LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Still waiting for the van so thoughts are going elsewhere ::bigsmile: How or what is a blog --do I need to make one or do I simply update a thread on here ? I know how to update and post pics on here :thumb: so does a blog have any advantages over posting here --- more important is it easy to do or is it more involved?
terry

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Good question Terry I do not know but lots of funsters have a blog link so will no doubt know

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi Terry

if you only want a simple bog of the new van 'build' , doing it on a Fun thread is fine..
or you can use the Fun blog section.. (never used it so not conversant..)

If you want a proper blog that is independent of Fun I suggest using Google Blogger.. it is free with the Google Account..

The service has quickly become the preferred choice of many novice bloggers and is one of the easiest methods of creating and publishing a blog for free
http://www.wikihow.com/Start-a-Blog-on-Blogger

I have one for my Singer Sewing machines..very easy to use.. see link in sig.
I like the fact that it is MY blog and not dependent on a forum .. I can style it and upload as many pics as I want.. track who is reading and from which countries..

it is also possible to earn cash from google ads.. depending on hits.. I'm not interested in that so don't know much about it.

No doubt other 'bloggers' will have other suggestions.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've had my own web site for years for publication of family history stuff so simply created extra pages for my motorhome notes and trip diary/blog/whatever. That is all hand coded but not a problem as I'm used to it.

If you're not in a similar position I would go for a popular blog provider that does the least to abuse your personal data in return :Smile:

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Morning John,Jim and Graham :thumb: sounds a little more complicated than I thought although reading your link Jim it may not be :Smile:I may well have a bash at one but to be honest I think I may choose the easy option of simply posting on here ::bigsmile: at least I know what I am doing :winky: plus I may well get useful feedback,suggestions and links for stuff I need from funsters --A lot has changed in the past few yrs and a lot of stuff has gone up :Eeek:::bigsmile: but so far I think i have done well buying what I have at very low to reasonable prices plus made a few useful contacts :thumb:Even if I have gone a little over the top on buying stuff and doubled up on things,even quadrupled on some stuff:Smile:mainly boards and leather hides it will all come in handy at later dates
terry

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Morning John,Jim and Graham :thumb: sounds a little more complicated than I thought although reading your link Jim it may not be :Smile:I may well have a bash at one but to be honest I think I may choose the easy option of simply posting on here ::bigsmile: at least I know what I am doing :winky: plus [HI]I may well get useful feedback,suggestions and links for stuff I need from funsters[/HI] --A lot has changed in the past few yrs and a lot of stuff has gone up :Eeek:::bigsmile: but so far I think i have done well buying what I have at very low to reasonable prices plus made a few useful contacts :thumb:Even if I have gone a little over the top on buying stuff and doubled up on things,even quadrupled on some stuff:Smile:mainly boards and leather hides it will all come in handy at later dates
terry

a very valid point Terry.. many will read a thread but not a blog ..

frankly, I rarely read blogs as many are written badly, uninteresting and self indulgent.. in other words boring.. there are exceptions.. but not many.

looking forward to reading your thread .. :Smile:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Its easy to start blogging here. It works just like a thread might, except all blog comments are kept separate from your blog posts. If you can post on a thread you can blog.

Click on blogs on the left nav box and follow your nose:thumb: or Link Removed

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Its easy to start blogging here. It works just like a thread might, except all blog comments are kept separate from your blog posts. If you can post on a thread you can blog.

Click on blogs on the left nav box and follow your nose:thumb: or Link Removed

::bigsmile: Lost me as soon as I clicked on the link Jim :Smile:READ the page but no idea where to click/start one - I think I will take the easy for me option(A thread on here) :thumb: thanks
terry

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Simple enough Terry under options on the LH side... Post to your blog
thats all there is to it.

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Got that now Roger :thumb: who knows ?
I just need my van to arrive -- good thing is one of my seats got recovered in a beautiful AQUA GREEN LEATHER :thumb: just needs arm and headrest then I can start my thread or blog with a nice pic of one of the seats --hope I can modify them to fit a tranny or there will be a couple of nice leather clad captains chairs for sale on ebay ::bigsmile:
terry

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Morning John,Jim and Graham :thumb: sounds a little more complicated than I thought although reading your link Jim it may not be :Smile:I may well have a bash at one but to be honest I think I may choose the easy option of simply posting on here ::bigsmile: at least I know what I am doing :winky: [HI]plus I may well get useful feedback,suggestions and links for stuff I need from funsters[/HI] --A lot has changed in the past few yrs and a lot of stuff has gone up :Eeek:::bigsmile: but so far I think i have done well buying what I have at very low to reasonable prices plus made a few useful contacts :thumb:Even if I have gone a little over the top on buying stuff and doubled up on things,even quadrupled on some stuff:Smile:mainly boards and leather hides it will all come in handy at later dates
terry
Trouble is you also risk input from the likes of me and the other Nutters :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The advantage of a Blog is it provides a permanent record of for example your trips with everything in one place. If you just put posts on here, while they will probably get more readers than a blog entry over time they will become buried in all the subsequent posts from others and you will probably have a problem remembering what you posted and when if you ever wanted to read through say what happened on that wild trip to Blackpool or wherever a year or so ago.

The site offers a simple way to start a blog. Just go to your account, by clicking on your username in the top right hand corner of this screen, then select "Blogs+" from the menu across the middle of the next screen. This will take you to your blog page, which will be blank. Then from the left of the screen click on "Post to your Blog" and away you go.

The alternative is a bespoke webpage like I have, which is a bit of an indulgence to be honest and there is a learning curve, which is steep or at least was for me, but gives you a lot of flexibility. Another advantage of a simple blog like the MHF one, compared to just posting is if you ever wanted to take it further you could copy what you have written and place it in another blog at any time later very easily. Image might be more troublesome but I would recommend holding your images on another site, such as Picassa and then linking them to your Blog, the links should then still work if you paste them somewhere else. This won't happen if you just upload the image file to MHF.

The Google system referred to above is an alternative but I found the web space offered, 100MB, was insufficient if you wanted to put a lot of images up.

My advice would be start a Blog here and as you add something post something on the main forum to tell people a bit about what you have written and invite them to read the Blog. Best of both worlds then.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back