How to start driving a motorhome? (1 Viewer)

Jun 12, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
A class Pilote
Exp
My first wife was 4' 11 3/4" (she was very insistent upon mentioning the 3/4"). I fitted removable blocks to the pedals.
Or you could fit proprietary hand controls where needed.

I’m led to believe the last inch is important 😆

frenchie 79

Free Member
May 11, 2021
Funster No
MH
c class
We've got a slight dilemma. We've got a 6.5 metre long x 3 metre tall motorhome that up until now I've always driven. I didn't have too much difficulty getting used to it as years ago my daily vehicle was a long wheelbase Transit panel van, but my wife has no such experience and her daily car is a Fiat Panda, so about as far removed from our motorhome as you could get.
She is very keen, but understandably quite anxious, as am I 😀, to drive the motorhome, but as we live in Birmingham there are no quiet roads or carparks anywhere near for her to have a go just to get the feel of it and so get some experience of judging the much bigger size and much more restricted visibility.
My question is, what do any of you think of the various motorhome driving courses that are advertised by the clubs etc. I can see they are a good idea in some ways, but it sounds as though a great deal of time is wasted in theory and instruction with only very limited actual driving experience often in fields, around a few cones. It seems very far removed from the "real world" driving experience that she actually needs.
I'm thinking might be better me just instructing her and getting her to perhaps park the motorhome up next time we are on a site or spacious cl, to get the initial feel of it and using the mirrors etc and then just gritting our teeth and getting her driving on the most suitable quiet roads we can find. I don't want to give her a fright and put her off though. How have other people got over this slight hurdle??
Would love to drive our 7.79 bailey autograph.I’ve done it twice & because it’s gears & not automatic it’s a divorce in progress lol Apparently it has 6 gears & not 2 🤦‍♀️

Jul 2, 2021
Brighton, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Nuevo EK
Exp
We’re a couple of newbies 😊
I always advise take it slowly, manoeuvre Slowly and keep on learning on the job !!
Just had my first crunch with a wall yesterday after 3 months of driving - no longer a newbie now 😳!! Totally gutted as I was doing so well 😕 Tail swing when moving out of a very tight driveway park up - my focus was on clearing the high kerb on opposite side of street when turning left into a narrow residential lane - completely forgot about our backside 🤪
Never too proud to admit mistakes and will keep learning - that one ain’t never happening again!!! 😡

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
I always advise take it slowly, manoeuvre Slowly and keep on learning on the job !!
Just had my first crunch with a wall yesterday after 3 months of driving - no longer a newbie now 😳!! Totally gutted as I was doing so well 😕 Tail swing when moving out of a very tight driveway park up - my focus was on clearing the high kerb on opposite side of street when turning left into a narrow residential lane - completely forgot about our backside 🤪
Never too proud to admit mistakes and will keep learning - that one ain’t never happening again!!! 😡
Much damage or did the slow manoeuvre save the paintwork? It's so annoying when this happens, and every time you walk round the Vehicle, my eye is drawn to the dink and I think about the momentary lack of concentration, aka 'why/how did I manage to do that?' [and the answer is still the same as the last time I asked myself this question ....]

Steve & Elaine

Jul 2, 2021
Brighton, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Nuevo EK
Exp
Much damage or did the slow manoeuvre save the paintwork? It's so annoying when this happens, and every time you walk round the Vehicle, my eye is drawn to the dink and I think about the momentary lack of concentration, aka 'why/how did I manage to do that?' [and the answer is still the same as the last time I asked myself this question ....]

Steve & Elaine
Was going to explain but as they say a picture etc etc …

8099804C-A4EB-4B88-B59D-9FC1646F967F.jpeg
4D1A50DD-AC9B-4A38-8E28-AD2CA1DBCFBA.jpeg

Nasty - suggestions on how to repair muc appreciated!! 😕

Ralph and Dave

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Was going to explain but as they say a picture etc etc …

View attachment 536424View attachment 536425

Nasty - suggestions on how to repair muc appreciated!! 😕

Ralph and Dave
Hi Ralph and Dave,

Painful! Gellyneck had a similar scrape [literally] on his Van and posted details of his repair work, which was very successful. I've tagged him in this reply in the hope that he sees the Thread and can talk you through the remedial work without a huge bill and without the Van being in dock for a lengthy period! Fingers crossed!

Steve & Elaine

Jul 2, 2021
Brighton, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Nuevo EK
Exp
Hi Marchie (Elaine&Steve)

Sorry but can’t find the post from Gellyneck - we do however have some one near Brlghton who may be able to help 👍 Totally get your comments “every time you walk around my eyes are drawn to the dink or in my case train crash 😳 …” It annoys me no end but lesson learned 😕

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!

Sorry but can’t find the post from Gellyneck - we do however have some one near Brlghton who may be able to help 👍 Totally get your comments “every time you walk around my eyes are drawn to the dink or in my case train crash 😳 …” It annoys me no end but lesson learned 😕
Naw, yir still a novice at this dunting the back of the motorhome, boyz! Have a look at the links below.

Looking at your photos it doesn't look too serious and could be repaired with filler \ gel coat. Once filled a rub down with finishing wet and dry sandpaper to a smooth finish and either respray with matched aerosol paint (got an ancient local guy (Moses's old brother I think!) who matched it by eye rather than a machine) or matching \ mirrored vinyl graphics on both side to cover.

Given your location you may find a repair guy at a local marina who would probably do it for you at a reasonable cost.

The thread\s Steve is mentioning are these ones -

Best of luck and let us know how you get on.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner

Sorry Ralph & Dave,
I missed your reply this morning. Grant [GellyNeck] has replied and provided some good pointers, trying the Marina is inspired! Failing that, and this is a long shot, because it's nearly 22 years since I left Worthing [!], there was a Citroen owner enthusiast [owned about 25 vehicle under constant reovation!] who did his own repairs and had a good bodywork [BX plastic panels] repair guy for the paintwork jobs. If the garage is still going,it was owned by Malcolm Atterbury, Worthing [01903 234053]. H's probably long retired but his 2 employees may have taken the business over. Worth a quick call ...

Steve [Worthing] & Elaine [Scot]

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back