How to ? (1 Viewer)

S

sujole

Deleted User
Hi

Having introduced myself earlier here come the 'really stupid' questions.

1. How do you fill the water tank? We are on a water meter and a main road so difficult to attach a hose.

2. How do you dry towels etc. With the caravan you can hang them out of the window on an airer, I can't see the boys in blue allowing you to drive down the road with the family washing blowing in the wind !

3. Is it ok to empty the grey water down the drain ? While preparing ours for our first outing I emptied the tank in to a bucket (hadn't been emptied by the dealer !!!!), is this normal ?

4. Is there a recommended or can someone advise on the best type of driveaway awning for a 14 and 9 year old to be able to sleep in ?

This motorhoming lark seems to be fraught with danger. :Eeek: Still, at least I dont have to pull the caravan out of its storage space any more. :thumb:

N

N Luyetund

Deleted User
Hi

1. How do you fill the water tank? We are on a water meter and a main road so difficult to attach a hose.

I use a watering can... one that I bought for a couple of euros in France and used only for the one purpose, tedious but 3 or 4 fills is enough to serve the boiler and leave some for washing up:winky: ...then fill up if you need to, on site

2. How do you dry towels etc. With the caravan you can hang them out of the window on an airer, I can't see the boys in blue allowing you to drive down the road with the family washing blowing in the wind !
microfibre towels work for me:thumb:

Can't help with the other question but I bet someone will be able to....

Upvote 0
H

hannah29

Deleted User
Hi

3. Is it ok to empty the grey water down the drain ? While preparing ours for our first outing I emptied the tank in to a bucket (hadn't been emptied by the dealer !!!!), is this normal ?

4. Is there a recommended or can someone advise on the best type of driveaway awning for a 14 and 9 year old to be able to sleep in ?

This motorhoming lark seems to be fraught with danger. :Eeek: Still, at least I dont have to pull the caravan out of its storage space any more. :thumb:

1. we use watering cans too but tend to just fill a bit at home and the rest on site

2. we hang our towels in the bathroom as its really warm in there, either that or in the bottom of the wardrobe as the boiler sits just below so the heat rises.

3. if at home we tip it down the loo which is not very often as we tend to empty on site.

4. cant help with the awning.....sorry

hannah

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi,if you cannot use a hose,use a watering can or placy bottle to put a smll amount of water in tank then fill up on site--dry towels as you would with caravan on airer or wing mirror while stoped--empty before leaving site in apropeate drain or if pushed in the roadside gutter---Not the loo,dispose of this on site--drive away awning,pays your money and makes your choise,why not let the kids sleep in the van?:ROFLMAO:you sound half converted from a tugger to a motorhomer,:ROFLMAO:different mindset:thumb:
terry
hannah beat me to it whilst typing, hee hee

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Water, have a bit in and fill up on site.

Micro fiber towels but DO NOT USE fabric conditioner when washing them.

Grey can go down a roadside drain but not sure about the legalities of doing so, we always empty out on site.

Awning would be personal choice

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

sujole

Deleted User
Thanks for the info chaps. The problem with having the kids sleeping in the overcab bed area is that they are boy and girl. Even though they would be in sleeping bags and have a cushion between them they have both said 'I'm not sleeping with (him or her) depending on who is talking. Reasoning doesn't seem to be working so we are looking at leaving them with grandparents for our first jaunt.

Upvote 0

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Thanks for the info chaps. The problem with having the kids sleeping in the overcab bed area is that they are boy and girl. Even though they would be in sleeping bags and have a cushion between them they have both said 'I'm not sleeping with (him or her) depending on who is talking. Reasoning doesn't seem to be working so we are looking at leaving them with grandparents for our first jaunt.

Theres your solution!!! :Eeek: Forget the awning for the kids....just dump em off with the grandparents when you go away!!!!! :thumb::thumb::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::winky:

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Our van came with a submersible pump which can be plugged into a socket next to the water filler inlet - so we bought a 25 litre jerry can and use that when not able to use a hose.

We use microfibre towels and dry them either in the washroom or on an airer as mentioned in previous posts. I bought one of those expanding curtain rods for use in the washroom (see attachment).

Grey waste always goes where the site owner requests it. If draining at home it goes down the same drain as our sink water. Grey waste should not be emptied down roadside grates as they are surface water sewers, not foul sewers.

We bought a Khyam Motordome Excelsior after seeing one owned by friends. You can buy bedroom fittings for it.

Hope you enjoy your motorhome.

Graham

Attachments

• Fig4s.jpg
    Fig4s.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 136
Upvote 0
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years

Why don't the adults sleep in the overcab and the kids on the side bunks?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

sujole

Deleted User
Why don't the adults sleep in the overcab and the kids on the side bunks?

The problem there is that my wife is disabled so climbing a ladder would not be an option.

Thanks very much for the replies. :Smile: I'll get out and find some microfibre towels, we already have an unused expanding curtain rod so that will now have a home and a watering can is being bought at this moment courtesy of the in-laws for the grand sum of 99p :thumb:

Upvote 0

silverbike

Free Member
May 13, 2008
Funster No
I wouldn't bother with microfibre towels. We use them for motorbike camping where space is very tight but not for the motorhome. Just use ordinary towels - perhaps not as big and fluffy as those at home- and hang them outside when you get there or just leave them over the towel rail in the bathroom as you probably would at home. If they're really damp spread them over a surface that the sun shines on as you travel. I don't really see it's a problem.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
Hi

AC> Hose :)

AC> The millets microfibre type towels are superb. Dry in normal use.

AC> Yes. Also black waste can go down your manhole (where household black goes)

AC> Depends on your van. No expereince though...

AC> It is :)

Upvote 0

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Grey can go down a roadside drain but not sure about the legalities of doing so, we always empty out on site.

Recently seen an article on the BBC website where are Irishman was fined for dumping grey water down a roadside drain.

I would be very cautious about accepting this advice.

Upvote 0
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Recently seen an article on the BBC website where are Irishman was fined for dumping grey water down a roadside drain.

I would be very cautious about accepting this advice.

Sorry it was not meant as advice just a comment as I know people do dump down storm drains, personally I don't and did say I was not sure about the legalaties of doing so.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

sujole

Deleted User
Sorry it was not meant as advice just a comment as I know people do dump down storm drains, personally I don't and did say I was not sure about the legalaties of doing so.

I have sourced a bucket which I can put in a side locker so no problems with the grey waste as I can easily use site facilities. Thanks for all the good advice.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back