How To Use Public Weghbridge (1 Viewer)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Hi Guys

Was wondering.....

When using a public weighbridge, does it matter how far you pull on when weighing the front axle?

Thanks

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
When we run our military vehicles over a weighbridge for transportation on sea vessels etc, we always drive on the weighbridge until just past the centre of the vehicle is on.Then weigh it.

Then fully on the weighbridge.

Then drive off until the centre of the vehicle is not quite off the weighbridge.

These we call front axle weight, all up weight, rear axle weight.

Hope it helps.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
When you get to it you will probably have a screen you can see yourself so you can self check as you drive through

But they will only issue printouts for where you ask for, I found a public weighbridge in Norway that was shut but you could drive over and the external display was live, that confirmed to me that Chaser is quite right (y) although I think a full wheel revolution fully on at least makes sense

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
It shouldn't make any difference. I once had a weighbridge installed for the company I worked for. Part of the deal was that it was approved by the local weights and measures department of the council.
The first test was to put the weights on one corner, then move them to each corner in turn all four corners had to be the same reading.

What is important is that there isn't a slope up (or down) onto the weightbridge. If there is a slope get the rear wheels as close as possible to the weightbridge. IE make the MH as level as possible.

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Public weighbridge in Lancing is drive over slow and you get your read out for each axle then a total on screen. not a million miles from you and its open 24 hours no print out though.

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
Public weighbridge in Lancing is drive over slow and you get your read out for each axle then a total on screen. not a million miles from you and its open 24 hours no print out though.
My god is that weigh bridge still there ? I remember that place back in the 80s ! ? Driving hgv !

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Think it depends if the bridge is ramped or flat on the ground.
If its ramped and the rear axle is low on the ramp (front wheels just on) it will give a false (light) reading, as will the rear if the rear wheels are just on.
'Flat on ground' plate won't make any difference.

Eenansue

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
Brizzle at the moment
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Limited experience
What is important is that there isn't a slope up (or down) onto the weightbridge. If there is a slope get the rear wheels as close as possible to the weightbridge. IE make the MH as level as possible.

Absolutely! It's all to do with moments and vectors. Unfortunately, many weighbridges are raised because it saves having to dig a big hole to put the working parts into. TBH the difference will be very small and therefore effectively negligible, unless you plan on loading to within a few pounds (couple of kilograms) of your axle weight. If you are getting that close you'll need to start weighing your meals taken in restaurants just in case :LOL:. (Meals eaten from the provisions stored in the MH won't count because, for a while at least, the mass will remain part of the payload :whistle: )

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
My god is that weigh bridge still there ? I remember that place back in the 80s ! ? Driving hgv !

Yes it is ive been invited on a couple of time lol and been a few times for fun

@Robert Clark I dont know if its of interest but if you wanted a night out or 2 there is a THS at Lancing college for 3 weeks starting tommorow. I am going along from tommorow until the Lymington meet but cycling to work from there each day. the weigh bridge is a stones throw away

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Does any one know of any other weigh bridges like that around ie public not the odd ministry ones . Was the reason of the lancing one due to new haven ferry port ? To me it’s an oddity never seen it manned

Deleted User
Does any one know of any other weigh bridges like that around ie public not the odd ministry ones . Was the reason of the lancing one due to new haven ferry port ? To me it’s an oddity never seen it manned

There is one just inside the dock gates, near the ferry entrance, at Hull docks, the security will let you in to weigh.

Another is operated by Leeds trading standards just off the M62 at Morley on the A650 Wakefield Road, both Dynamic Axle automatic weighbridges.

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning

the reason I mentioned the Lancing one is that its near to where I live the reason its there is to earn the Goverment money. often have road side checks there etc. One time I was pulled they had all the agencys checking anything and everything. I got chatting to a bike cop and he got me through quick but I had to be weighed first I had no other checks done. It was in the paper that they caught illegals stolen vehicles people working while claiming benefits etc

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
Could we use this thread ( or another ) to share locations ( and postcodes ) of weighbridge? Only one I can find near me is : Thriplow Farms Ltd, Thriplow, Royston, Herts, SG8 7RG

It has steep ramps on and off so not very good for axle weights. You cannot see the readout but can get a certificate for £10 of total weight. It is not manned so you have to phone the farmer to arrange a time, and he is pretty busy doing farming stuff

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
It should make no difference.
Best to weigh each axle & then the whole vehicle. The sum of the axles should match the whole vehicle.
I get out and weigh without driver, so I can see the weight for myself.

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
the reason I mentioned the Lancing one is that its near to where I live the reason its there is to earn the Goverment money. often have road side checks there etc. One time I was pulled they had all the agencys checking anything and everything. I got chatting to a bike cop and he got me through quick but I had to be weighed first I had no other checks done. It was in the paper that they caught illegals stolen vehicles people working while claiming benefits etc
Oh yes I vaguely remember now seeing ministry checks being done there but those were the days when truckers used to wave log books at other trucks so you pulled over and brought the book upto date !

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Could we use this thread ( or another ) to share locations ( and postcodes ) of weighbridge? Only one I can find near me is : Thriplow Farms Ltd, Thriplow, Royston, Herts, SG8 7RG

It has steep ramps on and off so not very good for axle weights. You cannot see the readout but can get a certificate for £10 of total weight. It is not manned so you have to phone the farmer to arrange a time, and he is pretty busy doing farming stuff
Good idea a list of weighbridges

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
It should make no difference.
Best to weigh each axle & then the whole vehicle. The sum of the axles should match the whole vehicle.
I get out and weigh without driver, so I can see the weight for myself.
Don’t forget to add your weight .

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
I work at quarries and they are nearly all with ramps. Also they commonly have high beams either side so be careful opening your door.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
7FC45DA1-2038-4C0E-B10C-5BE38DF5347C.png
I found that before and expected it to list weighbridge in my area when I put my postcode in. It didn’t! It took me here:

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Interestingly the yanks like to do corner weights. They then take the highest corner on each axle to calculate the axle weight for tyre pressure. Never been able to do it myself!

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Gross weight, vehicle positioned as centrally as possible on the plate.

Axles, as centrally as possible if the vehicle is long enough, otherwise with the axle not being weighed as close as possible to the edge of the plate without touching it, so that the axle being weighed is as far onto the plate as possible.

Brake gently when stopping on the plate, engine off, parking brake on and service brake released before weighing.

I was trained and certified for both weight enforcement and weighbridge operation. A lot of weighbridge operators on private sites had no idea when it came to accurate weighing for enforcement purposes, we were taught to direct both the driver and the weighbridge operator regarding vehicle placement and only proceed when completely satisfied.

Ask the operator for the resolution of the equipment. It may weigh in 20kg increments, so the result obtained could be plus or minus that amount of the actual figure.

Of course, if you only want a rough reading, ignore everything I've said.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...-of-practice-enforcement-weighing-of-vehicles

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back