Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Since 2002 plus 20 years in a tent
My previous MH was a Fiat 2.8tdi and when I started it I did the usual one key turn click which showed oil light etc...the next turn started it. My new (to me) Hymer is a 2.8Jtd. When I do first click it shows the oil light etc but then if I turn the next click it doesn’t start or do anything. To start I seem to have to turn the key from beginning to end all in one movement, then it starts. Am I meant to wait a bit after first click or something or is there something wrong because of the electronic side of the JTD.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Should crank no matter how you do it.
May need to wait on the first click in cold weather for the cold start to heat up before it starts though.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
No,just turn it full on straight away.......she’ll fire up.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I always give it a couple of moments when ignition lights come on to warm the glow plugs.
I thought that was the proceedure for a diesel engine.
Something doesn`t sound right by the OP description of starting

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
My previous MH was a Fiat 2.8tdi and when I started it I did the usual one key turn click which showed oil light etc...the next turn started it. My new (to me) Hymer is a 2.8Jtd. When I do first click it shows the oil light etc but then if I turn the next click it doesn’t start or do anything. To start I seem to have to turn the key from beginning to end all in one movement, then it starts. Am I meant to wait a bit after first click or something or is there something wrong because of the electronic side of the JTD.

Had the same problem with our Mercedes based motorhome. Even got to the point when the all in one movement failed to start. Checked relays, battery etc. To fix it the starter motor was replaced.

Anthony

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Hymerbell
Have you got your 2.8jtd starting properly ?
It really shouldn't matter what starting procedure you try, it should crank over straight away every time.
I've read on here a bad earth from the battery can cause starting problems, might be worth checking

OP
OP
Hymerbell

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Hymerbell
Have you got your 2.8jtd starting properly ?
It really shouldn't matter what starting procedure you try, it should crank over straight away every time.
I've read on here a bad earth from the battery can cause starting problems, might be worth checking
Well it starts fine but only with the al in one action...and then if I don’t touch the accelerator then it stops and have to start again....so just a bit flakey. Will check the earth...don’t know when the fuel filter was last changed...might try that...Rather sort it out here rather than when I’m overseas on a trip...

OP
OP
Hymerbell

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Had the same problem with our Mercedes based motorhome. Even got to the point when the all in one movement failed to start. Checked relays, battery etc. To fix it the starter motor was replaced.

Anthony
Hmm starter motor....don’t even know what relays are 🙁

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
After the first turn of the key that lights all the dash indicator lamps I have to wait for the glow plugs light to go out before turning the key to the 'Start' position.
Presumably your dash doesn't have the glow plugs lamp.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
If you don`t do the "all in one action" does the engine not turn over ?
Or turn over, but not start ?
Just trying to get things clear

OP
OP
Hymerbell

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
If you don`t do the "all in one action" does the engine not turn over ?
Or turn over, but not start ?
Just trying to get things clear
Not turn over....I have to turn then turn the key back to off then do the one action turn and touch the accelerator...if I don’t touch the accelerator it starts but then stops so then have to go back to the beginning....just a bit annoying that’s all....my previous 2.8 Tdi I just turned to position one....waited for the glow plugs to go out then turned once more to start...didn’t even have to touch the accelerator.

OP
OP
Hymerbell

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
After the first turn of the key that lights all the dash indicator lamps I have to wait for the glow plugs light to go out before turning the key to the 'Start' position.
Presumably your dash doesn't have the glow plugs lamp.
Hmm yes same as my previous 2.8 tdi...this JTD I’m not even sure if it has glow plugs does it....

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I suffered all sorts of issues with mine early on, some habitation but a few more chassis

I took some nagging but did eventually concede and put ours into a commercial Mercedes dealer In our case

I think your money could be well spent going to a Fiat service centre, it is a van at the end of the day and a van driver couldn’t risk not starting. There will hopefully be a fairly simple fix 👍

our advice was good and we stick with ours 👍

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Have you go your foot on the break some modern vehicles will not start if the break is not engaged and you may have your foot on the break without realising it just a thought I watched a delivery driver sit for 20 minutes on my drive once as he could not work out how to start the BMW (I did offer to show him as it was in his eyes that he had never driven a BMW before)
Just a thought :unsure:

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Foot on brake is usually a requirement with automatics, Hymerbell needs right foot for accelerator to keep it going.
It seems a strange one, maybe a trusted mechanic to investigate would be the best way forward as it sounds like something is not working quite right.
Let us know how it`s resolved.

OP
OP
Hymerbell

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
I suffered all sorts of issues with mine early on, some habitation but a few more chassis

I took some nagging but did eventually concede and put ours into a commercial Mercedes dealer In our case

I think your money could be well spent going to a Fiat service centre, it is a van at the end of the day and a van driver couldn’t risk not starting. There will hopefully be a fairly simple fix 👍

our advice was good and we stick with ours 👍
Yes I’m taking it to a Fiat service center that Lenny HB mentioned to sort out the hand break...gonna get them to grease the al-ko chassis as well...might ask them about the one turn start as well. It’s not a problem at the moment as it always starts. In fact as I haven’t started it much because of lock down so I’m wondering if the start procedure is meant to be different on a JTD compared to the Tdi...because if the electronic nature.

Trying to sort out motor scooter, Satelite TV with a new Avtex TV, mot,Dvla, number plates, handbreak, service.... Starting to wonder if I should have bought the B678 that’s just been advertised on this forum...No issues at all with that one I suspect...about 40 big ones over my price range though 😥

also first date I could get into the a Fiat Service center was 22 July even though I mentioned Lennys name....In fact I think they put it back a few weeks due to that 😊

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
On the 2.8 jtd 1sr click if you wait gives you an oil level gauge then turning further against
the spring is the starter It’s not a second click

OP
OP
Hymerbell

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
On the 2.8 jtd 1sr click if you wait gives you an oil level gauge then turning further against
the spring is the starter It’s not a second click
Well the power of this site...it all seems to be working now....either that or I’m getting a bit senile. If I turn it one click then wait then as you say Further against the spring it’s fine. I think my old 2.8tdi didn’t have the spring action...anyway thanks all...one less thing to do 😊.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Well the power of this site...it all seems to be working now....either that or I’m getting a bit senile. If I turn it one click then wait then as you say Further against the spring it’s fine. I think my old 2.8tdi didn’t have the spring action...anyway thanks all...one less thing to do 😊.
You do not have to turn the key to stop the starter turning you just release the key so spring as an most key operated starter motors

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back