How to remove wrench icon from dashboard display (1 Viewer)

Goose

Free Member
Aug 11, 2009
Somewhere in Europe
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Hi from sunny France.

Just before leaving the UK we had a major service done on the motorhome. Now we're in France the service wrench icon has appeared on the dashboard (with the comment "service coupon expired" appearing on start-up). I read in a previous thread that this can happen if a service occurs before schedule. I realize a dealer can easily remove the wrench icon but we're in France now.

Does anyone know how to remove the wrench icon from the dashboard display of a 2007 2.3Lt diesel Fiat Ducato, or could another kind Funster look at their Ducato handbook and let me know what it says (don't have a handbook). I found a 2004-5 Ducato handbook online but the removal procedure per the handbook doesn't apply to 2007 models.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi

Found this. I don't know whether it'll work but....

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Service_reset_for_2007_fiat_ducato

Link Removed
FiatDucatoServicereset.jpg

CFG1 = 30000km (18,600mi) and 365 days in cases of Standard Use for 2.0 petrol and 2.8JTD versions, or in the case of Severe Use for the 2.3JTD versions.

CFG2 = 20000km (12,500mi) and 365 days in case of Standard Use for 2.0JTD versions, or in case of severe use for 2.0 petrol and 2.8JTD versions

CFG3 = 15000km (9,300mi) and 365 days in case of Severe Use for 2.0JTD versions.
Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Autoquest

Free Member
Oct 13, 2008
Small EU backwater
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
I have my van serviced by an independant and he told me that Sevel have introduced a new OBD socket (OBD2) and this can only be accesed by a Sevel dealer and it's the only way to clear the service light. My Peugeot service costs about £100 and then I take it to my local Fiat dealer to reset the light... and he only charges £25 for five seconds work... Nice!

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
If it has an OBD11 socket , with a reader which you can buy on ebay for around £60 you can access the fault code and if insignificant, delete it. Warning,,, this could invalidate your warranty if you have one

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
Spot on works with all MK 2's; no need for fancy gadgets

Hi

Found this. I don't know whether it'll work but....

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Service_reset_for_2007_fiat_ducato

CFG1 = 30000km (18,600mi) and 365 days in cases of Standard Use for 2.0 petrol and 2.8JTD versions, or in the case of Severe Use for the 2.3JTD versions.

CFG2 = 20000km (12,500mi) and 365 days in case of Standard Use for 2.0JTD versions, or in case of severe use for 2.0 petrol and 2.8JTD versions

CFG3 = 15000km (9,300mi) and 365 days in case of Severe Use for 2.0JTD versions.
Sorry wouldn't copy/paste so imaged.

Link Removed

rob kinnear

Free Member
Nov 29, 2010
Swansea
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
1 year 10 years tugger
Here is a reply from another forum

Rob

. Setting of the parameters of the service indicator
The procedure for setting the parameters consists in selecting the appropriate service interval for the conditions in which the vehicle will be used from among the values programmed in the instrument panel.

Figure : e3bk00ud

This operation is carried out by configuration :
Place the ignition in position (MAR) first turn of key
Wait for the spanner warning light to finish flashing
Press the button at (b) for 5 seconds
The indication (cfg1) - (cfg 2) - (cfg 3) appears, the operation is confirmed
Press the button at (b) briefly to select the chosen configuration (cfg 1 - cfg 2 - cfg 3)
Press the button at (b) for 5 seconds to store the chosen configuration
Configuration table : Current operation
engine Duration Code
petrol engines 30000 km (18000 miles) or 2 year CGF 1
SOFIM 2.8 HDI - 2.0 HDI - 2.2 HDI 20000 km (12000 miles) or 2 year CFG 2
petrol engines 30000 km (18000 miles) or 2 year CGF 1
SOFIM 2.8 HDI - 2.0 HDI - 2.2 HDI 20000 km (12000 miles) or 2 year CFG 2

Configuration table : Arduous use
engine Duration Code
petrol engines 20000 km (12000 miles) or 1 year CFG 2
SOFIM 2.8 HDI - 2.0 HDI - 2.2 HDI 15000 km (9000 miles) or 1 year CFG 3

It worked on my ducato

OP
OP
Goose

Goose

Free Member
Aug 11, 2009
Somewhere in Europe
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Gosh! Thanks fellas. So many responses so quickly.

Haven't a clue which bulb you're talking about Pappajohn, but thanks for your help anyway.

American Dream, Schojac and Rob: thanks for your efforts but I have a feeling the procedures listed still relate to pre-2007 Ducatos because the info is similar to that I uncovered. In addition, the chap in the 2007 wiki-article specifically states he has followed the instructions with a 2005 Ducato!

I also cannot for the life of me figure out where "button B" (referred to in the instructions) is located. I suspect it refers to the odometer clearing button on pre-2007 models located within the transparent plastic cover over the odometer and rev counter. On 2007+ models this button no longer exists and is replaced by a push button at the end of the windscreen-wiper lever (and playing around with that button achieves nothing).

So, unless I'm mistaken, Larrynwin and Autoquest may be correct in saying the answer lies with the use of an OBD11 reader to clear the wrench icon. Fortunately, I picked one these readers up prior to leaving Canada and have it with me in the van (...in the off-chance...). So, hopefully I can locate the OBD socket tomorrow and clear the icon with the reader. Will let you know.

P.S. Am surprised there is nothing in the 2007+ Fiat Ducato handbooks, though.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
So, unless I'm mistaken, Larrynwin and Autoquest may be correct in saying the answer lies with the use of an OBD11 reader to clear the wrench icon. Fortunately, I picked one these readers up prior to leaving Canada and have it with me in the van (...in the off-chance...). So, hopefully I can locate the OBD socket tomorrow and clear the icon with the reader. Will let you know.

P.S. Am surprised there is nothing in the 2007+ Fiat Ducato handbooks, though.

Sounds like they might just have locked this down.

Had a similar thing on 2 cars and managed to reset without the ODB11 but........

Soon it may not be possible to do anything without taking the motor to a Dealer....

Anything's possible....if they write it into the ECU/Firmware:cry: Good Luck...:thumb:

Hope you sort it.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
The OBD11 socket on my RV is under the dash below the steering wheel, but many are under the hood.

OP
OP
Goose

Goose

Free Member
Aug 11, 2009
Somewhere in Europe
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Ugh!

I tried the OBD11 reader I have. You were right, Larrynwin, the OBD11 socket is under the sterring wheel on my Ducato. It's in the compartment housing all the fuses and is the 16-pin socket arranged in two rows of 8 pins.

There might, however, be a alsight difference between American OBD11 readers and European ones because I'm getting nowhere. In Canada you attach the reader to the socket and then turn the key to the first position in the ignition without starting the engine. This powers up the reader. But as soon as I attach the reader to the socket in the Ducato the reader immediately powers up and begins to read the vehicle's computer. Unfortunately, after 30 seconds the reader presents an error message which, according to the instruction manual, states that the reader is not reading the computer correctly.

So it is back to sourcing the removal-procedure from a handbook (thanks for the link Jhosrf) or buying a UK-made OBD11 reader...or finding the info somewhere else on the internet. I suspect, however, that an OBD11 reader will be required.

OP
OP
Goose

Goose

Free Member
Aug 11, 2009
Somewhere in Europe
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Have made some progress with this problem for what it's worth.

This link deals with the issue at length (hope it's okay to provide the link):

http://www.fiatforum.com/stilo/98711-service-due-indicator-reset.html

Basically, it appears that only a Fiat dealership can cancel the service-due wrench icon...and they use their special Examiner computer equipment to do so. So it looks like you were right, American Dream.

It appears that my OBD11 reader might reveal error codes when the engine light comes on (which hopefully it won't). But the service-due (wrench) icon is completely different and requires a Fiat dealer to remove.

So that's that. Thanks for the help everyone.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I have just had a Fiat service they tell me they have to go through a menu to reset the mileage and oil change due trips?I did read on another forum that the new x250 uses different software so generic type will not work?

OP
OP
Goose

Goose

Free Member
Aug 11, 2009
Somewhere in Europe
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Thought I'd update the forum on this saga to assist those who might experience the same issue in future.

Have driven a further 1000-1500kms from the odometer reading when the wrench icon appeared and it's now disappeared!!!! Gone!

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi Goose.

Hope you're having a great time.

The unexplained scenario of the disappearing wrench eh?
Good to hear it's gone but would be nice to know why?

I have the seat belt warning light on....Only since the RAC did a battery check on the car, and pronounced it fine, after I left the lights on and flattened it...Doh:Doh: Been told that's dealer only....:Angry:

Reset the service light myself after I did the necessary service items.

Steve.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Hi Goose , glad its gone , I hate having warning lights on that shouldn't be there.
Incidentally, I did buy my OBD11 reader in the UK and it has worked fine in my last two RVs. I think Fiat and perhaps some other manufacturers block user interference in their software setup and only their readers will work

Larry

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
probably because the wrench dropped off the dashboard, try looking under the seat. hee hee

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Congratulations
On being the first on here to benifit from our newest piece of equipment
Our remote GPS diagnostic equipment was tested on your vehicle and we switched off your offending spanner remotely via your sat nav's GPS connection:thumb:
Please post your billing address for the invoice:RollEyes:
Geo
Pecks Hill Garage

OP
OP
Goose

Goose

Free Member
Aug 11, 2009
Somewhere in Europe
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
:ROFLMAO:

Good chirp, Geo.

Thanks for everyone's input.

I can only think the service icon automatically disappears after a certain number of miles/kilometers (Fiat determined?) have been travelled.

Either that or Geo really did work some magic :Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back