How to remove ceiling panels? (1 Viewer)

sandied

Free Member
Sep 21, 2010
Essex
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starfire
Exp
2 years
Hello there we wondered if anyone would be abl to help. We have recently bought an Autocruise Starfire and would like to bolt a roofbox onto it. Is there a simple way of removing the ceiling panels over the kitchen sink so as to secure the box properly. We don't want it flying off while we are driving along. Any suggestions would be useful. thanks

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
think you'll find the ceiling panel is part of the roof 'sandwich'

ie: (from the top) fiberglass, ply, polystyrene, ply with a decorative covering material.

as others have said...sikaflex adhesive/sealer and short screws.

you will find a roof box will increase your fuel consumption slightly due to extra drag/wind resistance.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Dont...EVER screw,bolt anything to the roof unless you want problems in the future.
If there is roof rails affix to these.If not get a back box.
With the constant movement and vibration of a motorhome,its only a matter of time before the seal breaks and you have a damp problem.
One more thing...do you realy want to be climbing up on the roof everytime you want somthing out of the box?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Dont...EVER screw,bolt anything to the roof unless you want problems in the future.
If there is roof rails affix to these.If not get a back box.
With the constant movement and vibration of a motorhome,its only a matter of time before the seal breaks and you have a damp problem.
One more thing...do you realy want to be climbing up on the roof everytime you want somthing out of the box?

had a look on yer roof recently Dave ?

your TV mast base will be screwed and glued......

your black tank vent tube and fridge flue will be screwed and glued....

the base for your roof fans/vents will be screwed and glued....

the list goes on.

nothing wrong with screws if you seal them properly, and the clues in the name...sikaFLEX...none hardening sealant/adhesive:thumb:::bigsmile:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Mine has been on for 3 yrs plus without leaking ( yet :winky: ) but it does cost 4 mpg :Eeek: and about 10 mph off top speed :ROFLMAO:
terry
seriously thinking about making a back box and removing the roof box

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
had a look on yer roof recently Dave ?

your TV mast base will be screwed and glued......

your black tank vent tube and fridge flue will be screwed and glued....

the base for your roof fans/vents will be screwed and glued....

the list goes on.

nothing wrong with screws if you seal them properly, and the clues in the name...sikaFLEX...none hardening sealant/adhesive:thumb:::bigsmile:
Yer right there John,it is sikiflex and screws...but then coated with liquid rubber...ya cant do that with a roofbox cos ya wouldnt be able ta open it.:winky:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Personally I wouldn't have a roof box.. as already said they cost money to run, are dangerous to use and a security risk... if you can get on the roof, so can the scrotes.. why I don't like fixed ladders.

A back box would be my choice .. but before buying I would seriously question the need.. as back boxes are also a security risk and IMO look horrible ..

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Personally I wouldn't have a roof box.. as already said they cost money to run, are dangerous to use and a security risk... if you can get on the roof, so can the scrotes.. why I don't like fixed ladders.

A back box would be my choice .. but before buying I would seriously question the need.. as back boxes are also a security risk and IMO look horrible ..

now, a backbox on wheels...different matter :winky:

Link Removed

OP
OP
S

sandied

Free Member
Sep 21, 2010
Essex
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starfire
Exp
2 years
Ceiling Panels

A big thankyou to everyone for your suggestions. We wanted to try and free up some extra space within the motorhome from all of the paraphenalia thats not going to be needed all the time but obviously in an emergency. Ed has built a streamlined box for this purpoose. We may go down the route of fixing it onto the roof rails with the adhesive and screws rather than bolting it onto the roof. You have certainly given us something to consider.
We will be having our first week away in the van later this month and we are still trying to work out what we need etc. We have found this site really useful as there are so many tips and points of view on here.So thanks again.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back