How Was It For You?! NEC Show (1 Viewer)

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Went today. Overpriced side stalls. Not as many as normally there. Some nice vans on show but happy ours won't need changing yet and a chance to meet the guys from van bitz and plan the audio upgrade(y). Worth it on a rainy Wednesday but If the sun is out save your money.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
had a great day. wore our badges, but did not see any others. met some really nice people there. saw some great vans. and some really silly prices. but one or two vans that might have tempted me. but not enough money in my bank. so all we brought was some really nice plastic glasses . so I am going to have to save up all my pennies.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I got a dog bag off the internet and it was half that price. I think it's great, we put her in it after our hike and she has a snooze. I thought she'd crack up but she didn't .As Dux says you have a wet bag, but we don't have wet seats.
View attachment 44965
Tried putting Jake the cocker idiot in a similar thing this evening - not a dog bag admittedly. He didn't like it........ Clearly it works for some but not others

We have waterproof covers for the seats plus dog blankets over them. All four paws firmly on the floor until they are dry

May 6, 2010
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Exp
April 2010
We went yesterday got there 5mins before the doors opened left around 4:30 had a great day strolling round looking in the different vans and the stalls, got a couple of quotes on planned refit early next year, bought a few bits& bobs, saw one stall selling the £50 Ebay 7" truck satnavs for £299 same unit and menu screens as the one we have !!

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
We'll not be going as it's just the same old same old. More chance of 6 numbers than finding anything I didn't know I needed :LOL:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
AFAIK Monday midnight was the last chance to buy in advance.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Just for the, "Not been, don't know" people out there who were wondering about finance. My mate sat down with a caravan dealer to buy a new caravan and the Black Horse people were quoting 3% on their deals.
Don't know for how long a deal, how much etc. but just thought you might like to know

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
We did like the look, finish and price of the Cathago Van conversion. Looked head hands and feet superior to others we saw and at about the same (or lower) price as other VC's.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I went to the show yesterday. As previously said there was an abundance of interesting PVCs. There didn't appear to be as many punters as last year. Eddie (Vanbitz) looked busy....apologies Eddie, you were attending to a customer so I didn't stop to say hello. My overall impression of the vans on show was that there appears to be a design tendency towards "bling". Led strips everywhere. Unfortunately this year nothing struck me as "must have". The only fortune I parted with was for coffee and snacks:LOL: I still had a good day though(y)

Perhaps I'm just getting more miserable with age:D

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
It's all the same except lots of things more expensive.. Spotted a bike rack that is always sold at the outddor shows for £59... NEC price £75.... Lots of other bits also inflated..
It was a morning out for me and as i had a pick up at the airport next door it fitted in nice.
Really wonder if people do save much by buying new vans at these events, my view is that it's best to haggle after the show and they start hitting their really quiet period..

iceni

Free Member
Dec 3, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Lowline Coachbuilt
Exp
27yrs
Went yesterday (wed 15th)
Obvously smaller than the feb show. No boats and not so many stands re holiday locations.

we looked at van and caravans but we both agreed we didnt actually see anything we liked that we would buy. The trend of van design to a front lounge incorporating te can seats makes for a very rcamped and claustrophobic design.

We are interested in a USRV and as we know thet are accompanied viewing only. I went to look inside an RV that I liked the look of and the sales man with clipboard in hand gave us such a look of disgust and "you wont be able to afford this" that we left the stand. Theres plenty of people with customer service selling these. Little does he know.

The food was overprices so I am glad we took our own £8+ for a sandwich packet of crips and bottle of drink.

Shuttle bus driver taking us to the show was a miserable git.

The prices of some vans leaves me totally flabbergasted. A panel van conversion ableit well done was over 70K
Are they having a laugh?

The finishing of some vans left a bit to be desired. Cabinets not lining up, locker latches stiff.

The false lighting makes me laugh thi is when they put festoons of extra lighting in roof light and cupoards to make vans seem lighter and brighter than they are. Novices beware.

All in all though a good day and I saw the next 4x4 i will buy

Cheers

Phill and Ellen

iceni

Free Member
Dec 3, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Lowline Coachbuilt
Exp
27yrs
It's all the same except lots of things more expensive.. Spotted a bike rack that is always sold at the outddor shows for £59... NEC price £75.... Lots of other bits also inflated..
It was a morning out for me and as i had a pick up at the airport next door it fitted in nice.
Really wonder if people do save much by buying new vans at these events, my view is that it's best to haggle after the show and they start hitting their really quiet period..

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
We found that dealers could offer a better overall package at the show as manufacturers usually add at least £1000 accessories for the same price(y) Better again if special show edition with even more extras loaded. So if you can drill the price down (until they are nearly crying:LOL:) between the dealers, choose your preferred one to buy from & get all the extra free show goodies then get them to give you 24 hours (holding the deal) after the show to "cool down" so you can double check that it's definitely what you want & that you do have the very best price it is worthwhile! Been there, done it - great fun:) If it is just over your budget then ask about buying the show demonstrator - should be about £2000 - 3000 extra discount & all made good back to new condition so all new carpets etc (paid for by manufacturer) & can usually collect with a few weeks so no long uncertain wait.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
We're still there, just popped back to the van for a cheapskate lunch and walk the dog. Seen a nice pilote 740 with a garage that would solve our bike problem but there again it might be cheaper to fit a towbar and maybe uprate to 3700kg plus getting used to a dinette and 20k to change. I'll go and womble them and see what happens.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Final part of the cunning " screw the price down" master plan - if negotiating with them at the show doesn't work leave your number with them as if they don't hit their sales targets by close of show on Sunday then you could get a call on Monday(y) Same works for car dealers - especially at the end of the month:) If that doesn't work how about Funsters get together & get a bargain price for 2 or more from the same manufacturer?! Could start a list...

TheDentons

Free Member
Aug 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki
Exp
I'm a newbie bought our first motorhome 7months ago and love it
Hi what time do the doors open on Saturday

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
We were there yesterday, got caught in the snarl up of the M4/A34 so didn't get to the show until 1.30. Didn't bother with the new vans but there were lots on show. I don't know if it was me but I don't think there were as many side stalls, there is still a good selection though. Kampa Air had a good crowd and are showing most of the models. We didn't see anything "new" but still managed to buy a few bits that we don't need, electric kettle, awning tie down, cleaning stuff etc...Stopped by Eddie's Vanbitz and managed to buy a new Avtex TV (I know, There are £100 TV's elsewhere but I wanted one). The folding ladder man was there again, just as slick as ever. There are a few battery bikes on show although I didn't see AS bikes. I didn't see DFDS, but I probably missed them. We like the NEC show, I wish we had more time to drool over some of the new vans. If you are going and want to see everything then get there early.
Yes we noted the jam when we left the NEC in the morning. Also it was backed up for at least 10 miles

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We were considering going as we wanted to look around and see if it was worth us taking a stand next year but I cant drive at the moment after my op and Mrs Jezport wont drive that far.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Anyone see the caravan with "integral" patio? Thought that was quite neat actually, not that I wan't a caravan, just sayin!

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Anyone see the caravan with "integral" patio? Thought that was quite neat actually, not that I wan't a caravan, just sayin!

Designed by someone with a bit of Knaus:LOL: Did you see the towing car?

White M series Mercedes AMG 6.3 £107,000.00 :rofl:

Jul 13, 2011
Stoney Stanton
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2010
Not going until the weekend & wondered what those that have already been thought of it? Any new gadgets & gizmos or interesting layouts or new manufacturers? Anything that is too good to miss?:)

Not going until the weekend & wondered what those that have already been thought of it? Any new gadgets & gizmos or interesting layouts or new manufacturers? Anything that is too good to miss?:)

I went on Wednesday, thought layout was better. We went to buy a picnic chair, couldn't find what we wanted so ordered a new motorhome instead!

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Designed by someone with a bit of Knaus:LOL: Did you see the towing car?

White M series Mercedes AMG 6.3 £107,000.00 :rofl:

I'll take that!!

I went on Wednesday, thought layout was better. We went to buy a picnic chair, couldn't find what we wanted so ordered a new motorhome instead!

as you do...... we did the same thing at Peterborough earlier this year (y) Do tell what you ordered, please?

Bluemooner

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Dreamseeker Fifth Wheel
Exp
4 years
Did anybody go in a very nice motorhome (cant remember make) that had a slate effect wall with tv on it very nice

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We are going up tonight staying at a cheap travelodge deal. We tried driving up the same day last year and the traffic was terrible didn't get into the hall till 12:00! So we are less than 2 miles away tomorrow morning:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back