Free Member
Jan 15, 2019
Secret Underground Chimp Bunker
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E562
Exp
Enough
The dealer recently changed our water pump and although it works fine it seems louder than the old one.

Any easy ways to make it quieter?

Also our Alde heating system has a quiet whir/buzz when it’s running, is this normal and again any tips to make it quieter?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
There will be an exhaust gas fan running inside the boiler so I guess you can hear that, also of course the pump for the water side of the heating.

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The Alde noise I can hear comes from the wardrobe where the fluid top up is.
That will be the pump for circulation, they are either in the header tank or they are a inline pump near to the boiler, if the fluid drops it might get a bit noisier(y)

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
It is a quiet whir but I like silence when I am trying to get to sleep.
Ours is always silent at night,

Turn the heating off softy;)

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
That’s exactly what we have been doing but the Mrs would like to leave it on low so the mornings are a little warmer.

If I understood the programming I could set the timers!
Our heater timer is usually me getting up to switch the kettle and heating on then diving back in bed till it boils :D2

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If the water pump is pulsing and making a lot of noise fitting an accumulator should cure it.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Our circulation pump in the wardrobe was getting noisy so I replaced it-------- I have to get right up to it now to hear it-------- but we never run heating all night we prefer to be cool at night!!--- we don't have a timer so don't have the option of getting it to start before we get up!!!------- check that the fluid level is correct, low level can make noise!
Our water pump was quite noisy and I put a small piece of foam rubber where the exit pipe was touching a part of the vans bodywork--- that made a massive difference.
On RVs they put a short piece of Flexi pipe either side of the pump to help silence it-------- but if you have a sureflow type of pump you will always hear it
Is the pump secured properly with rubber insulators????
Edit----- our wardrobe is chock-a-block maybe that's why we can't hear our circulation pump!!!!!!!

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The Alde header tank pump is their "light duty" pump and can be replaced by one next to the boiler. If your boiler is more distant from your bed than the header tank that might be a (probably expensive) solution.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
That’s exactly what we have been doing but the Mrs would like to leave it on low so the mornings are a little warmer.
!
I get up, put on heating and take my wife a cup of tea, I love my wife.
I also love clean shirts, cooked dinners, a peaceful existence, etc. :LOL:

OP
OP
M-J

M-J

Free Member
Jan 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E562
Exp
Enough
Ref my water pump, going to put some firm foam underlay under it and some rubber washers under the screws.

Apr 2, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
Have you checked the pump speed. There are five settings, either accessed on a dial on the pump, or via the service menu on the display panel. It is set to 5 for installation and bleeding, but is noisy. The installer/fitter is the supposed to turn it down to an appropriate level, which is 2 or 3, according to Alde. Exactly which is appropriate is down to size and complexity of the pipe runs. Our 7.4 metre Rapido 8066df is now set to 2, and it's fine. As you may guess, I learnt this via Google, because our pump was noisy, and you've guessed it, still set to 5. Not picked up at PDI.

Bonkers the Dog

Free Member
Nov 9, 2018
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
2 yrs
Yessss...same issue here, our sureflo diaphragm pump could wake the dead when it fires up! The standing order is now not to use it during the night as its under the bed (SWMBO's side) and wakes me up.

I checked it out the other day and there are rubber grommets under the screws and mounting bracket but they are very puny. I am thinking up a plan to isolate the whole unit from the van superstructure to eliminate vibration transfer. THe question is how? I had also thought about boxing it in with a well damped, DIY cover but this won't affect the noise being transmitted directly through the points of contact.

Any other suggestions would be gratefully received.

Apr 2, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
The Alde isn’t THAT noisy but I will definitely check.
Worth checking certainly, because if it is running fast, even if the noise isn't excessive, it probably won't do it any good long term

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
A lot of the water pump noise is transmitted through the pipes, that's why RVers fit soft Flexi pipe either side of the pump--- ours has rigid plastic pipe which started vibrating on part of the bodywork----hence the bit of foam, which made a massive difference!!
With our caravan the pump is in an outside container so we can't hear it at all------- I actually prefer to be able to hear it running.

OP
OP
M-J

M-J

Free Member
Jan 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E562
Exp
Enough
So, pump fixings removed, pieces of foam put under rubber mounts and then refixed. I also noticed one of the pipe elbows resting on the plastic wheel arch cover so have also put foam under that.

Waiting for the Mrs to get home so I can get the mattress back on to see exactly how much better it is. Will update again later.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back