How to solve a minor problem, which can be quite stressful (1 Viewer)

camperlove

Free Member
Nov 30, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato mwb
Exp
17 years
For the past 5 years, I am of the opinion, that my van sometimes doesn't like hills. My van goes BACKWARDS, instead of forwards. Im also of the opinion, that maybe my hand break doesn't work too well either, when going backwards, because I have to use the foot break as well. Im sure I don't have full control of the stearing...its too hard to turn the wheel. Now im pretty sure, it didn't behave like that 10 years ago.

Well Ive noticed a frequently common factor, when this happens.....my petrol is showing EMPTY when im on the hill. but on a flat or flatter area, im showing between quarter and half full.

I had a new petrol tank filled roughly 5 years ago....could it be faulty???
Shortly after the new tank was fitted, I noticed I could not fill the tank right up, and had a leak if I filled up over £90 of fuel. So I must have a hole. Would this hole, be causing the above problem.

If there are vehicles behind me.....im stressing out big time. This has happened a few times. Ive even had to get a man, often, to do a 3 point turn in reverse, to position me to go back down the hill. Because by now im in pieces, and stressed.

This weekend...my situation turned into a nightmare...the traffic was diverted in the hilly, countryside. I could not climb the hill, so slid back down (ignition wont switch on as there isn't any petrol), swung into a driveway, and headed back up the road from where I came from, opposite direction....but that was also a steep hill. So im in the dip, between two steep slopes, road is one car width, and its on the diverted route...and the odd car is cussing me to move. Even parked by the driveway, didn't give vans and larger food delivery vehicles enough space to pass me. No reception in the woods.......
I had to add another 4 of those green plastic petrol containers to make the hill/slope. On the flat I was just over half full. Going up the hill, I stalled. Looked at the fuel level, and it was showing on the lowest line. Lucky I managed to restart, and travel forward. But this was highly stressful for me.

I need to know how to sort this problem out ..... Many thanks

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
It sounds very much like the fuel pump in the tank is not at the bottom of the tank, or has a pickup pipe missing. Could very well have happened when the tank was changed. Fixing it is as easy as changing the pump

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Sounds like the petrol pick-up pipe in the tank is wrong.. :nod:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Sounds like you've got a problem with the in tank fuel pump, or main fuel pump..?

But what ever it is I wouldn't like to be following behind you....:eek:

:)(y)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Strangely this is the second van with this problem that I have heard of this week.

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Have a good look at your tank, it is quite possible for a blocked air inlet/ vent to cause a tank to be crushed/ distorted to very low capacity. Years back I had a Rover SD1 that had this issue and it drove me crazy until diagnosed.

OP
OP
camperlove

camperlove

Free Member
Nov 30, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato mwb
Exp
17 years
Obviously you have no, or very limited, mechanical knowledge so i suggest get a garage to fix the problem....and the hand brake
If this happens on a regular basis its dangerous.
The steering needs the engine running or it will be extremely hard to turn.
OH I wouldn't be doing this myself. Just firstly I need to understand, do I have a problem. or is this normal. 2ndly, could the problem be due to the new tank being installed, or due to a hole. 3rdly, I need to tell the garage what I want done, and ask for a quote.
Remember I just failed an emissions test, after I had too much oil in. ohhhhhhh big job, you have engine problems. Coming on line here, I went back to the garage, armed with my newly gained information, to be told...........errrrrrr yes you could try that it might solve the problem.! yes, too much oil could be the problem. from too much oil in the tank, and draining it............to I have an engine problem..........= a good few hundred pounds.

OP
OP
camperlove

camperlove

Free Member
Nov 30, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato mwb
Exp
17 years
It sounds very much like the fuel pump in the tank is not at the bottom of the tank, or has a pickup pipe missing. Could very well have happened when the tank was changed. Fixing it is as easy as changing the pump
Many thanks........
am waiting for more info here on line, but so far, pick up pipe is showing up often.
What exactly would I say to the garage...word wise.
ie Can you check I have a pick up pipe? Is it missing?
ie Can you check my pick up pipe is in the correct place?

There has also been two mentions to fuel pump.
What words do I use?
ie... is my fuel pump sitting where it should be sitting..is it low enough
ie...is my fuel pump faulty.

Are these jobs expensive. ? Do I go to my new garage I been using for 3 years, or do I go back to the garage which fitted the new petrol tank.?

So judging from the answers, I conclude, I DO have a problem, and this is not normal, that I have no fuel registering on steep slopes/hills.

Am I correct in understanding that if the engine will not start, the hand break and foot break, and steering wheel, wont work properly, especial the steering wheel and foot break. This is quite scary, cause 2 years ago, the hill upwards, was on a bend. And I couldn't steer the van backwards down the bend. It went backwards in a straightish line. More and more into the bushes, until I was 2ft from a tree. and wouldn't try again, to start the van up.

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
Your steering and foot brake wont work properly without engine running, correct.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
You will have steering but no power assistance with the engine stopped so the steering will be very stiff but not impossible. You will have power brakes but only for a couple of applications so press the pedal once and keep it there until the handbrake is on and you have engaged bottom gear. If you do this the van won't run away backwards with a dead engine. I would go to garage you trust and explain the symptoms in your own words. It's more important that you get this fixed than worry about what caused the fault. Insist that they road test it on a steep hill known to you. In the meantime do try to understand how to prevent it from running backwards.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
It does sound like your fuel pump has not been put in correctly when you may have had the tank changed, but I would go to the new garage and explain what you have said here.... If there is not a village missing a perticular person somewhere they will see the problem instantly when they look in the tank, if the pump has been fitted wrong then it should not take much to put it right, just labour.... And then you may be able to have a refund from the garage that originally fitted the new tank or part cost of it....

I think you have been very lucky to have got away without a serious accident so far and I would not drive it again unless it's to a garage....

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
When you posted on here recently about the van's emissions, was it for it's mot ? If it was, I think they should have picked up any problem with your brakes during their checks. As others have said, no engine means poor brakes but it shouldn't affect the handbrake, do you think you are pulling it on hard enough ?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Half the time in my Garage is spent trying to work out what the customer is actally complaining of
The Op post was going off at many tangents i was already in 3 types of dianostic modes just readig it
Trying to work out what is wrong is bad enough without being led astray by an attempt to sound like you know what is wrong.
Find a garage you can trust and tell him NOTHING
except you seem to run out of fuel going up hill and your hand brake is poor.
Thats it! --Its all he needs nothing more No stories no history let him work it out, it will cost less than him working through all your ideas first before going back to basics and fixing it
G

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I agree like a problem with your health find someone you trust tell them whats wrong and take their advice!

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
@camperlove
If you are anywhere near Broadstairs I know a garage that will not rip you off and do a great job.
(It is a transport firm but he will look at your problem if you ask)
Mel

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I think the main thing is that it's not a minor problem it's one that could put you in a dangerous situation and you need to get it sorted for your own safety.

Reactions: CWH
OP
OP
camperlove

camperlove

Free Member
Nov 30, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato mwb
Exp
17 years
no
When you posted on here recently about the van's emissions, was it for it's mot ? If it was, I think they should have picked up any problem with your brakes during their checks. As others have said, no engine means poor brakes but it shouldn't affect the handbrake, do you think you are pulling it on hard enough ?[/

yes, I was putting the van through an early mot, 6 months early. I do know I cant move the hand break to where it should be. Every time I collect my van from the garage, or if a male has driven my van, I cant release the hand break. The thing is, if I pull the hand break to my max point,....when I drive off, I have to press a button in, then pull the hand break up...UP. If a male has parked my van, I can press my button, but I cant bring the hand break higher than what it is at the time the garage/male pulled the hand break. I always have to ask the garage, excuse me, can you do the hand break for me please, its too tight.

OP
OP
camperlove

camperlove

Free Member
Nov 30, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato mwb
Exp
17 years
You will have steering but no power assistance with the engine stopped so the steering will be very stiff but not impossible. You will have power brakes but only for a couple of applications so press the pedal once and keep it there until the handbrake is on and you have engaged bottom gear. If you do this the van won't run away backwards with a dead engine. I would go to garage you trust and explain the symptoms in your own words. It's more important that you get this fixed than worry about what caused the fault. Insist that they road test it on a steep hill known to you. In the meantime do try to understand how to prevent it from running backwards.

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
No vehicle with a mechanical handbrake, which is what you have, requires the lever to be pulled UP to release it....UP IS ON, DOWN IS OFF.
How on earth have you been driving it so long in this manner ?

Sorry, but I'm beginning to think this is a wind up.
It is good practice to raise the handbrake slightly before pressing the release button to take the stress out of the pawl mechanism. It is also shows mechanical sympathy to press the release button in when pulling the handbrake on to again save wear on the pawl mechanism.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
It is good practice to raise the handbrake slightly before pressing the release button to take the stress out of the pawl mechanism. It is also shows mechanical sympathy to press the release button in when pulling the handbrake on to again save wear on the pawl mechanism.
Not only is it good practice but if the handbrake has been pulled on hard it is close to impossible to press the button to release the pawl without pulling up on the lever at the same time. What the OP said in her last post about the handbrake made perfect sense to me.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
What you need for the hand brake is a handbrake extender, that will help you pull it on more......

In the mean time get yourself down the gym....:boxing:

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
No vehicle with a mechanical handbrake, which is what you have, requires the lever to be pulled UP to release it....UP IS ON, DOWN IS OFF.

I'm splitting hairs here as I know what you're referring to, but my Renault Master's handbrake sits parallel to the floor all the time, even when on, to allow the drivers seat to swivel, so you have to pull it up first, before you can release it, but it does sound as if @camperlove's problem might be strength related.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

Not only is it good practice but if the handbrake has been pulled on hard it is close to impossible to press the button to release the pawl without pulling up on the lever at the same time. What the OP said in her last post about the handbrake made perfect sense to me.
the OP says she CAN press in the button but can't lift the lever any higher.
If the button can be pressed there is no need to lift the lever, it will simply lower.

OP
OP
camperlove

camperlove

Free Member
Nov 30, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato mwb
Exp
17 years
I'm splitting hairs here as I know what you're referring to, but my Renault Master's handbrake sits parallel to the floor all the time, even when on, to allow the drivers seat to swivel, so you have to pull it up first, before you can release it, but it does sound as if @camperlove's problem might be strength related.
YES it is strength related because men pull my hand break higher than I can. ie when I collect van from garage, or having it cleaned, I cant release the hand break.
All my vans and cars ive hand I have had to SLIGHTLY pull up on the hand break before it releases. But as I do it automatically, I cant remember as im typing, if I press the button in first then lift or the other way round.
Anyway, there nothing wrong with hand break.
I now know that my foot pedal and steering wont work anyway if the van is off.
I know ive only a few pumps on the foot pedal before it will stop working.
I now know I do actually have a problem, and its not just that my van don't like some hills. Which is what I wanted to know.
No, my garage don't want to do the job, because
1. if the pipe is missing, can you get another one
2. might have to strip everything apart etc.
So will take up mels offer.
Thanks everyone. Will repost when fixed.

OP
OP
camperlove

camperlove

Free Member
Nov 30, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato mwb
Exp
17 years
@camperlove
If you are anywhere near Broadstairs I know a garage that will not rip you off and do a great job.
(It is a transport firm but he will look at your problem if you ask)
Mel
@Mel can I please have the number, and have you used this garage? thanks

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back