How to remove Chasson driver's seat (1 Viewer)

Saltings

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
Buckinghamshire, U.K.
Funster No
MH
Chasson C626 Flash
Exp
since 2115
The clever French have placed the Hab. Battery directly beneath the drivers seat (RHS of vehicle)! There are two bolts on each runner at the back (i.e. 4 in total) and 1 grub screw at the front of the runner.

May I assume it is just these that require removing to be able to change the Hab. Battery.

Model is a 2014 Chasson Flash C626.

Some owners I recall have it under the passenger seat (LHS of vehicle).
Cheers
Saltings

OP
OP
Saltings

Saltings

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
Buckinghamshire, U.K.
Funster No
MH
Chasson C626 Flash
Exp
since 2115
Hi John

Thanks for answering re: Chausson Flash 626 - sorry forgot to include - it is a Fiat 2.3 Ducato reg. 2014 (right hand drive)
Cheers

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
If it's anything like my 2017 you have to remove the base-plate and it's probably easiest just to take it all off together ... unless anyone knows better?!

The assumption being it's a Captains chair that swivels round - if not, ignore this ;)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Normally just the 4 bolts, not advisable to do it on your own due to the weight.
It's not just Chausson that fit batteries under the seats loads of vans with single floors have them mounted there. Transits even have the starter battery under the seat.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
On our 2017 based Fiat, you need to remove the plastic sides and rear.
Take the cap screws out front and rear, there is what looks like welds on the seat base frame and underneath there are 2 13mm nuts which you need to remove and at the rear on the passenger side of the seat frame is a thin flat bolt which is the swivel stop this needs removing. Disconnect the wiring looms under the seat and it will lift out and its heavy believe me.

John.

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Just a thought, but are you certain it's the habitation battery under the seat and not the vehicle battery? I mention this because our previous van was a Chausson Flash 03 (2007) and the starter battery was under the drivers seat. The habitation battery was under the floor of the garage. I appreciate it's a different model and a different base vehicle (ours was a Ford Transit) but I'd hate you to go to all that trouble and then find it's the wrong battery. Only suggesting you double-check if you are not 100% certain. Hope it goes well for you.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Just a thought, but are you certain it's the habitation battery under the seat and not the vehicle battery? I mention this because our previous van was a Chausson Flash 03 (2007) and the starter battery was under the drivers seat. The habitation battery was under the floor of the garage. I appreciate it's a different model and a different base vehicle (ours was a Ford Transit) but I'd hate you to go to all that trouble and then find it's the wrong battery. Only suggesting you double-check if you are not 100% certain. Hope it goes well for you.
Fait batteries are mounted under the floor on the drivers side (LHD) so it will be hab batteries under the seats. Had a low profile Hymer, Elektroblock and battery under one seat and 2nd battery under other seat, fairly standard arrangement.

OP
OP
Saltings

Saltings

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
Buckinghamshire, U.K.
Funster No
MH
Chasson C626 Flash
Exp
since 2115
Hi, yes 100% certain as the motor battery is under the floor on the left hand side beneath the passengers foot well. Voltage also corresponds as a double check. Thaks for the comment tho'.

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Hi, yes 100% certain as the motor battery is under the floor on the left hand side beneath the passengers foot well. Voltage also corresponds as a double check. Thaks for the comment tho'.

It's good that you are certain. :) Just wanted to mention it as my Chausson was different, as indeed is my current Auto-Sleeper.

OP
OP
Saltings

Saltings

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
Buckinghamshire, U.K.
Funster No
MH
Chasson C626 Flash
Exp
since 2115
Cheers. What is the reason so many MH's have them in such an awkward place? Surely when designing the layout they should be placed in either the garage compartment, or within the lounge area with the usual safety pipes to drain off any excess gases produced? It seems strange that you pay a fortune for your MH but a basic design feature is forgotten about. :(

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Cheers. What is the reason so many MH's have them in such an awkward place? Surely when designing the layout they should be placed in either the garage compartment, or within the lounge area with the usual safety pipes to drain off any excess gases produced? It seems strange that you pay a fortune for your MH but a basic design feature is forgotten about. :(
They normally use a Gel or AGM that don't need venterlation and Gels are know to last many years often 8 or 9 year or more.

OP
OP
Saltings

Saltings

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
Buckinghamshire, U.K.
Funster No
MH
Chasson C626 Flash
Exp
since 2115
They normally use a Gel or AGM that don't need venterlation and Gels are know to last many years often 8 or 9 year or more.
Thanks Lenny, will have to look at replacing with one or the other in September when we are back - any suggestions that you have had experience with?

Is it possible to link up a second Hab. battery to the first one that is under the seat. My thoughts are we could then carry another Hab. battery that I have after trickle charging to top it up - although it is pretty well fully charged now. One problem is trying to get at the original terminals under the seat. Safety with gases is another aspect.

OP
OP
Saltings

Saltings

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
Buckinghamshire, U.K.
Funster No
MH
Chasson C626 Flash
Exp
since 2115
Hi Lenny

I note that AGM's get some poor press as they require such a high voltage when charging (14.7v) whereas we charge at way below that at between 13.5v and 14v

Victron, who you have mentioned before have a good PDF on batteries.
pdf.png

Mar 21, 2017
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Two batteries will fit under the seat.

Nothing wrong with AGM if the charger you use has the correct regime.

I know I'll get slammed for this but modern sealed maintenance free lead acid batteries don't need to be vented, but can be if you wish.

Many more people die from driving vans than from having unvented batteries under the seat.

OP
OP
Saltings

Saltings

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
Buckinghamshire, U.K.
Funster No
MH
Chasson C626 Flash
Exp
since 2115
Cheers will take a look and measure them up. I assume it is possible to buy cables that will connect and still fit in?

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Our van had 1 battery and I fitted a second one which the existing battery clamp fitted to both batteries,
I measured the length of cable required and a local auto electricians made me the appropriate leads and clamps for £9 so they fitted perfectly.
I also put pipe insulation over the battery clamps and leads so no fear of being rubbed under the seat.

John.

OP
OP
Saltings

Saltings

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
Buckinghamshire, U.K.
Funster No
MH
Chasson C626 Flash
Exp
since 2115
Our van had 1 battery and I fitted a second one which the existing battery clamp fitted to both batteries,
I measured the length of cable required and a local auto electricians made me the appropriate leads and clamps for £9 so they fitted perfectly.
I also put pipe insulation over the battery clamps and leads so no fear of being rubbed under the seat.

John.
Hi John

Thanks for those two tips. I understand from the websites that you should start with two new batteries, same amps, brand and if possible when made to ensure an even flow. Even so after a period one battery will gradually loose its power so "may" require replacing. If they fit this could be a better option than a Gel battery?

Mar 21, 2017
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Failing what John said above you can find various amp, length and terminals.

What you said is true within reason, if you have one lightly used year old battery you know is in good condition, adding another one would be fine, even if it wasn't the same Ah.

Why are you needing to get to the battery?

OP
OP
Saltings

Saltings

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
Buckinghamshire, U.K.
Funster No
MH
Chasson C626 Flash
Exp
since 2115
Failing what John said above you can find various amp, length and terminals.

What you said is true within reason, if you have one lightly used year old battery you know is in good condition, adding another one would be fine, even if it wasn't the same Ah.

Why are you needing to get to the battery?
Rather a protracted story but basically the hab. battery was not being charged during the winter even with solar cells and the EHU. The dealers said it was a faulty battery so replaced it with a new one. Same story - flat again after a few weeks. So when it went for the Hab. check and engine service I supplied them with our old battery that was holding its charge well and had that fitted. Now it is the same problem again - hab. battery losing charge and relying on me trickle charging it once a week (without it being used). The EHU will not charge it for some reason although it keeps the motor battery topped up.
What I did find was that the dealers had connected the incorrect wires in the Solar Charger! So instead of getting a 70% charge to the Hab. battery the motor battery was getting it instead. Have rectified that and changed the leads over in the Controller hopefully by tonight I "may" see some improvement - fingers crossed!
Steep learning curve as this is only our 3rd summer. Year one was fine and she sailed through the winter charging everything via the Solar Panel, but next winter and that changed.
John has suggested a GEL battery instead so will look at that in September. Removing the seat is the main problem as always - need two beefy guys.(y)

Mar 21, 2017
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Right, I see. You definitely need to sort the charging on hook-up before you invest in gel.

You can maintenance charge the hab battery through a 12v socket if you have one, save removing the seat.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Hi Lenny

I note that AGM's get some poor press as they require such a high voltage when charging (14.7v) whereas we charge at way below that at between 13.5v and 14v

Victron, who you have mentioned before have a good PDF on batteries.
pdf.png
Having had AGM's fail in less than 18 months wouldn't touch them with a barge pole, even now Hymer fit the Varta AGM rather than the rubbish Banners they used to fit and they now fit the correct charger if you scan the German forums you will see they are still failing. As far as I'm awear there is no such thing as a purpose built AGM leisure battery they are all starter batteries designed for stop/start cars with a few of them marketed as Dual purpose. I replaced the AGM's with Gel's and in the new Hymer I have fitted 3 Gel's.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
I agree with Lenny, wouldn't touch another AGM battery for leisure use. I use gels, but I would strongly suggest you browse

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk...-batteries-damaging-Motorhome-chargers/47421/

And other threads he has posted, as well as his website. He is biased towards conventional lead acid batteries, but he makes some good points, and more importantly seems to have good reason to know what he is talking about.

Malcolm

Mar 21, 2017
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I agree with Lenny, wouldn't touch another AGM battery for leisure use. I use gels, but I would strongly suggest you browse

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk...-batteries-damaging-Motorhome-chargers/47421/

And other threads he has posted, as well as his website. He is biased towards conventional lead acid batteries, but he makes some good points, and more importantly seems to have good reason to know what he is talking about.

Malcolm

That's an understatement. Is the Bosch/Varta enhanced high tech Powerframe battery really the best battery in the world?

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
I think he uses value for money in his arguments, eg a lead acid won't last as long as an expensive gel, but you can replace a lead acid when it fails and still have money left over from the gel price. I've got gels 'cos it's such a pain to remove my seats to change batteries, otherwise I probably would followed his advice.

Malcolm

OP
OP
Saltings

Saltings

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
Buckinghamshire, U.K.
Funster No
MH
Chasson C626 Flash
Exp
since 2115

Hi Lenny
prior to purchasing a battery, any recommendations regarding 110amph GEL or lead acid, as we have to remove the front seat, I want to be certain we are putting in a decent battery this time.

cheers
Saltings

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
For a start you need to be certian that your charger can charge Gels correctly.
Unlikely to get a 110a/h Gel to fit under the seat and it would be very expensive. An 80a/h Gel will give similar performance to a 110a/h wet lead acid as they can tolerate a much higher DOD (depth of discharge). It is not recomended to discharge a wet cell more than 50% but a Gel can be discharged to 80% and still give a long life.
The Exide G80 & the Sonnenschein SL75 (78a/h at 20 hour rate) are virtualy the same battery both made by Sonnenschein (an Exide company).
I have 3 of the Sonnenschein SL75's in my van and their performance is very good.

OP
OP
Saltings

Saltings

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
Buckinghamshire, U.K.
Funster No
MH
Chasson C626 Flash
Exp
since 2115
For a start you need to be certian that your charger can charge Gels correctly.
Unlikely to get a 110a/h Gel to fit under the seat and it would be very expensive. An 80a/h Gel will give similar performance to a 110a/h wet lead acid as they can tolerate a much higher DOD (depth of discharge). It is not recomended to discharge a wet cell more than 50% but a Gel can be discharged to 80% and still give a long life.
The Exide G80 & the Sonnenschein SL75 (78a/h at 20 hour rate) are virtualy the same battery both made by Sonnenschein (an Exide company).
I have 3 of the Sonnenschein SL75's in my van and their performance is very good.
Cheers Lenny

Open question to all - following on from Lenny's recommendation does anyone know if the CTEK 5 charger can charge the EXIDE G80 GEL battery or the Sonnenshein SL75 battery, both approx. 75-80 ampH.?
Cheers
Saltings

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Although it says suitable for Gel's it uses the same charge regime as it does for wet cells so IMO No. Also it's only 5 amp you really need a 15-20amp charger.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back