How to undo tight screws to reach battery (1 Viewer)

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
Underneath the drivers seat on my MH is the engine battery, I want to ensure there is water in the battery but the screws that hold the swivel seat are so tight to undo, the MH agents say it is an hours job (which means money) .
Can anyone help with ideas to ease the screws or any other way of doing the job, or shall I cough up at the next hab. Service.
MH is Autoroller 200 family 2013 reg. Ford 2.2ltr. 125 bhp
Thanks in anticipation.
Etap

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
What kind of head are the bolts ?

Socket head Allen, Hex head or Torx ?

Whatever they are, beg, buy or borrow a 1/2 in socket set and use the ratchet with the correct bit or socket to suit the bolt head.

Warning.. the seat is very heavy.. you may need a second pair of hands to help lift it out..

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Are you sure you need to do this?

In 8 years with motorhomes I have never looked at any battery at all, except for the hab batteries. I am quite sure that white van man will never check them and that is what they are designed for. And yours is quite new.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
As above. Is it liable to be a maintenance free battery?

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
As above. Is it liable to be a maintenance free battery?
Ditto. But why on earth is the battery fitted under the seat, surely you should be able to gain access without having to remove the seat. If thats how it is, then thats a terrible design.

oldmanriver

Free Member
May 24, 2013
gillingham kent
Funster No
MH
autotrail comanche
Exp
im a newbie
my 2007 transit is a maintenance free battery and lasted for 6 years before it died

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Mine is under the seat, never looked at it,it works well so I never worry about it. One day it will be tired then I will remove the seat with the appropriate sockets. My advice leave well enough alone.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
May I suggest a simple way to test the battery: Put key in ignition, turn. If the engine started, then your battery is OK :xgrin:

Ok, I know that was sarcastic, but seriously, I strongly suspect that you have a maintenance free battery. It will not need attention for many years.

May 30, 2013
Vale of Glamorgan, Barry, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2010
Are you sure it is located under the seat? My manual says it is but when I wanted to recharge it like you I couldn't get at it. Eventually I went back to the manual and found how to recharge it via the contacts under the bonnet. I never did locate the battery but was told by a mechanic that it is under a plate in the centre of the cab floor. I have never confirmed this and don't have my van with me at present so can't take a look for you. Good luck!

gpz

May 24, 2012
north yorkshire
Funster No
MH
converted movano
Exp
hi i have a 60reg transit and my battery is under drivers seat but have never checked it you have to undo a large nut for seat swivel and then i think they are torqs screws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Are you sure it is located under the seat? My manual says it is but when I wanted to recharge it like you I couldn't get at it. Eventually I went back to the manual and found how to recharge it via the contacts under the bonnet. I never did locate the battery but was told by a mechanic that it is under a plate in the centre of the cab floor. I have never confirmed this and don't have my van with me at present so can't take a look for you. Good luck!

Yup, massive hole in the cab floor.
Just take out the mates, release the QR fixings and the couple of bolts and there it is.
It should be sealed for life battery same ( similar ) to the hab battery(s)

Apr 8, 2008
Snaith
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Nineteen years
Buy an impact screw driver and you can get a socket bit to fit sockets good tool for all screwing jobs especially undoing tight screws and bolts best tool in the box

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Transit battery is deffo under the driver seat. Just attack the problem with a decent begged or borrowed socket set.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back