How to replace Speedo cable, Ducato 2.8JTD, year 2000? (1 Viewer)

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Does anyone know how to replace the Speedo cable on a Ducato 2.8JTD, year 2000 please?

Specifically how do you get at the top connection to the rear of the instrument panel and how does it disconnect?

OP
OP
The Nomad

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Remove the instrument housing.Two screws at the front & two screws at the rear under the switches.

Thanks Tony - I can see the 2 screws at the front each side of the instrument panel (little torx ones I think), but could you help me with a little more with the exact location of the additional 2 screws please?

Also once I have withdrawn the 4 screws does the instrument panel just pull out towards the steering wheel.....is there enough "slack" in the speedo cable to allow that to happen, so that I can then reach behind the panel to disconnect it?

I REALLY appreciate your advice on this!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
since 2015 previously caravaning 25 years
You'll probably find you can pull the instrument panel forwards enough to disconnect the old cable, when the lower end is disconnected even easier.
If the inner cable is broken make sure the speedo head isn't seized or the new cable will be short lived !
To check if the head is ok all you need to do is insert a short piece of the original cable into the head and spin the cable.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Thanks Tony - I can see the 2 screws at the front each side of the instrument panel (little torx ones I think), but could you help me with a little more with the exact location of the additional 2 screws please?

Also once I have withdrawn the 4 screws does the instrument panel just pull out towards the steering wheel.....is there enough "slack" in the speedo cable to allow that to happen, so that I can then reach behind the panel to disconnect it?

I REALLY appreciate your advice on this!

Sony's description fits the later ducato (which doesn't have a speed o cable anyway) but not yours. On a year 2000 there are only the two screws in the instrument panel itself. You may be able to pull it out far enough to get your hand behind to disconnect the cable, (slide the outer ring back away from the panel) but it will be easier if you disconnect the gearbox end and pull the cable up into the engine bay a bit. You can then draw the panel out further to get at the rear of it.

D.

Lesleyfon88

Free Member
Feb 24, 2021
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Does anyone know how to replace the Speedo cable on a Ducato 2.8JTD, year 2000 please?

Specifically how do you get at the top connection to the rear of the instrument panel and how does it disconnect?
I am looking or a Fiat Ducato speedo cable for a 2001 2.8 JTD

Lesleyfon88

Free Member
Feb 24, 2021
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Can i ask where you got your replacement cable. Thought I had found one on ebay but when it came it was right hand drive

Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
since 2015 previously caravaning 25 years
If you’ve tried a Fiat dealer and a few motor factors then you could have one made by Speedy Cables

There will likely be various types depending on engine size and gearbox variations
This one could be a possibility? eBay item number: 222037307274

Chris

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2021
Funster No
MH
Adria Campervan
Sony's description fits the later ducato (which doesn't have a speed o cable anyway) but not yours. On a year 2000 there are only the two screws in the instrument panel itself. You may be able to pull it out far enough to get your hand behind to disconnect the cable, (slide the outer ring back away from the panel) but it will be easier if you disconnect the gearbox end and pull the cable up into the engine bay a bit. You can then draw the panel out further to get at the rear of it.

D.
Hi ! I have a 2004 Ducato 2.8 Automatic LHD. Does this have a speedo cable ? Asking as trying to remove instrument cluster. Have removed the 2 torx screws nearest to the windscreen. Unsure about how its fixed at steering wheel end . Thanks for any suggestions.

Nov 25, 2021
Funster No
MH
Adria Campervan
OK ! I have figured it out. NO speedo cable on the 2003 onwards (it seems). As has already been mentioned two screws are hiding under the two switches. Just carefully pry them out. It then takes a bit of juggling to get the housing away from the steering column housing best to loosen the screws holding it. Disconnecting the 3 wiring harness plugs is an easy task. Then ? hey ! it all separates OK.

cliveb58

Free Member
Jan 18, 2022
lancashire
Funster No
MH
2001 fiat ducato 2.8
Exp
my speedo packed up friday i set of on a 130 mile round trip after 31 miles it packed up iv removed cable seems to be intact clock is not stuck so this leave only the speedo drive in gearbox to be faulty as i put cable bak in to box drove camper with clocks out and cable didnt move but i cannot find speedo drive for gearbox on ebay any suggestions

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
my speedo packed up friday i set of on a 130 mile round trip after 31 miles it packed up iv removed cable seems to be intact clock is not stuck so this leave only the speedo drive in gearbox to be faulty as i put cable bak in to box drove camper with clocks out and cable didnt move but i cannot find speedo drive for gearbox on ebay any suggestions
I had a quick look and found this.

Midgetdisco

Free Member
Jan 31, 2022
Lowestoft, UK
Funster No
MH
Citroen Relay 1
Exp
Since 1988
If anyone is struggling to get the long speedo cable for the right hand drive Citroen relay, which I was, I brought the one for the left hand drive. Although it's 500mm shorter it is long enough if it isn't routed all around the engine bay.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back