How to set-up a Certificated Site (1 Viewer)

TheHappyCampers

Free Member
Oct 17, 2016
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Hi Funsters,

I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find out more information about setting up a Certified Site.

I am looking at some land which could work quite well for a CS. I could level some hard standing to accommodate 5 'vans. The site currently has running water, and could have power. Need to look into waste water options. And the field is next to a long distance bridleway and Sustrans route in rural Scotland.

Any thoughts and help greatly appreciated.

THC.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
It may be a good idea to contact the Camping and Caravan Club and also the Caravan and Motorhome club I'm sure they would be helpful .

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheHappyCampers

TheHappyCampers

Free Member
Oct 17, 2016
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2006
I know that ACC offer a commercial product/service where by you register with them for about £200 per 2 years, but kind of want to find out what is involved before committing.

Cheers, THC.

Upvote 0

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
Tried with CMC, couldn,t do with all the red tape, inspected and passed site then requested fencing to bee hives and hen run!!!!
You could,nt make it up.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheHappyCampers

TheHappyCampers

Free Member
Oct 17, 2016
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Yeah - just looked at CCC process (you can download a guide from their site) and it seems to be wrapped in a lot of red tape - and requires campers to be members!
Jim, I'll drop you a line.
Cheers,
THC.

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Another FUN CL on the way ?? (y)(y)

"If you build it - They will come"..

field-of-dreams_510x380.jpg

Upvote 0

soreeyes

Free Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T69L 2017
Exp
im a newbie
They do not require planning permission because they are certified by the club's but they still come Under the Caravan site development act 1960 .

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
If you are in Scotland be aware that a cesspit is illegal if a permanent connection (eg for a shower / loo block). SEPA will need to be made aware that any cesspit is for disposal of chemical toilet waste and not "normal" waste.

I'd be interested in how you get on as I have a friend who is also considering setting up a Cl / CS and the disposal of chemical toilet waste is the main issue as there is no mains sewer.

I think Jerry @lorger had a local company provide a tank at the Dumfries rally........ was it £250 (ish) for the weekend Jerry?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheHappyCampers

TheHappyCampers

Free Member
Oct 17, 2016
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Puddleduck - yes this does seem to be one of the issues that may need some thought. A double skinned tank that is emptied twice a year, or an onsite treatment system may be options - I will have to get on to SEPA colleagues. I'll let you know.
Cheers,

Nik.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheHappyCampers

TheHappyCampers

Free Member
Oct 17, 2016
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Damn.. gonna have you guys queuing to get in...

Yes we are north of Aberdeen, I let you know how it all goes and you'll be sure to hear about the site here first - if and when it goes ahead!
Thanks again all.
THC

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Puddleduck - yes this does seem to be one of the issues that may need some thought. A double skinned tank that is emptied twice a year, or an onsite treatment system may be options - I will have to get on to SEPA colleagues. I'll let you know.
Cheers,

Nik.

I'm not even sure that a mini-treatment plant would work as you are never really sure what is being put into the tank. At least with a cesspit it is all contained and then pumped out for proper disposal.

We have a septic tank and even though we tell our visitors over and over that it is only for bodily waste and the tissue we provide they still flush all sorts which causes real problems and damage.

I have always found SEPA to be helpful when approached :) They are the experts and best to ask as they can save you a lot of money long term.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
We need more "Motorhomefun" CL`s... :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Just think.... a network all over the UK... England - Scotland and Wales... (y)

Oh Yes!

Some interesting reading to get you started...

https://www.gov.uk/permits-you-need-for-septic-tanks

I think this may only apply in England. Rules in Scotland are different - possibly different in NI and Wales as well. I know planning law is.

Upvote 0
Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
They just built (opened Christmas) a Maccy d drive thru about 1/4 mile from us and they had to put a 100mm pipe to pump the sewage 2.5 miles to a village treatment plant .

Upvote 0

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I think this may only apply in England. Rules in Scotland are different - possibly different in NI and Wales as well. I know planning law is.

There is a link on that site to Scottishland rules..

so what happened to the one old mo left new owners didnt carry it on i assume?

They were going to....(y) ... but...

Unfortunately due to illness it is back on the market... :frowny:

Don`t know if they did contact Jim...:wondering:

Upvote 0

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
so what happened to the one old mo left new owners didnt carry it on i assume?

No, they did not continue. Not sure they could have without Jim’s blessing.
I believe the property is back on the market

Sorry didn’t see the special ones reply before I posted:)

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Serious question:

Does Natural England's responsibility for issuing the various exemptions to organisations extend to Scotland or is there another body responsible for doing it there?

@GJH one for you maybe?

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
It may be a good idea to contact the Camping and Caravan Club and also the Caravan and Motorhome club I'm sure they would be helpful .

Why?

There are around 15 organisations able to issue paragraph 5 exemptions.

What possible incentive is there for anyone to saddle themselves with either of the big companies and their rulebooks?

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
What possible incentive is there for anyone to saddle themselves with either of the big companies and their rulebooks?

Publicity perhaps....... we use CL and CS sites exempted by "the big two" as they have printed books with their sites - I know there are apps etc but I am old fashioned enough to prefer a printed book I can search.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Publicity perhaps....... we use CL and CS sites exempted by "the big two" as they have printed books with their sites - I know there are apps etc but I am old fashioned enough to prefer a printed book I can search.

I know of at least one former CL owner who has told the CMC what to do with their rulebook and their publicity. More trouble than they're worth apparently. No idea who, if anyone, exempts him now but he's as busy as ever.

Upvote 0

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
If you were certificated by one of the big clubs, you'd get all kinds of weirdos wanting to come and stay. But as a MH Fun certificated site, you would mainly get funsters staying. Oh... hold on a minute...

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back