How to replace a gas hob? (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Been a reasonable competent DIY person I would like to replace my now “caput“ three burner Dometic/Smeve gas hob in my Hymer. I have been on google for ideas of how to replace one but nothing really , most are for fitting a new one (diy VWs etc). Has any one replaced theirs? and how?. Of course after fitting I would have it checked by a safety gas person.

colyboy

OP
OP
colyboy
Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Photo of the Dometic hob. Top of hob and under hob (best I could take)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• C92DFB3F-958F-42DB-8365-B4BBB2C0384B.jpeg
    C92DFB3F-958F-42DB-8365-B4BBB2C0384B.jpeg
    101.6 KB · Views: 112
  • DECF9A2F-6E07-4901-A5D5-367FC927CC7B.jpeg
    DECF9A2F-6E07-4901-A5D5-367FC927CC7B.jpeg
    164.8 KB · Views: 111

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Are you fitting the same? if yes it should be quite straight forward as the biggest job would be if the gas was in a different place, should be held in by some little clips around the edge.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Why do you think you need to replace it as the only parts that can go wrong are the gas valves & the jets both easily replaceable.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
It's a very simple job to remove the old one. Disconnect the electric feed, and the gas. Then undo the clips holding it to the worktop. Or in this case the screws under the black bungs

Fitting the new one. Ensure it fits the current cutout, if like for like, that is simple. Sit the new hob in place with the supplied sealing gasket and do up the clips underneath, or screws. Reconnect the electric supply and line up the gas pipe to see if it fits. If not you will need to cut the pipe back, as the old copper will be brittle. Using a straight coupler and new pipe, carefully bend the new pipe to fit. Cut it to the right length and using a new olive secure to the hob and tighten the straight coupler. Turn the gas back on and leak test using detector spray, or if not available a dash of washing up liquid and water soak around the gas joints. If you see bubbles, you have a leak

If it is an identical hob, you just need to re-make one joint on the gas and test that

OP
OP
colyboy
Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
It’s the Gas connection i am having probs with, of course it is under the hob , three pipes going up to it. 1 is to the fridge. 2 to the oven/grill, but which is which?

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I do not know whether what I am writing is relevant to MHs.

The gas hob in the kitchen of our house in London rented out needed replacing, agent ordered one, but when the fitter came to fit it he refused because new regulations stipulate that there must be a 700mm spacing between the hob and overhead cupboards. This was confirmed by a second fitter contacted.

To achieve this meant considerable disruption and the tenants have decided to live with it rather than have the disruption.

It does however raise the point as to whether the same regulation would apply to MHs. Would a prfessional fitter refuse to replace a hob where 700mm spacing did not exist?

And further, which country's regulations should apply to MHs - the country of manufacture, the country of sale or the country of use. Do we technically breach the law if we take our MH from a country with lax laws to use where the laws are tighter? I shall not lose much sleep whatever the answer is, but just interested.

Geoff

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
They are still current in quite a few Hymer models.

Oh yeah---- Thetford

OP
OP
colyboy
Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
The Thetford 3 burner triangle is left handed or can still bur a right handed . Still available as this is the one I have just ordered to replace my knackered one.
Colyboy

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
It’s the Gas connection i am having probs with, of course it is under the hob , three pipes going up to it. 1 is to the fridge. 2 to the oven/grill, but which is which?
the connection that you are looking for is directly on the underside of the hob. Turn off all the gas at the locker before you begin

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Oh yeah---- Thetford

Nope Hymer fit Smeve.
This maybe the one.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-...0001&campid=5338547443&icep_item=302633143605

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
The gas hob in the kitchen of our house in London rented out needed replacing, agent ordered one, but when the fitter came to fit it he refused because new regulations stipulate that there must be a 700mm spacing between the hob and overhead cupboards. This was confirmed by a second fitter contacted.
We has similar problem in our house when refitting the kitchen. The gas hob not allowed to go back in same place because it was too near a window. We had to put it on inside wall which meant couldn’t easily route an extractor fan. MH regulations must be different.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
We has similar problem in our house when refitting the kitchen. The gas hob not allowed to go back in same place because it was too near a window. We had to put it on inside wall which meant couldn’t easily route an extractor fan. MH regulations must be different.
One advantage of DIY. :rofl:

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I do not know whether what I am writing is relevant to MHs.

To achieve this meant considerable disruption and the tenants have decided to live with it rather than have the disruption.

It does however raise the point as to whether the same regulation would apply to MHs. Would a prfessional fitter refuse to replace a hob where 700mm spacing did not exist?

And further, which country's regulations should apply to MHs - the country of manufacture, the country of sale or the country of use. Do we technically breach the law if we take our MH from a country with lax laws to use where the laws are tighter? I shall not lose much sleep whatever the answer is, but just interested.

Geoff
Technically, the regulation would apply, however if the OP fits the hob himself and connects the gas, a gas engineer should be able to test and issue a safety certificate stating it is not installed to current standards.

JFD

Apr 9, 2015
Crawley Down, West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Aventura G730
Exp
since 2014!
Having recently done similar work on our motorhome, I can confirm that it is quite simple. The only problem I came across was the old gas fitting - it was an absolute bu**er to undo without damaging the pipe. As it’s gas, you really don’t want to use heat to try to loosen the joints, and you don’t want to burr off the hex sections! I eventually managed to find spanners to fit exactly, and some suitable bits of pipe to give extra leverage, as the joints were extremely stiff. After fitting the new hob, don’t forget to check for leaks with some soapy water after changing the hob, but before screwing it down!!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back