How to take 2011 Elddis Autoquest OBD Socket out to fit an OBD Lock? (1 Viewer)

ElddisNotElvis

Free Member
Jul 22, 2018
Funster No
I was contemplating purchasing a OBD Lock and a dummy OBD Socket for my MH, but when I looked at it today, the OBD socket seemed to be very well secured and tightly packed into a housing plate of fuses and wiring loom sockets with no obvious way of releasing it. There were some plastic lugs but they looked to be for the wiring sockets adjacent/plugged into the OBD socket.

I could also feel the back of where the socket is, but it feels like there is a big plastic plate running all across the back keeping everything in.

I could not see any easy way of getting the socket out without having to dismantle wiring loom plugs etc, and for this reason, I backed off.

Are there any other Autoquest owners with 2011 > models who have done this mod and could help please.

It appears to be not as straightforward as what I thought?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Its nothing to do with elddis or the autoquest range, the obd port is part of the base vehicle, fiat ducato or peugeot boxer

what you need is an auto electrician to cut one of the data wires to the socket and wire in a hidden switch

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I was contemplating purchasing a OBD Lock and a dummy OBD Socket for my MH, but when I looked at it today, the OBD socket seemed to be very well secured and tightly packed into a housing plate of fuses and wiring loom sockets with no obvious way of releasing it. There were some plastic lugs but they looked to be for the wiring sockets adjacent/plugged into the OBD socket.

I could also feel the back of where the socket is, but it feels like there is a big plastic plate running all across the back keeping everything in.

I could not see any easy way of getting the socket out without having to dismantle wiring loom plugs etc, and for this reason, I backed off.

Are there any other Autoquest owners with 2011 > models who have done this mod and could help please.

It appears to be not as straightforward as what I thought?

I planned to do the same but found that the cabling to the OBD port were to short, so I fitted one of these.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
How much is your van worth to you then ? You obviously have not looked into the cost of alternatives that do protect rather than thinking the thief is dim and wont look for a hidden OBD port.
Still a stupid price. Cutting a wire to install a hidden switch is a little cheaper & just as secure.

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
just break in to your house and get the keys... Oh yeah do your stupid dog, your missus and you first.

Simple!

Oh where are the keys? well hidden? They just ask you... you are not going to argue about it are you now... No!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
just break in to your house and get the keys... Oh yeah do your stupid dog, your missus and you first.

Simple!

Oh where are the keys? well hidden? They just ask you... you are not going to argue about it are you now... No!
Just as well I don't tell anyone where they are(y) or the safes:D so even if tortured they have no idea:rofl:

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Still a stupid price. Cutting a wire to install a hidden switch is a little cheaper & just as secure.

I don't agree with your fitting a hidden switch as being just as secure as it's not to much of a problem following the paper trail of a wire from the back of the OBD to your hidden switch and with the lack of a get at-able length in the OBD loom in our van, breaking into the loom further down is not practical either plus it's also not a practical solution for me as my cruise control connections to the can-bus and power to the cruise control are picked up on the back of my OBD port.

I agree the OBD cap is overpriced for was it is in material terms, but it is a simple and quick to fit and remove solution that works with little or no faffing about.

At first I bought one of these at £40 but found the loom off the back of our OBD port was so short that it would not fit.

OBD lock.jpg

Different people have different views on value and what is valuable, ours obviously differ. (y)

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

ElddisNotElvis

Free Member
Jul 22, 2018
Funster No
How much is your van worth to you then ? You obviously have not looked into the cost of alternatives that do protect rather than thinking the thief is dim and wont look for a hidden OBD port.
I already have a secondary alarm/immobiliser, a big yellow disklok, and a TVL pedal box. I just wanted to add another layer of security to make it difficult to mess with the OBD port.

OP
OP
E

ElddisNotElvis

Free Member
Jul 22, 2018
Funster No
I don't agree with your fitting a hidden switch as being just as secure as it's not to much of a problem following the paper trail of a wire from the back of the OBD to your hidden switch and with the lack of a get at-able length in the OBD loom in our van, breaking into the loom further down is not practical either plus it's also not a practical solution for me as my cruise control connections to the can-bus and power to the cruise control are picked up on the back of my OBD port.

I agree the OBD cap is overpriced for was it is in material terms, but it is a simple and quick to fit and remove solution that works with little or no faffing about.

At first I bought one of these at £40 but found the loom off the back of our OBD port was so short that it would not fit.

OBD lock.jpg

Different people have different views on value and what is valuable, ours obviously differ. (y)
Yes, I was going to buy one of these but you have to take the socket out of the housing to fit it and it looked too complicated.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I used to have a Mul-T-lock gear lever lock on a works van. (Not the cheap arm thing) was very good but they're very difficult to source these days, especially the vehicle specific bracket that bolts to the floor.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
This one on amazon is cheaper...

BI OBD Protector Anti-Theft Immobiliser for OBD Socket Cover for OBD Interface Amazon product ASIN B07MMV98YS

Well spotted Richard.

Always the bloody way, I bought mine the end of last year and hunted across the internet for the cheapest price and the guy I bought mine from at the time was the cheapest and seemed to be flogging them via different wesbsites.

Mar 23, 2018
East Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1995 + 20Yrs a 'Tugger' first.
I have just recieved the OBD Lock from Amazon. It's not clear whether I need to use the small black adaptor that comes in the kit. Also, I have asked a question on Amazon about purchasing a second 'key'.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I have just recieved the OBD Lock from Amazon. It's not clear whether I need to use the small black adaptor that comes in the kit. Also, I have asked a question on Amazon about purchasing a second 'key'.

Did you not get instuctions with it ?, mine explained in them as to which type of OBD port needs the insert and which does not.

Post a photo of your OBD port as without knowing which which base vehicle you have and the year it's a bit difficult to give you advice.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back