How To Unzip A DoT BIN File MacBook (1 Viewer)

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Ive just tried it yet again and it just does not run. It knows the usb is connected and goes into upgrade mode but then hangs, ...cos it can't read the zip I guess.
Have you tried to download the latest file from Snipe and run that? I know it's not the latest but if it runs would lead me to believe Avtex may have sent you an incorrect file?

Just had another look at your BIN file and it definitely looks like a binary not an archive (zip) file.

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
copy the file and rename it fwupdate.bin and try updating again

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Sandra sent me the file to check the hash and it's definitely called FWUPDATE.BIN unless she has changed the name which I doubt.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Have you tried to download the latest file from Snipe and run that? I know it's not the latest but if it runs would lead me to believe Avtex may have sent you an incorrect file?

Just had another look at your BIN file and it definitely looks like a binary not an archive (zip) file.
I specifically remember having the same problem with the last update. I will try it again for the hell of it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
No it won't work :-( It does say in the instructions to unzip the file too.
What instructions are you looking at?
It's a Snipe 2 you've got isn't it?
The instructions for other models say you have to unzip but Snipe 2 says copy.

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
The instructions say to unzip the downloaded .zip file, which gets you the fwupdate.bin file, which you then copy to the root of a FAT32 formatted USB stick. You already have the fwupdate.bin file, so no unzipping is necessary.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
The instructions say to unzip the downloaded .zip file, which gets you the fwupdate.bin file, which you then copy to the root of a FAT32 formatted USB stick. You already have the fwupdate.bin file, so no unzipping is necessary.
The Snipe2_upgrade file.zip extracts a folder called VERxxxxx with xxxxx being the file version number. The FWUPDATE.BIN file is contained in that folder.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
SEE NO 5

Attachments

• Snipe2 upgrade.pdf
    169.1 KB · Views: 9

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Morning Sandra
The file you got from Avtex would appear to be the contents of the .zip normally downloaded from SelfSat. The current download structure from them is -
  • SNIPE2_upgrade file.zip (archive file)
  • VER 17072 (folder)
  • FWUPDATE.BIN (file)
You've already got the extracted contents of the .zip file (FWUPDATE.BIN) supplied by Avtex.
You should just copy that to the root of a FAT32 formatted USB stick for the controller update process to copy (replace) the file to the firmware on it.
What content size is the USB stick you're using, eg 8Gb, 16Gb, 32Gb, 64Gb, etc as the controller firmware may be limited to a specific maximum, eg 8Gb and won't read from a larger one. Some larger sizes may come formatted as exFAT which won't work with the controller.
Might be worthwhile getting a new USB stick (say 8Gb - should be fairly cheap but in Portugal?), formatting this to FAT32 and copying only the FWUPDATE.BIN file to it. Then try to update again.
As you can tell, clutching at straws now without physically seeing it.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Thanks for that. Correct me if im going wrong somewhere.

I think ive more or less tried your suggestion last night. I have 2 working Usb sticks here. One of which has the last files required for Snipe 2 and works fine. It contains the root bin file and a folder called VER17072 . I plug it in and awaay it goes... Great.

So I then use my free 1G fat32 usb and copy the folder VER17072 to the USB and add the new dot bin file straight to the drive so in effect both usb drives look the same.

The strange thing is when viewing the original on my mac it looks like the. Bin file is zipped again.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Thanks for that. Correct me if im going wrong somewhere.

I think ive more or less tried your suggestion last night. I have 2 working Usb sticks here. One of which has the last files required for Snipe 2 and works fine. It contains the root bin file and a folder called VER17072 . I plug it in and awaay it goes... Great.

So I then use my free 1G fat32 usb and copy the folder VER17072 to the USB and add the new dot bin file straight to the drive so in effect both usb drives look the same.

The strange thing is when viewing the original on my mac it looks like the. Bin file is zipped again.
OK, so trial and error now.
  • On the stick that has been working copy all the contents to your mac under a folder called, eg Snipeold. Is it only the Snipe files on the stick?
  • copy only the FWUPDATE.BIN file you got from Avtex to the exact same location on the "working" stick overwriting the existing FWUPDATE.BIN file there. Do not copy any other files.
  • Plug in to the controller and try to update.
What happens?

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Why don't you forward the original email to your neighbor with a PC and ask them to transfer the file for you onto a USB stick? I'd use the old one, you don't need the old snipe files do you?

Malcolm

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Why don't you forward the original email to your neighbor with a PC and ask them to transfer the file for you onto a USB stick? I'd use the old one, you don't need the old snipe files do you?

Malcolm

I am not home or that is the first place I would have gone. :)

@Gellyneck right your on a roll so keep it up.(y) What I did was copy the old files like you said to a desktop folder, then replaced the bin file with the new one but no luck it never worked. BUT I then deleted the file altogether from the USB then added the new one and it worked. Don't ask why cos I have no idea but at least the system is updated(y) But needless to say its made no difference to the snipe problem so thinking cap back on please.

Follow thread here.
trying-to-determine-what-is-faulty.163019

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I am not home or that is the first place I would have gone. :)

@Gellyneck right your on a roll so keep it up.(y) What I did was copy the old files like you said to a desktop folder, then replaced the bin file with the new one but no luck it never worked. BUT I then deleted the file altogether from the USB then added the new one and it worked. Don't ask why cos I have no idea but at least the system is updated(y) But needless to say its made no difference to the snipe problem so thinking cap back on please.

Follow thread here.
trying-to-determine-what-is-faulty.163019

Yeah!!!!! on the update.
Just stuck a post on your other thread. Apologies if you've already tried that but think it's a process of elimination just like the firmware update.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back