing that you do get what you pay for:(
Chausson - their USP this year was offering the choice of either Fiat or the new Ford Transit chassis & perhaps that is why the layouts seemed poorly thought out. Last year with the 10 year shell warranty (only 5 years this time:() , best show prices for low profile coachbuilts, great layouts & the Best Of range fully loaded with extras as standard they were inundated but much less busy this time. Glad we bought last year as the prices have gone up considerably too & not keen on the drop down bed (reducing headroom) in most models.
Prices - they seemed much higher than last year so not much under £42,000 & seemed to be less show offers varying in value from as low as £500 to £1500.
Khyam - clever frame design but surprised at the lightweight fabric as thought it would be a bit better for the price.
Moto Trek - no sign of their second design slide out coachbuilt that was meant to be launched there.
Caraviseo - prototype futuristic caravan built like a yacht but cordoned off & no information so couldn't see what all the fuss was about & very stressed minder just trying to stop people climbing under the barrier to look closer!
Busiest:
Snowdonia Cheese - yummy flavoured cheese to taste (pickled onion & berry types were my favourite two) & selling like hotcakes. Might buy some online as ideal for Xmas :)
Rimor - lot of motorhome for your money especially for the family market.
Doggy Bags - may have been expensive but lots of happy customers queuing up http://www.microfibrestore.co.uk/petcare.html
Van conversions - more there than last time & busiest area.
Air awnings - dominated every awning manufacturers stand & lots being bought. Almost convinced to buy one by Vango but will wait for their 2015 models as will have 2 doors in driveaway link so makes it more useable space.
Mr D's Thermal Cooker - tempted as they had the bags with straps to secure the lid down (oos at Malvern) but didn't buy as would prefer one with a lid that locked for cooking on the move.
Offers:
CAK Tanks
free delivery see http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum...sure-lines-free-delivery-over-£20-code.94936/
Safeguard 25% off see http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum...25-discount-code-until-30th-april-2015.94939/
Highbridge Caravans - 20% off some of their accessories online now with show code SHOW15 . Tried to talk them into offering us special Funster discount especially on servicing, repairs & motorhome sales...
Motor Caravanners Club membership only £25 at the show - was £30 last year. Joined to give us a wider choice of rallies in our area but Fun rallies will still be our first choice:love:

T

Tackle man

Deleted User
Mr D's Thermal Cooker - tempted as they had the bags with straps to secure the lid down (oos at Malvern) but didn't buy as would prefer one with a lid that locked for cooking on the move.
We bought or Mr D's thermal cooker 3 years ago at the western show in Malvern.
Our lid does have a lock down as well as the cover with the strap. The cover and strap is only for ease of transporting.
We love our Mr D! Meals are prepared before going out and ready a few hours later. The only power used is in the preparation on the hob for max 15 minutes. There is no more power used after this as the food cooks in its own heat. Simples!
(y)

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Perhaps their current stock is different? The lady on the stand did say that it could vent & lose heat when travelling along without the tight cover with the strap fixed on but perhaps it isn't necessarily an issue & she just wanted to sell more covers:)

T

Tackle man

Deleted User
Perhaps their current stock is different? The lady on the stand did say that it could vent & lose heat when travelling along without the tight cover with the strap fixed on but perhaps it isn't necessarily an issue & she just wanted to sell more covers:)
Why would their current stock be different? Mr D's Thermal Pot is Mr D's Thermal Pot. I don't understand the seller's pitch.
These pots are used by boat enthusiasts among others.
Perhaps a third party was in on the act and trying to flog a few!
I know Dave Knowles and his wife Jen', they wouldn't say something like that.
Have a look at Mr D's you tube film.
I tried to put the link here but couldn't do it. :)

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
When I read a post that mentioned Mr D's Thermal Cooker I Googled his web site & its clear some ARE designed to cook whilst on the move

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
I find it very disappointing when you ask a question and the sales people don't know the answer.

Without naming names there was quite a nice van there about £175,000.00 so I asked about the outside service locker etc.

Nice lady said this is where you fill the water, NO that's the Alde heating exhaust I said, oh this is it in here NO that is the Diesel tank, OK I will get somebody else, well he didn't know much either.

Not impressed.

This is now a fact of modern life. With the existence of forums like these, and many other internet based sources of information, if you have put in a bit of effort before you go to buy something (not just a MH), you will almost inevitably know 100 times more than the seller.
To the extent that you have to keep the lid on when they tell you all manner of crap about their product.
It's really annoying. :mad:

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
On the Marquis stand we mentioned to the salesman that the Benimar motorhomes were part of the Trigano group so similiar inside to our Chausson & he told us adamantly that they weren't - a few minutes later I glanced inside the brochure & the first sentence stated their link to Trigano! Poor show when the sales staff can't even read the first sentence in the brochure for the product that they are selling :( Talking to other visitors at the show it was clear that quite a few sales people lacked basic knowledge. Perhaps dealers should offer temporary jobs at the shows to their customers who have experience as motorhomers & who know the market rather than employ inexperienced youngsters! Would have thought those with a genuine enthusiasm for motorhoming & liking for the product range would convince more potential customers to buy(y)

Last edited:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Which is where the Pilote stand fell short in merely handing me a brochure for the nearest dealer instead of telling me they were actually manning the stand. (n)

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
We bought a Mr D s at Malvern this year, it definitely has a lid which locks, they were hoping to be selling a bag, which doesn't aid or hamper the cooking qualities just makes it easier to transport.

So think there may have been some misunderstanding there.

We also thinks it brilliant.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Just to clarify - we think the thermal cooker is a great idea & it's clear from Mousy that it does work well which is good to know (y) The lady on the stand was very professional & kind enough to take time to discuss the product in depth with us both at the Malvern show & at the NEC. A couple before us at Malvern were singing the praises about the cooker but giving feedback saying that the catch did sometimes come open & the lady offered the cover with strap as a solution. Having overheard them we then put our scenario to her of travelling along in the motorhome with it in a trug in the garage & that we were also concerned that although it has a catch there was no additional lock & again she suggested the cover with a strap but they had no stock. She also said that Thermos used to make a thermal cooker with a locking lid but they were unable to import them from the USA as they couldn't find a supplier. We made a point of looking at the thermal cooker again at the NEC & were pleased to see that they now had stock of the covers with straps (mentioned it on here to help anyone that might want these) but as we currently are only able to do shortish breaks to wait & see if another model came out at a later date with a locking lid. Again as Mousy has said that theirs is fine without the cover & strap perhaps it isn't much of an issue anyway. Maybe the couple at Malvern just had a worn catch - who knows - we just didn't want a garage coated in stew!

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
For anyone that might be considering the Benimar range - just read that Marquis sold a huge amount of them at the NEC - another thing that they have in common with last years Chausson range:) Love our Chausson & didn't see any one model that would make us want to change but have to admit that some of the UK spec extras on the Benimars would be nice. These include microwave, oven , door on UK side, better step design for raised bed, reversing camera already fitted & my favourite a recessed well in the garage with a spare wheel(y) Not cheap though (none were this year :() & don't know if as good construction wise as the Chausson but does look like they have got their layouts right.

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
We went to the show so we could see the new Bailey 730 with the fixed "Island bed" not impressed as there is not enough space at the rea to actually get into bed !!
I require a decent space as I cannot bend my right leg and was unable to walk around it too.
They made it approx. 9" longer than the 740 but, if they made it another 6" longer then you would have had a true "Island bed" with ease of access, so no sale here i'm afraid.
Rest of the show was not too great either , not that many stalls selling accessories and those that were in my opinion were expensive (more than at the Lincoln show in September)
My wife did get herself a hoodie for taking our dog out !! at a reasonable price.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back